Author Topic: Remington Ammunition  (Read 3271 times)

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
Remington Ammunition
« on: November 25, 2011, 07:08:28 PM »
Besides the price, can anyone tell me the difference between the Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense and the Remington Golden Sabre Ammo?  They are both bonded brass jacketed hollow points with nickle cases...looks identical to me...but Golden Sabre is available for ~$10 less per 25 round boxes....
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Remington Ammunition
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 08:48:03 AM »
AT:

There is word on the street that there is no difference between Remington GS and UHD ammunition and that the name change was purely a marketing decision:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-ammunition-ballistics/115630-remington-ultimate-home-defense.html 

If that is so, it wouldn't be the first time the marketing wing of a corporation tried to fix something that wasn't broken.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 10:01:09 AM »
        I'll bet that there is at least one thing they have in common, if you use either one of them, then eventually you will encounter hard primers. It just seems to be the nature of the beast. I've used many Remington calibers, both rifle and pistol. Some through curiosity, most through necessity and the same problem always shows up. With the exception of that batch of Hornedys that showed up a couple years ago, I've never had a problem with the primers like I have with Remington. I know that other people will will have different ideas, but this has been my experience.      Gene
birdman

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 08:08:13 PM »
Thanks Richard...they are still selling each.  I belive I'll order me some more GS before they discontinue it. Birdman, I had some issues with it in the later days of my SOLO ownership, but had other issues with the SOLO too (thus the reason I no longer own it)  I've only tried 7rds so far in the R9, I'll have to run a box or two through it and see how it does.
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 09:26:02 PM »
Ordered 10 boxes from Cheaper Than Dirt.  To give an idea, it was $13.33 for GS, and $19.65 for HD.  I'll run some mroe through the R9 and let y'all know how it does, but the 7 I fired yesterday were on a hot, dirty gun, and didn't have any issues....but the slide didn't lock back on the empty magazine...   ;D
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 10:46:42 PM »
Ammo arrived today...I hope to hit the range tomorrow and will try a couple boxes through the R9. 
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 04:30:27 PM »
Toad,

Which grain did you buy in the GS?

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 06:55:13 PM »
Tracker, I bought 124gr.  Hope to shoot a couple boxes tomorrow... 
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 07:36:34 PM »
Tracker, I bought 124gr.  Hope to shoot a couple boxes tomorrow...

AT:

After an extended diet of 147gr. GS, my R9 seems to enjoy the 124gr. load. Pleae let us know how yours digests that fodder.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 06:58:30 PM »
I'm happy to report that the Pup was very pleased with the Remington124gr BJHP Golden Sabre load.  Fired 75 rounds in fairly rapid succession and had zero malfunctions.   :)
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 07:20:35 PM »
I'm happy to report that the Pup was very pleased with the Remington124gr BJHP Golden Sabre load.  Fired 75 rounds in fairly rapid succession and had zero malfunctions.   :)

AT:

As one who has long sung the praises of Remington GS ammo, I am pleased to hear that report.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 07:23:18 PM »
Richard, it is now my carry ammo.  I had read a lot of good things about the brass jacket HP bullet and I like the nickle cases.  I have had no issues with the ammo at all.  The Kahr CM-9 chewed threw it as well, not a single hiccup...
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop