Author Topic: Titanium Frame  (Read 30064 times)

Offline jetman

Re: Titanium Frame
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2008, 12:46:04 PM »
I'd DEFINIETLY be in line for a Ti framed version and would pay the difference in price for one!

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2008, 06:38:58 PM »

I am repeating myself again but I too would like to see a carbon steel, stainless steel, scandium or  titanium frame become available.  I love my R9's and would like the extra strength and heft of these materials.  These materials wouldn't increase the size at all and would add a little heft which would help with recoil/target reaquisition.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2011, 08:21:53 PM »
I just don't trust the Aluminum frame to hold up for years and years.  I know it would cost quite a bit more but I would like to see a Rohrbaugh with a Titanium frame.  The weight of the Rohrbaugh is not an issue for me it is the size and proportions and smooth edges that I like so the added weight of a Titamium frame would not bother me at all.

Mike

I have a Colt Lightweight commander made in 1951 and I have personally put about 10,000 rds through it.  What's not to trust about aluminum.   The first aluminum receivers were made in 1949 by Alcoa for both high standard and Colt although High Standard got their .22 to market first.   They've been around for a long time.

Titanium is very hard to machine and investment cast as Caspian is finding out.  Lots of frames returned because of casting flaws.   The loss rate on frames is high adding to the cost of production.   The rohrbaugh already costs almost $100 an ounce at retail.   How much more would you pay for a heavier gun.   Titanium is heavier than aluminum but 40% lighter than steel.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 08:24:33 PM by flintsghost »
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Offline Webstrands

• Considering Purchase
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 05:54:14 PM »
I used to have a Colt Lightweight Commander (aluminum frame) that I put over 1,000 rounds through with no adverse effect on the frame.  I would not worry about a Rohrbaugh with an aluminum frame which is COSS (Carried-Often-Shot-Seldom).

webstrands
webstrands

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2012, 12:17:12 AM »
Webstrands, welcome to the forum.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2012, 09:09:54 PM »
What are people's opinions on the aluminum framed Heizer DoubleTap?

The only thing that I was worried about was the aluminum frame holding up.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 10:04:42 AM »
A derringer is not typically a range gun.  Not a gun most people would put thousands of rounds in per year, much less in a lifetime.

I doubt a few hundred for that matter.

I shoot a derringer in competition some and don't believe I've shot more than 250 rounds in 5 years.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 10:13:21 AM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2012, 10:08:06 AM »
snafu
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 10:11:18 AM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE