Author Topic: The  "Center Mass" Myth and ending a gunfight  (Read 2075 times)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
The  "Center Mass" Myth and ending a gunfight
« on: March 13, 2010, 10:46:30 AM »
Here is a link to an article about gunfights that was interesting.

http://forums.gunsamerica.com/yaf_postst14_The-Center-Mass-Myth-and-Ending-a-Gunfight.aspx?c=0301

John
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 10:48:21 AM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: The  "Center Mass" Myth and ending a
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 11:35:16 AM »
John.  Enjoyed the article, indeed.  Jim Higginbutham made some really good, stay with you, thoughts.  I really liked:  Take control - Buy good bullets and put them where they count the most.  And remember "anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting a whole lot."

I don't want to shoot anyone, but if confronted, take control!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 08:01:28 PM »
That's an excellent article, with some thoughtful responses.

I personally have always believed that a quick double tap to center mass followed by a carefully aimed head shot would solve most self-defense situations when deadly force was required. The problem is, however, that with some of the meth and crack heads running around these days something more like an RPG might be required to stop them cold in their tracks. Moreover, they often run in packs.

In any event, it's a lot like the old real estate location  mantra -- placement, placement, placement.

Stay safe!    

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 08:36:25 PM »
Let's all hope, in this case, that we don't have to put to use what we've learned.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline kanuist

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 09:59:03 PM »
John,  Thanks for posting the link.  I found it very informative.

Interesting that the author didn't do a 360 degree check after shooting as I was taught.
Join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Offline scaatylobo

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 07:58:14 PM »
Well the writer almost had me - until he did the "45" is a better one stop shot with a hit in the same place as a 9MM.That is a bunch of hooey and a well placed shot SHOULD stop an attacker.That was 'should' but no matter the caliber there is not written rule that a perp will follow.As in any dangerous game ,the human factor has to take a place.You cannot reason with a truly wild animal so therefore you shoot till the threat is over.With a human that is a socialpath you are most likely dealing with the same mental attitude as a wild animal - aim true and make each shot count.AND shoot till the threat is over.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 08:24:33 PM »
Scaatylobo:

Welcome to the Forum!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 12:34:33 AM »
Very interesting article, indeed.  I personally don't have any firsthand experience in this area, but I do have a cousin who was a Detroit police officer in the early 1970's.  
He told me the following, so you guys are getting this story 2nd hand.
Larry had to shoot a drugged-up guy determined to become a suicide-by-cop.  He and his partner were dispatched to a burned-out building in one of the precincts that had been ruined in the '67 riots.  The guy who they were called to subdue was a big naked white guy with a butcher knife.  He came down the stairs saying, "Kill me, I gonna make you kill me!!  My cousin, a recently-returned Viet Nam combat veteran, drew his .357 revolver and backed away, telling the perp to drop the knife in his loudest Command voice.  Finally he literally had his back to the wall when he fired 6 rounds into center of mass.  And the guy kept coming!!  Now Larry's hand to hand with a big crazy guy, trying to keep from getting sliced up and yelling for his partner to shoot this crazy guy again.  Larry's partner had a department issue .38 Spl revolver.  He put the muzzle of the .38 in the guy's ear and pulled the trigger.  The guy finally dropped at Larry's feet.  After that incident, Larry became a trainer at the Detroit Police Academy.  

I agree with Richard.  A couple of center-of-mass hits to cause a big fluid leak and maybe destroy the pump, followed with the best head shot you can make to shut down the brain.
And they taught me in CCW class that it's okay to fire enough rounds to "stop the threat", followed with a quick '360' review for other threats.

Steve

Offline scaatylobo

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 04:25:58 PM »
Scaatylobo:

Welcome to the Forum!
Thank you and I like your 'tag' from E.A.Poe too - one of my favorites !!!.