Author Topic: Leather question for holster makers  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Leather question for holster makers
« on: January 02, 2006, 12:02:13 AM »
It's looking pretty certain that I'll be heading to Zambia in february.  Is there anything particular about how hides are tanned?  All I know is there is some kind of vegetable process and some mineral salt one.  I'm thinking that it is easier to have them tanned there at some village, than to have to try to keep the hide cold until I get back to the US.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: Leather question for holster makers
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 10:04:00 AM »
RJ=

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 09:44:52 PM »
Brad:

Based on my experience over there, if you have a hide tanned locally it will probably be done by wet or dry salting -- reasonably effective, but not the best processes for sure.  In the larger cities, you might find a tanner who would employ the chrome or vegetable crust processes.  If your travel schedule requires you to leave the country before your hides are tanned and ready for transport, it goes without saying that you will need a local representative whom you trust to collect them from the tanner and insure their proper shipment.  

Good luck, and good hunting on your trip!  I envy you.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 01:48:50 PM »
It's been stated by several holster makers on another forum that only vegetable tanned leather should be used for holsters. Chrome tanned hides will be corrosive to gun metal over time.