Author Topic: My wife is searching for a new carry gun  (Read 22032 times)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: My wife is searching for a new carry gun
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2010, 12:22:34 AM »
Confuciuss say man who fight with wife all day, have no piece at night. ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2010, 12:59:07 AM »
Other than to agree , I better leave that one alone.    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2010, 08:16:09 AM »
 Well, Wife received the Kahr 9mm Black Rose and found it was too hard for her to operate effectively. Recoil spring was too much for her, so I sent it back as the Gentlemen that I bought it from had made me the offer that if she did not like the gun he would take it back. We went to the gunstores and looked again. She Now has two favorite Guns, The Sig 238 and the Kimber Ultra Raptor.  Then she found out about the Limited Production Sig 238 Titanium (Rainbow finish) Edition.
 (Another "Pretty and Limited Production Gun) That did it, so I found one and should be receiving it Today/tomorrow.  Quite an unusual looking gun but she likes it. She says she may want the Kimber in a month or so.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:19:57 AM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2010, 08:21:05 AM »
That is a good lookin' gun.  The story does continue.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2010, 08:28:38 AM »
  She has found she prefers the 1911 type platform, Single action and external safety. And has no qualms about carrying "cocked and locked".  She is now saying she is really getting into firearms (all my fault she says)  and suggests we get a bigger safe. I guess I will have to start reloading .380's as the cost of them is almost where .45's are here. At least they are now available. Now if I can get her to where she will clean her own gun(s) ......  naaaaa not going to happen  ;D

Chief
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:28:57 AM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2010, 08:33:22 AM »
She has you trained well, there, Chief.  Keep up the good work.    ;D

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2010, 10:11:03 AM »
Chief:

Well done!   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2010, 12:23:51 AM »
Now you will have to get the matching Kershaw rainbow knife for her!! ;)

I know of a gunshop that received a shipment of the 238s and the 3 rainbows were pre sold..
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2010, 07:51:49 AM »
 I spoke to one Local dealer that told me they have had them on order since January, another told me they last at most a day when they go on the shelf. I just checked and the Gun should arrive today. guess I need to buy .380 reloading Dies.
That should be interesting reloading tiny little bullets (Compaired to the .45)...... now where are those reading glasses :)

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2010, 09:21:13 AM »
Chief:

I'm truly impressed by anyone who is willing and able to reload the .380 ACP.

I once decided that I would take up the reloading hobby and was already comparing Dillon Presses and such. However, I had once made the mistake of telling "Herself" the story of how I had accidentally blown up a good portion of the plumbing in my high school chemistry lab by flushing the wrong combination of materials down my sink (no injuries, fortunately, except to my pride). "Herself" immediately made me that proverbial offer I couldn't refuse -- forego reloading and receive no future objections to firearms purchases. I immediately quit looking at those Dillon Press ads -- a sacrifice in its own right.  ;D
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2010, 12:48:01 PM »
That should be interesting reloading tiny little bullets (Compaired to the .45)...... now where are those reading glasses :)

Chief

I was just about to get into reloading (had already bought the .454 dies) when a friend of mine wanted to shoot some of his reloaded .45 LC's in my .454 Ruger Alaskan.  I said sure.  He fired five rds and the sixth went PFFFF.  Now we all know what that means.  

I always carry a wooden dowel and a plastic hammer to the range just in case something happens.  The rd was lodged about one inch into the barrel and neither of us could get it out.

Off to the gun shop we went; took the gun smith three hard licks with something as he went into a back room and I couldn't see what he used.

Now this friend had reloaded for years, so I decided with his experience and this still happens, I don't need to be doing this.  My reloading days never began.

Don't begrudge anyone who wants to do it, just not for me.    :)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2010, 05:17:59 AM »
 She has found she prefers the 1911 type platform, Single action and external safety. And has no qualms about carrying "cocked and locked".  She is now saying she is really getting into firearms (all my fault she says)  and suggests we get a bigger safe. I guess I will have to start reloading .380's as the cost of them is almost where .45's are here. At least they are now available. Now if I can get her to where she will clean her own gun(s) ......  naaaaa not going to happen  ;D

Chief

I am confused as how "cocked and locked" applies to this Sig 380 and  the Colt MUstang and Gov 380.

I know the safety mechanism is similar to the "cocked and locked'  lever of  a 1911, however in these particular 380 models the slide does not "lock" when engaged.   When the safety is engaged, the slide can still slide back and forth.

Can anyone explain any benefit to this me?  This has always bothered me  even when I used to carry my fully tricked out Scott Mcdougal and Assciates Colt 380.

And I absolutely love this new Sig, I think they have a winner, but the slide thing bugs me.

Thanks

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2010, 10:30:04 AM »
Brenden,
  The only problem with the Kershaw Rainbow knife is the finish doesn't hold up, I have one with the blue finish and if you carry it, after a short time the finish wears of, I have heard the rainbow does the same. I returned the first blue one to Bass Pro because the finish came off and they replaced it, but the second one doe's the same thing.

Chief,
  Here is the link to Jeffsigs site, he has custom grips, holsters and  accessories for the 238.

http://www.sigpower.com/

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2010, 01:28:16 PM »
Brenden,
  The only problem with the Kershaw Rainbow knife is the finish doesn't hold up, I have one with the blue finish and if you carry it, after a short time the finish wears of, I have heard the rainbow does the same. I returned the first blue one to Bass Pro because the finish came off and they replaced it, but the second one doe's the same thing.

Chief,
  Here is the link to Jeffsigs site, he has custom grips, holsters and  accessories for the 238.

http://www.sigpower.com/

John

John,
I did not realise that about the finish..
I had a silver that I was carrying,but it was lost..
Ended up having a rainbow of the same size and have been carrying it.
How long before the finish started on your's?
Thanks again for the info..

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2010, 06:49:03 PM »
It only took a few weeks before you could see the finish wearing off, when I took it back to Bass Pro they replaced it with no hassle. I didn't carrying the new one for a long time, then carried it a few times and I could see the same thing starting to happen. Maybe they have improved the finishes, this was about six years ago.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson