Author Topic: Kimber Solo 9mm pocket gun  (Read 16620 times)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Kimber Solo 9mm pocket gun
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2011, 08:24:45 PM »
I would also question the internals such as MIM parts, etc. .

Keep in mind all the naysayers that attacked Kimber's MIM parts back when started their 1911 business 12-15 yrs ago?

Kimber has just kept growing since then and is a force to be reckoned with.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2011, 08:27:18 PM »
Kimber has a winner here that will sell a ton.  If not for the new Ruger LC9,  they would probably sell all they could make.

BUT -  it ain't no Pup!  

Everything else is just second best at best!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2011, 08:45:05 PM »
Agreed, and we shall see on this one but the weight is a non-starter for me. I have not missed not owning a Kimber and will probably continue to be a happy non-owner camper.  

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2011, 09:24:03 PM »
Agreed, and we shall see on this one but the weight is a non-starter for me. I have not missed not owning a Kimber and will probably continue to be a happy non-owner camper.  

I think you will have a lot of pup owners in your camp with ya. :D

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 11:24:57 AM »
The Kimber is a very nice gun -- different than the R-9 but quite nice.  I am going to try to get one for review.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2011, 11:42:33 AM »
First range report of the SOLO I've seen:

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/1010034832

Doesn't look good - there appear to be some "teething" problems to sort out.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:51:19 AM by JR956678 »

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 12:47:18 PM »
As of this moment, I did not read the review in the above link.
I don't have to read any review on any of the new wonder nines that recently came out.

I have to say that I handled all the new nine milimeter pistols that just came out. I went to Ruger, Sig, Kimber and Kel-Tec and none feel as good as the R9. You can feel the difference in quality and how the R-nine is superior.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 05:16:21 PM »
I have personally not been a Kimber person-although they have some very nice looking guns.

This Solo looks very interesting,but I just can't see it as a replacement for my Pups..

Nice rounded looks.

I guess that I have gotten used to the best,and will be keeping my Pup as the EDC.. 8)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2011, 10:56:12 AM »
Kimber was pretty clear at the show that you need to use hot premium 9mm ammo for optimum reliability in the Solo.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Josey Wales

Positive Kimber report!
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2011, 07:29:23 AM »
I have 3 kimber ultra models that all run great,  I will not be afraid to be a beta tester on this one....
Got one on order, here is a positive review.
This one may have been straight from the box and not a display model handled by the masses, like the fellow from the Sig forum got.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?118821-Kimber-solo-range-report-and-grips

I will give my report (good or bad) when I get mine.

J.W.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:32:51 AM by griz »
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2011, 03:03:02 PM »
I just returned from a gunshow where I hoped to see a Kimber Solo but none were for sale.  

I did run into an old friend who is retired LEO who along with his wife have also had a gun business for 25 years.  I knew that he was a top 300 Kimber dealer so I asked if he had received a Solo and he responded that it was in his pocket right now but didn't want to pull a  gun out while working his tables.

I asked if he has shot it much and he said he had shot it alot before he would trust it for carry.  He said he loves the gun and this particular pistol has been flawless with everything he has tried in it and he was currently carrying 115 Gold Dots.

What his Kimber Rep told him is that they have found the Solo to be 100% reliable with 147 gr ammo, 99.9% with 124 gr ammo, and reliability with 115 gr ammo varies greatly from gun to gun.  Some would not function reliably with any 115's, some would function with 1 or 2 brands, and some would be like my friend's and shoot everything.  Also he said it is important to use only premium defense type ammo which is loaded "Hot" for complete reliability.

My friend said he has tried all the pocket nine's, and this the one he has decided to keep.  He has had a Rohrbaugh and liked it but he perfers a gun with more visible sights, a slide catch and an American style magazine catch.  He has always carried a Seecamp 32 as a backup but prefers these features on a primary CCW

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2011, 11:23:07 AM »
Crimson Trace announces Partnership with Kimber for Solo Carry Laser Grips.  MSRP for the grips $359.

http://www.ammoland.com/2011/02/11/crimson-trace-kimber-solo-carry-lasergrips/
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:26:53 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2011, 04:21:13 PM »
I held a "demo" Solo today at a gun shop and was very impressed with it. This is from someone who has never owned a Kimber but the Solo has a feel of quality about it that was a pleasant surprise in fit, form, and ergonomics. If the reliablity issues are resolved during the teething period I would definitely consider buying one despite the heavier weight. The trigger pull is very smooth and I would estimate at around 6# or so.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 05:34:10 PM by tracker »

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2011, 07:01:23 PM »
I am with you tracker, the weight is not an issue for its size. Beautiful balance and ergonomics, its the waiting to see whether they have gotten rid of all the wrinkles already or whehther its going to take some time. I do have a Kimber CDP Ultra II that has been accurate, completely reliable and I have never had any kind of problem with it. The Solo is on my list of possibles.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2011, 07:08:28 PM »

Balance is the word I omitted, Phil; thank you.