Author Topic: Airline travel with a firearm  (Read 2949 times)

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
Airline travel with a firearm
« on: November 25, 2011, 07:22:26 PM »
Recently made a trip to Langley and since I was flying commercial I decided to take the Pup since VA and FL have reciprocity...anyways, it was very easy and had no issues at all going up or coming back...nobody looked at the gun or ammo and everyone was very kind.  Unloaded firearm in a locked case, ammo in a factory type container that keeps the rounds from touching, tell the folks at the counter you have a firearm to declare...better than saying "I have a gun."  Then you sign a disclosure and drop the orange tag in your luggage and off it goes...kind of basic, the TSA has more detailed info on their web site…but it really was that easy.
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline ricardo

• Sharpshooter
Re: Airline travel with a firearm
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 07:56:50 PM »
I used to travel a lot and declared a firearm usually when from FL to TX. Never a problem for me either. Curious though, what airline did you use as some are more smooth about it than others. Ric
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!!

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 09:11:18 PM »
This was Delta both ways.  Much easier than I thought it would be.
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 09:12:06 PM »
And welcome to the forum Ricardo....it's a great place....
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline Blueeyedme

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 09:48:48 AM »
Yes it's pretty easy squeezy.  To take an extra precautionary step, I use a firearm cable lock to lock the pistol case to the internal frame of my bag.  Makes it much more difficult for my firearm to go missing from my bag.  I also lock the larger bag with a TSA approved lock...it might be overkill but there are a lot of sticky fingers on your bag once it disappears into the black hole.  I recently traveled to Califorina and Arizona with 2 handguns and a lot of ammo.  Neither the Delta agents or TSA batted an eye.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 09:55:27 AM »
Wish I could have taken a gun or two on vacation, my right pocket was suffering from separation anxiety. ;D ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 06:19:12 PM »
Excellent advice from Blueeydme...a cable lock to the inside of the bag....I did use a TSA lock on the bag but the cable lock is a big plus...Thanks for the idea! 

American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 09:03:17 PM »
I find in Tampa, no problem.  In other areas of the country, you get a lot of cross-ways looks, but ultimately not a big deal.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 08:09:29 PM »
I flew out of Panama City, FL...I think the folks in the Great State of Florida are used to it.   :)
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline Blueeyedme

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 11:46:04 PM »
I flew out of Tampa, in and out of LA, San Diego and Pheonix without any issues.  I was worried that it would be more hassle coming back from Califorina but there were no problems at all.

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 08:26:35 PM »
Yes, FL is fairly easy to do the airline thing.  Especially the panhandle.  However, I was told by an American agent in Dallas to NEVER (unless you're stupid) use the TSA locks.  You may use your own lock as long as you provide the key if asked.  It's easier in airports that don't send the bag behind the counter to scan.     Ever since then, even in Iowa, I've used my own locks and not TSA locks. YMMV.

Offline Blueeyedme

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 08:54:54 AM »
Your own locks go on the hard shell gun case - which for me goes into a larger regular suitcase.  On the larger suitcase you can not use your own lock.  Either TSA or nothing.  Now if your larger suitcase is a hard shell case, that can be considered your gun case - your handguns could be inside a sock within a larger hard shell suitcase.  In that instance, you would be compelled to use your own lock on the hard shell suitcase as it becomes the case for the firearm.  If you are talking about a rifle case - same rule applys, you would use your own locks on the hardshell guncase.

Offline ricardo

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 03:06:27 PM »
It was understanding that the lock on your suitcase whether hard or soft sided MUST be accessible by TSA so they can inspect it. Hence, don't use your own lock.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!!

Offline Blueeyedme

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 03:41:25 PM »
TSA does not have access to your hard shelled gun case.  Only you retain the key/combo.  You can choose to make a full-sized hard shell suitcase your gun case simply by putting your firearm into a soft case within.  TSA will inspect and clear your bag at check-in after which you would lock the oversized 'gun case' with your own lock.  For example, you could have a large rugged Pelican type case and lock it with your own paddle locks every time you fly - just bring your pup for the ride.

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 06:21:39 PM »
Yup..that is all correct.  I used padlocks on my hard case that only I had the keys to.  I locked the suitcase with a TSA lock.  I like the Pelican type case idea too....
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop