Author Topic: Pocket Knife Traded for a New R9  (Read 13590 times)

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
Pocket Knife Traded for a New R9
« on: November 23, 2005, 03:45:05 PM »
I recently received a new "Deer Park" R9 from Tom (theirishguard).  I had also been thinking about adding a "Farmingdale"  R9 to complete the set.  A friend had two NIB Farmingdale R9s with consecutive SS#s.  He decided he only needed one.  So he being a custom knife dealer we made a trade.

The knife I traded was a unused Tony Bose knife, pictured below.  Tony is considered the top slip joint knife maker in the world and his wait list is at least five years.  I got it without the wait from him at the annual Blade Show.  The handles are original Remington Bone from the 1930's.  

I like to use my knives and since I never used this one decided to make the trade.  My friend got a good deal - the knife could sell for up to $1400 for someone who really wants it without the five year wait.

Below is my new "Farmingdale" R9 in my RJ holster - thanks Bill - along with the "Deer Park" R9.  (Cell phone picture so not the best.)  Well now with two R9s I'm set if one has to go in for repair.

Surrounding the guns you will see some ammo from long ago - if they could only talk what stories they could tell.
   Dave

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Pocket Knife Traded for a New R9
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 03:55:10 PM »
Dave:

Beautiful.  Congratulations!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 04:39:26 PM »
Wow!  The pictures are looking mighty fine.

Even the wood is terrific.

It's good to see my old friend, the holster.  It's a classic shape.

I hope the rear pocket works well, Dave.

Thanks for the pictures.

Bill

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 04:45:15 PM »
I recently received a new "Deer Park" R9 from Tom (theirishguard).  I had also been thinking about adding a "Farmingdale"  R9 to complete the set.  A friend had two NIB Farmingdale R9s with consecutive SS#s.  He decided he only needed one.  So he being a custom knife dealer we made a trade.

The knife I traded was a unused Tony Bose knife, pictured below.  Tony is considered the top slip joint knife maker in the world and his wait list is at least five years.  I got it without the wait from him at the annual Blade Show.  The handles are original Remington Bone from the 1930's.  

I like to use my knives and since I never used this one decided to make the trade.  My friend got a good deal - the knife could sell for up to $1400 for someone who really wants it without the five year wait.

Below is my new "Farmingdale" R9 in my RJ holster - thanks Bill - along with the "Deer Park" R9.  (Cell phone picture so not the best.)  Well now with two R9s I'm set if one has to go in for repair.

Surrounding the guns you will see some ammo from long ago - if they could only talk what stories they could tell.
   Dave

Yes, Dave, your friend is also my friend, and he did indeed get a good deal, as did you. Seems he got those two R9s from me;^) I bought them as an investment, got crazy for a new guitar (like I didn't see that coming;^), so I let em go. So Dave has one and our friend has one, and knowing both of you, you'll get the two back together occasionally for a reunion.

Speaking of reunions (am I the master of the seque, or what?;^), I'm leaving for SW Pennsylvania tomorrow (Thanksgiving) for my 35th High School Reunion. Darn, I'm getting old. But I look pretty good, thanks to a patient trainer and a loyal subject (Me). I'd never guess I'd ever lose that weight, but boy am I glad I've done it. I'm getting in touch with my inner hunk (Don't go there...), and he is ready to surface, just 25 more lbs. to go. Caramba!

This is my favorite holiday, and I wish you all a thankful Thanksgiving.
I'll report back when I return, and might even have film at 11...

Steve Freund
Tomway, LLC
Motto: "Tomway: We won't mind if you stare at our chest..."
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 04:57:24 PM »
Yes Steve -I knew you had a part in the Farmingdales.  The reason you always look so great Steve is your wonderful sense of humor.  You don't let life get you down.

Western PA welcomes you back.  Sometime in the future when you return let the three of us get together.  My mom is in the hospital so I know how I'll be spending the next several days.
Take care
Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 11:21:28 PM »
Which part of W PA Steve?  If you were near Bedford County I'd say stop by - and talk guns :)

Fascinating saga of the ''Farmingdales'' - great result for all it'd seem.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
Haven't svelt this good in ages...
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 12:00:08 AM »
Which part of W PA Steve?  If you were near Bedford County I'd say stop by - and talk guns :)

Fascinating saga of the ''Farmingdales'' - great result for all it'd seem.

I'll be in Fayette County, home of George C. Marshall, writer of the Marshall Plan (what else?;^). Oh, and Alice Cooper used to vacation every summer in Uniontown, where I'll be. I'd look you up in  Bedford County, cept for all my old girlfriends will be occupying all my time with this newly svelte body of mine;^) Otherwise, I'm right there with you, pal.

Happy Turksgiving;^)

Steve
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 12:11:17 AM »
Hehe - ''Mr Svelt'' LOL!  Well - only 2 counties away but hey - another time maybe.

You too have a great turksgiving dude :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 01:32:01 AM »
Any one have a website for Tony Bose?  Looks like he makes some pretty nice knives...

Thanks
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 01:52:12 AM »
Tony Bose and his son Reese Bose (he is about as good as his dad - have two of his knives) do not have a web site or need to advertise.  Tony will probably retire before filling all of his orders.  Reese takes orders but his wait is 3 plus years.  You can sometimes buy the from knife dealers but they will be marked up alot.   Example is I carry a 3 in. Reese Bose knife that I paid $425 for several years ago.  Just saw  a version of the same knife, without some of the extras mine has, sell for $1050.  The forum below is not very active but does have some nice pictures of Tone and Reese Bose Knives.
Dave

http://www.knifetalkforums.com/ubbthreads.php?Cat=0

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 11:36:52 AM »
Dave:

That link you just posted is probably going to cost me some serious money.   :P  Until now, I've been able to resist the temptation to start collecting custom-made knives.  I think I'm beginning to succumb to temptation.  :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 11:50:27 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2005, 12:07:42 PM »
Richard
I have two Tony Bose Knives and two Reese Bose knives.  If they were unused I could sell them for almost double their purchase value but I would not.  In fact three of them could look unused since I take care of them.  The reason I traded the one for the R9 is that I never saw myself using it.  I think it is a shame too not use a great knife.  My saying is, "a knife not used is a knife abused".

I'm a person who like the old style of slipjoint knives like our dads and granddads used.  That is what the Bose boys are famous for.  Except their quality is top of the line.  

Most people can't understand paying that much for a knife when a Case cost $40 and cuts also.  The answer is simple.

Why does someone:
* get an expensive watch when a timex tells time just as well?

* an expensive pen when they can get a bic?

* an expensive car when they can get a chevy?

* an expensive R9 when they can get a kel-tec?

All of the above less expensive items will get you to your intended distination, but the jouney will not be as enjoyable.  In a way they kind of relieve the stress of every day.  Many times if I put my hand in my pocket and hold my Bose pocket knife it somehow focuses me.

Guess you can tell my occupation is in the field of psychology.

Take care Richard,
Dave

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 07:12:33 PM »
All of the above less expensive items will get you to your intended distination, but the jouney will not be as enjoyable.  In a way they kind of relieve the stress of every day.  Many times if I put my hand in my pocket and hold my Bose pocket knife it somehow focuses me.

Dave:

You and I think a lot alike.  I used to wear a solid gold Rolex Submariner for that very reason.  I lost that watch back in 1993 to what might be described as "a superior armed force" [i.e., a gang of five armed robbers on an isolated road in the bush] during the confusion surrounding a military coup in West Africa.  I still miss that Rolex.  And I would dearly love to meet up one-on-one with the SOB who was leading the gang and who, if he hasn't been killed by the military or the police or some rival, may still be strutting around the bush wearing my watch.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2005, 08:06:05 PM »
Richard

The good thing is that you are still here to tell the tale.  How many are killed in such circumstances.  Maybe he was done in for the watch - wouldn't that be true justice.  Would like to hear the story of why you were there sometime.

My wrist is too slender to look good with a big watch so I never got in to nice watches.  

Hope you got a substitiute.  

Since I started this thread feel free to let it drift into other directions if desired.

Dave

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2005, 08:15:13 PM »
Hope you got a substitiute.  

Dave:

I did.  It's a self-winding, 17-jewel, Belair auto-quartz given to me with an elegant engraving on the back by the wonderful lady to whom I have the great good fortune now to be married.  Because of the source and the engraving, I treasure it more highly than any Rolex.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"