Author Topic: Accidental discharge...a good article  (Read 3209 times)

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Amacro

Re: Accidental discharge...a good article
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 10:58:52 AM »
Excellent article! Thank's for sharing I've also always thought that keeping the trigger finger alongside the outside of the trigger was "OK" I will be changing my hand position style
Thanks again
Al

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 09:56:21 AM »
Jack:

Thank you for posting that article. It serves to remind us all of one of the essential aspects of gun safety.

There is a story about the legendary Colonel Jeff Cooper having once had an accidental (negligent) discharge of a handgun he thought was empty. Intending to "dry fire" it using a water meter outside a window of his home as a target, as the story was told, he took out both the window and the meter. With a look of surprise on his face, he was said to have exclaimed something to the effect that, "Such things aren't supposed to happen to me!" Of course, since he had observed other aspects of "Cooper's Rules" by knowing his target and what was behind it, the primary damage was only embarrassment.

None of us are perfect, and all of us should constantly bear in mind the rules of gun safety when carrying and handling our firearms.

Thanks again for posting that article.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 08:32:16 PM »
Jack,
 Thanks for the excellent article. I know a police officer that was shot by another police officer as a result of this same thing. The support hand was being used to grab a suspect during a raid, while the gun was in the strong hand. The trigger was squeezed and the fellow officer near by has a permanent disability because of it.
 I have to say I have always been a trigger down the frame guy. I will see if an old dog can modify an old trick.

Robar233

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 10:03:43 PM »
Jack:

Thank you for posting that article. It serves to remind us all of one of the essential aspects of gun safety.

There is a story about the legendary Colonel Jeff Cooper having once had an accidental (negligent) discharge of a handgun he thought was empty. Intending to "dry fire" it using a water meter outside a window of his home as a target, as the story was told, he took out both the window and the meter. With a look of surprise on his face, he was said to have exclaimed something to the effect that, "Such things aren't supposed to happen to me!" Of course, since he had observed other aspects of "Cooper's Rules" by knowing his target and what was behind it, the primary damage was only embarrassment.

None of us are perfect, and all of us should constantly bear in mind the rules of gun safety when carrying and handling our firearms.

Thanks again for posting that article.

This incident happen 25 miles from my home.......If you are aware of why events happen you can possibly avoid negative results.... ;)....I admire the instructor's follow up to determine why the ND occurred.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:10:39 PM by Jack_F »
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety