Author Topic: CCW permission for employees  (Read 8000 times)

tacticalbob

Re: CCW permission for employees
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 10:46:37 PM »
Good judgement is a relative thing -- the level that I expect from a $7'hr employee is different than that I would expect from my accountant.  

either one is a human being and could "snap" without notice,really doesnt matter what theyre salary is,lol

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2005, 12:30:29 AM »
A person who is trusted driving a car could easily kill 10 people with one mistake.  It isn't easy to kill that many people with a gun with one mistake.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline WoodstockDoug

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2005, 02:54:36 PM »
I'm glad I'm not in the position of having to decide a policy like that.  Seems like either way you decide, there could be horrible consequences, and you'll second guess your decision.  

Remember that you don't decide to give the guy a carry permit, the state does.  If they believe he is worthy of being trusted with carrying a firearm, then perhaps that should be good enough.  But the idea of requiring additional training, beyond what the state requires, makes sense in both a legal and moral way -- you are asking the employee to take the training that is useful for that particular tool (just as he would receive training to use a forklift before he could drive one) and if you were ever sued, you could point out that a) it was the state's decision to issue the permit, b) and you went beyond their requirements in your workplace policy.  You might even hire a firearms instructor to create a class that deals *specifically* with the situations that might be encountered in your workplace, and trains on the exact responses you want in those situations.

Good luck.
Woodstock Doug

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 12:35:30 AM »
That sounds up there w. my "terrorist attack policy" I have to develop -- because my little bitty NRA member ice cream stores/plant is going to be a target -- although you probably have a point -- same as the inspectors did once they started talking about checking milk tankers for being poisoned, etc.  (As for the terrorist policy we basically went w. "run like hell if possible, fight like hell if not.")
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2005, 01:20:10 PM »
"run like hell if possible, fight like hell if not.")
;D ;D ;D

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2005, 05:43:35 PM »
You are correct, WSD, that the state confers the CCW
permit but it is also true that the employer in Texas can
prohibit a concealed weapon on his place of business.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2005, 01:03:12 PM »
That is true, but does he also accept libility for the safety of folks in his store & etc? Because he denied them the ability to defend themselves. That thought has changed some of the (store) owners demand to limit firearms carried with permit.

Alot of business owners now post a sign saying, that the unlicensed  carrying of a firearms is a felony.

Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2005, 03:10:09 PM »
I was only stating what the law says about the employer's
right to prohibit concealed weapons; what they do beyond that is strictly up to them. Not that we don't have a firm
grasp of the obvious but it is a felony to possess an illegal
firearm with or without a sign.  

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2005, 06:24:12 PM »
Tracker, I know, I was not at all flaming you.
Tom

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2005, 06:46:58 PM »
None taken, Tom; just discussion about a subject that
is close to some.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2005, 10:32:35 AM »
Tracker, Minnesota is going thru that problem now with their CCW. Business owners are busy posting no guns in here signs.
Tom

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2005, 04:13:58 PM »
I don't understand why a business would post "no guns" sign for customers -- there's no way to hold the owner responsible legally for what his customers do -- unfortunately, there is a growing tendency to hold employer's responsible for an employee's actions, even if the employee's actions are illegal/unforeseeable -- we covered one case this semester where a Wal-Mart was held responsible for an attack in their parking lot because they built their store in a bad neighborhood -- obviously a case from one of the "crazy" jurisdictions. -- I think Cook county
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 04:14:52 PM by Aglifter »
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.