Author Topic: My Boberg XR9-S Review  (Read 19120 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: My Boberg XR9-S Review
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 10:04:20 AM »
I have the R9, a PM9, a Solo, and a XR9s.  As the R9 is the smallest and lightest of the bunch, it has the most recoil.  The Solo and  the PM9 are about the same as far as recoil goes and the XR9s is by far the easiest to shoot.

They are all very good pistols so it boils down to how you are going to carry.  I would say almost anyone could pocket carry a R9.  The PM9 and the Solo are heavier and shaped different making them more difficult, and the XR9s is the heaviest and more noticable to me than the PM9 or the Solo.  The R9 literally disapears in my pocket.

Offline socialwork911

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 12:15:52 PM »
thanks for the video on recoil....guess it is always an individual thing....I really like the small foot print of the r9...like to see it measured up the the boberg....I did fire the r9 and it had a lot of recoil when shoot one handed...which is how i base shooting a cc...maybe i go with the r380...love to shoot one...if anyone has a r380 in the SE FLA area..love to meet at a range and try your pup

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 02:39:26 PM »
I will be attending the Wanenmacher show in Tulsa, OK this year, and need to have some money put back for it!! 

I made a weekend out of the November show last year.  Had a great time walking the floor with a friend and met up with several more friends for dinner, drinks, and cigars after the show.  I'll probably plan a repeat for 2012 so I may see you there!

It would be nice to meet a fellow R9 enthusiast.  So few of us out here in my neck of the woods.  I'll be there for sure!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 08:25:23 PM »
Well I got the p7.  As luck would have it I just secured a reasonable deal on a XR9-S Platinum which I will receive in the coming week or so.   I'll have to find something else now at the Tulsa show. 
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 09:45:57 PM »
Thor, congrats on the XR9S platinum!  The P7, as with most unusual pistols, must either fit your hand, or not.  I tried to love the one I found, but simply couldn't make it feel right...a problem that is well known with that pistol.  Those who love them, really love them.  I do agree with MRC's 8/23 post...I don't have a Solo, but carry the R9 daily, carry an LWS .32 when clothing demands something really small, and when possible, carry the XR9S or  kimber CDPII Ultra .45 OWB...just can't seem to make the Boberg feel right in a pocket. 

What a wonderful time to have so many choices....we should all consider this when it's time to vote this November.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 11:59:16 PM »
Thor - congratulations on your latest acquitions!  :)     Enjoy

Backup - That is too bad that you could not warm up to the P7.  I know  some guys freak out or get a little creeped out by having to hold that squeeze cocker in, but to me it is a natural thing.  And the gun is such a dream to shoot, and so darn accurate.  And in my opinion, sans the "healer" , the P7M8/M13 invented the term "ergonomic" as far as handguns go.

But agreed, it is a great time to have so many choices.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 01:32:28 AM »
Well I got the p7.  As luck would have it I just secured a reasonable deal on a XR9-S Platinum which I will receive in the coming week or so.   I'll have to find something else now at the Tulsa show.

Now what were you saying about not getting both?   ;D
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 02:33:11 AM »
Reinz - I am in the same boat as you on the P7's.  The squeeze cocking pistol just feels pretty natural - it is close to a 15lb squeeze to cock it, but only about 1.5lb to hold it in.  The 15lb may sound like a lot but when you're using 3 fingers, it is really just as smooth as can be.   And yes, that little guy is incredibly accurate.

Here's some photo's for your enjoyment!

Now what were you saying about not getting both?   ;D

Although I haven't taken delivery of the Boberg XR9-S Platinum, I completely put my foot in my mouth on that one!!  The only thing I am looking for is a Crimson Trace LG-907 round tail laser grip for my SW 1911SC E Class.  Found a very good deal tonight, however I am going to do a little more research on the website, looking up their BBB rating and reviews because the price is literally 50-70 cheaper than everyone else and it's almost too good of a deal.

Now I am thinking that one of the Kel-Tec KSG's might be pretty fun to have.  Hopefully by the Tulsa Show in November, the prices will have returned to somewhat of a normal state, closer to the $880 MSRP.
- George Washington

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 02:40:32 AM »
What a wonderful time to have so many choices....we should all consider this when it's time to vote this November.

Darn right!!!
- George Washington

Offline billib

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 06:16:37 PM »
Years ago a good friend of mine had an
H&K P7. He and I would go to the range
and shoot for hours. I was battling
cancer at the time and would spend
many hours a day their. I of course
shot my friends P7 and loved how
easy it was to shoot and how accurate
it was. His P7 had a european style
magazine release and when they became
available with the US style ambidextrous
mag release I bought the M8 (8 shot)
version and enjoyed shooting it so much
I later bought the M13 (13 shot) version
as well.
Times change though, the assault rifle ban
kicked in and the value of my P7's more
than doubled. Its funny, the P7 used an
ingenious gas delayed blowback locking
system that stored the HOT gas for a short
period of time in a chamber above the
trigger guard. By the time you sent 50
rounds down the barrel your trigger finger
was beginning to get cooked. Literally!
They were also extraordinarily heavy for
a small gun. I guess what I'm trying to
say is they weren't ideal Range or
concealed carry  weapons.

Lets see, to hot, to heavy, double your
investment. Selling them for more than
double what I paid was kinda' nice. I do
miss the old P7's but I wouldn't buy one
today.

I do have a question, is anyone familiar
with the H&K P2000? Its Double Action
LEM trigger sounds kind of interesting.
Its a Double Action on every shot and
has a spring in the grip that pre-loads
the trigger pull reducing its feel buy
about half. Their are several versions
and the lightest LEM Double Action trigger
pull is 4.5 lbs. Thats right, every shot is
Double Action and 4.5 lbs....thats what
I would call a modern pistol.

Knowing H&K its (the weight of the pistols)
probably way to heavy.
Anyone???

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:16:17 PM by billib »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 01:20:55 PM »
Clean looking P7 Thor - looks brand new!

BillyB - good points, and they sure do get hot!  That "heat sheild" they went to is a joke.

One member here that used to post, has a P2000, and raved about it's accuracy.
And of course, being HK, you better save your pennies.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline billib

• Expert
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2012, 02:32:13 AM »
Yah, H&K are very proud of themselves and
charge accordingly. They tend to make very
interesting guns. Some fascinating as well as
revolutionary and some.......not so much.
I'd be interested in the smallest version of
the P2000 if its not to heavy. I'll have to get
off my lazy a** and look it up.

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2012, 08:13:14 AM »
I do have a question, is anyone familiar with the H&K P2000? Its Double Action LEM trigger sounds kind of interesting.

billib I have 3 H&K pistols - all with the LEM trigger you mention. A P2000SK in .40, a P30 in 9mm and a 45C in .45 and I love them all. My R9 is my carry gun when I can't take one of the others which is likely to be the 45C or the P2000SK - the P30 is mostly a range gun.

The LEM trigger seems to be a love it or hate it proposition but most H&K shooters love it. In use it's almost like a two stage trigger with a long light pull up until sear break with a short reset for follow up shots and the capability of a second strike (with a higher trigger pull as the hammer spring is not "pre-cocked" for any second strike).

Offline billib

• Expert
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2012, 05:20:02 AM »
Thanks JR, I've sorta' become interested in
H&K's small pistols like the P2000sk. Their
LEM Trigger at 4.5 lbs for the variation 2
is an interesting pistol.

I forgot to mention that I think "Second
Strike" capability is very important. Thats
one of the reasons I think Glock has passed
its prime. The 4th Gen. Glocks could have
included it but they decided to just punt.
They are really no more sophisticated than
a one hundred year old Colt 1911. Polymer
and Striker fired just isn't enough.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 08:03:45 PM by billib »

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2012, 05:48:57 PM »
Took the Boberg out to the range again this weekend and ran a terminal test on the Underwood 115 Grain +P+ after Arne gave us his blessing that it was safe in the XR9-S.  1333 fps for the 5 shot average.  Tested shot was going 1350 fps.  That's 465 ft/lbs of energy from a pocket 9.  Crazy.....  Full report coming along later.

Realistically, I'll probably step down to Underwood 115 grain +P, which should make 1200-1250 easily in the shorty.  That's right about the speed and energy you get from Speer Gold Dot 115 grain from a Glock 17.
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com