Author Topic: Feedback on Seecamp mag extension  (Read 11488 times)

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
Feedback on Seecamp mag extension
« on: March 16, 2012, 01:50:33 PM »
Received the 32 Seecamp mag extension from SigPower. I had to file it to make it work. I'll probably not use it. >:(
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Feedback on Seecamp mag extension
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 02:08:32 PM »
Received the 32 Seecamp mag extension from SigPower. I had to file it to make it work. I'll probably not use it. >:(

That's not good.  Mine is awaiting in the NC mail, and will be a few days yet before we're back.  If mine doesn't work, I'm returning it. 
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 02:54:39 PM »

That's not good.  Mine is awaiting in the NC mail, and will be a few days yet before we're back.  If mine doesn't work, I'm returning it.
I should have returned it before I filed on it . I called the maker and he offered to refund my money before I filed on it. It wouldn't be right to expect a refund now. He said he is thinking about not making them anymore as people are having problems with them.  He talked me through several things to look for as there are several places on the frame and grip that can cause the mag latch not to lock on the mag .........some lessons cost $$$.................... :-\............it locks now but not as solid as I like...... :(
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 03:34:06 PM »
I ordered 2 last year for a Seecamp .380 I had and the extensions fit without any trouble.

This may be an opportunity for Yankee2500 to offer a new product?

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
  My .380 extension came today. Very prompt delivery and perfectly packed. I put it on in about a minute with no issues at all. I wish I had sprung for a second one.

Robar233

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 05:25:03 PM »
Now I wish I would have had mine delivered here in Ga.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Trailblazer

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 08:37:21 PM »
I had him instal mine when I ordered it.  It looks like it came with the gun.
Trailblazer Investigations Inc

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 09:22:28 PM »

I should have returned it before I filed on it . I called the maker and he offered to refund my money before I filed on it. It wouldn't be right to expect a refund now. He said he is thinking about not making them anymore as people are having problems with them.  He talked me through several things to look for as there are several places on the frame and grip that can cause the mag latch not to lock on the mag .........some lessons cost $$$.................... :-\............it locks now but not as solid as I like...... :(
I have been carrying my 32 since 1985 when they first came out without and extension...after buying one for occasional use on my R9(Yankee's is great)..I just though I would try one....guess I just got a bad one...most members like the ones they have...he must have some issues because he told me he was thinking about stopping production because of fitting issues.............. :-\
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:26:23 PM by Jack_F »
NRA Life Member

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 10:20:34 PM »
I bought two and both needed a little work with a dremel...took a few minutes and they work great.  The edge is a little thick, but part of the problem is a slight protrusion in the mag well on some of the pistols.  There is a thread on the Seecamp forum that deals with this.  Don't give up on them, they work fine and look great but just need a little adjustment.  Jeff is a great guy and would be happy to help if you call him back but if you have a dremel, just fix it and use it.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 10:14:37 AM »
I had an issue with the one I purchased for my 380, it doesn't allow the mag latch to go to it's normal position. I emailed Jeff and he said it would break in after a while. ::) I have not bothered to do anything with it but I do need to push the mag catch forward after inserting the mag.  Maybe one day I'll do a little adjustment on it. ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 09:31:50 PM »
I have two extensions made years ago by another guy that was on the Seecamp forum and I believe on this forum.The first one I had a heck of a time getting it to work and stay on the magazine. I hated it until I got it to work. The second one seemed a lot better, both for the .380 model.
I showed my magazine extension to Larry Seecamp, he was never crazy about the idea of an extension.
He also stated that the material, being aluminum just may not be the best choice for a part on the pistol.
I really never thought the magazine extension helped me control the pistol.
And really do not trust the material, maybe one made of stainless steel?

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 09:33:42 AM »
Being that pistol frames from 380 to 45acp are made from the same Aluminum I don't understand Larry's comment about the material, it will last a lifetime.
  This is also the same grade aluminum that is used on parts for the space shuttle, F-16s and all commercial aircraft.
 Also a stainless extension would drive the cost beyond what most would be willing to pay.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:37:51 AM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 07:22:36 PM »
Being that pistol frames from 380 to 45acp are made from the same Aluminum I don't understand Larry's comment about the material, it will last a lifetime.
  This is also the same grade aluminum that is used on parts for the space shuttle, F-16s and all commercial aircraft.
 Also a stainless extension would drive the cost beyond what most would be willing to pay.

The aluminum  mag extension I recieved is very soft. Not even close to gun frame hardness. Since I'm not going to use it I would be glad to send it to you so you can see for yourself. :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 07:25:21 PM by Jack_F »
NRA Life Member

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 01:24:29 AM »
Jack I would be interested in looking at it.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 07:40:32 AM »
Jack I would be interested in looking at it.

Mailed today...Jack
NRA Life Member