Author Topic: Safety  (Read 1626 times)

Offline 75scout

Safety
« on: June 10, 2007, 10:38:37 PM »
What is the number of safties the R9 has?  And what type?

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
Re: Safety
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 12:39:48 AM »
Keep your finger off the trigger.... ;)

Of course there are various internal safe guards..
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 01:01:44 AM »
The fireing pin must be struck very hard to fire a round.  The hammer is made so that it would be extremely difficult to drop the gun on an object small and hard enough and do so with enough force to cause the gun to fire.  The gun has a DA trigger pull so you pretty much have to pull the trigger intentionally.  So when it comes down to it you are the safety.  Don't pull the trigger and it will not fire.  This is how it should be for a self defense gun.  If the R9 were equiped with some kind of a manual safety it would be to tempting to keep it engaged all the time and chances are good that unless you are very familiar and comfortable with firearms that the safety would be forgotten and the gun would not fire when your a** was on the line.

In the long history of firearms, safety's are a relatively modern invention.
Safety's are for people who should not be handling firearms in the first place.  This is my opinion only.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline arjuna70

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 12:33:34 PM »
Safety's are for people who should not be handling firearms in the first place.  This is my opinion only.
Mike

Well I'm not sure I agree with that opinion, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  I do understand his point, I just don't agree with it.  

I'm not sure what the internal safeties are on the R9.  I should know them, since I do carry it.

You could always carry the gun not chambered.  You would then need to draw and rack at the same time.  I believe that is the way it is done in Israel where they cannot carry with a chambered round.

Clearly for defense, this is not ideal.  But everyone is different and everyone has a different comfort level with firearms.  Just another option.
A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

Offline 75scout

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 08:30:41 PM »
Clearly there are no manual safeties.  I was only inquiring as to any internal safeties.  I could not find any info on firing pin blocks ect.  I am very comfortable with firearms and personally feel manual safeties are only needed on SAO guns.

I am only asking because I plan to buy a R380 for off duty use when I graduate the police academy.  But if a certain gun isn't approved yet, and I doubt the Rohrbaughs are approved yet, you have to let the range staff inspect and test the gun in order to approve it.

Offline arjuna70

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 01:27:04 PM »
Clearly there are no manual safeties.  I was only inquiring as to any internal safeties.  I could not find any info on firing pin blocks ect.  I am very comfortable with firearms and personally feel manual safeties are only needed on SAO guns.

Your best bet would probably be to call Rohrbaugh directly. I think they are away until June 14.    I had a problem and the big guy returned my call personally.  Just tell them that you are a LEO and I'm sure that they would get back to you promptly.   I agree, its hard to beat the 9mm JHP with a .380.
A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

Offline 75scout

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 03:43:32 PM »
Well I feel that a combination of follow-up shot speed and accuracy along with lower recoil are more important than a more powerful round (to a degree).  Plus I plan to shoot all my guns more than just 1 mag a month or so and I am not entirely sure the R9s can stand up to years of shooting up to a 1000 rounds a year.  So I have varying reasons for choosing the R380, even though I would rather have a 9mm.

My biggest challenge is whether or not the Rohrbaugh is authorized for off-duty use.  I still have 29 weeks left in the police academy and it might be a while before we get a complete list of authorized weapons.  If it isn't I will have to see if the rangemaster likes me anough to check out the Rohrbaugh and put it on the list.