Author Topic: Happy Anniversary -- to us!  (Read 6347 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Happy Anniversary -- to us!
« on: April 20, 2014, 01:44:09 AM »

This form started 10 years ago today -- May 20, 2004.

I started the forum before I even had an R-9.  I remember first hearing about the R-9 when it was going to be a "smart gun" that could only be fired by a user with an appropriate ring that would permit the gun to fire.  It's a long story that I am not qualified to tell -- but the Rohrbaugh brothers ultimately abandoned this idea, thinking it was not good for the Second Amendment movement.  Instead the R-9 became the world's smallest, lightest 9mm.  Awesome!

Not wanting a fight, I contacted Rohrbaugh Firearms before starting the forum.  I wanted to make sure they didn't object to what I was doing.  I talked extensively with Eric, and it was the start of a great friendship.  Not too long after that I made a trip to upstate NY to visit with Eric and Karl and see the factory.  After that I would see them every year at SHOT, and I always enjoyed seeing the whole Rohrbaugh crew.  The factory has been great about providing me with all the information I need, and often announcing new things on the forum before anywhere else.

In the early days I would troll other firearms forums to drum up new members -- but there just weren't a lot of R-9s on the street yet.  The forum grew slowly, but steadily.  Right from the outset the forum attracted some really high quality people and I made a lot of friends, most of whom I have never met in person.

The forum has been a great resource for the Rohrbaugh community and a great discussion forum in general.  I attribute the success not to me, but to the fantastic group of friends that we have assembled here.  This is truly one of the most civil and intelligent firearms forums on the internet.

I considered thanking some of the key early adopters, but I know that I would miss some.  You all know who you are.  I am forever indebted to many of you, and consider myself a lucky man to run a forum that makes a small but very positive impact on the world.

Happy anniversary to us, and thanks for a decade of sharing your knowledge and experience.

Duane (DDGator)

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Happy Anniversary -- to us!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 08:28:24 AM »
Thank you back Duane...I have hold membership in 4 handgun forums, but visit thee of them only irregularly.  This one feels like home to me...credit to the administrator.
John
ps:  Did you mean April 20?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Svarog

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 09:18:15 AM »
Thanks Duane for the forum.  I very much hope that it will continue to not only exist but grow.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 11:47:45 AM »
Duane,

Thank you for everything you have done for the Rohrbaugh community. Happy Easter and cheers to hopefully at least 10 more years!

Ryan
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline GeorgeSC

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 01:11:23 PM »
I've recently became a member of the forum. I'm looking forward to the new Rohrbaugh operation in Charlotte in the near future. I live in an adjacent community just across the Charlotte,NC border in SC and a short drive to the new operation.  I'm a retired mechanical engineer and now own a 32 Seecamp. From what I read, Rohrbaugh's quality mirrors that of my Seecamp. My primary interest is the 380 Rohrbaugh.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 04:59:36 PM »
I joined this extraordinary forum on May 25, 2004, at the suggestion of the late R. J. Hedley.  I had taken delivery of R9 No. 132 (Farmingdale) a couple of weeks earlier, on May 14 if I recall correctly.  I soon came to realize that Duane had established the most civil and informative gun forum on the Internet.  And for the past ten years he has administered it in a firm and measured hand. 

Because of the Forum, I have learned much, and I hope I have managed to contribute something constructive now and then myself.  Also, I have met some individuals here whom I have come greatly to admire and now count as true friends.

Congratulations, Duane, and thank you for all you have done!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:14:12 AM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 09:39:03 PM »

ps:  Did you mean April 20?

Oh, nuts.  I did mean May 20, but I posted this a month early...  Well, the sentiment is the same.   ;)
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 09:54:35 PM »
Hey Duane, now we have a whole month to celebrate...believe I'll toast the first day of celebration with a little Abelour 16 single malt tonight, then, who knows....?
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Marcion333

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 11:09:37 PM »
i just joined this forum, although i have had an r9 for about two years.  i have learned a lot from reading the threads, and have just begun sharing information i have learned from others and also learned from my own purchases. 

this forum specific to rohrbaughs is the perfect way for me to learn as much r9 information as possible without having to hunt all over the Internet for hours and hours and still not find the information i want.  this forum is also a great way to discover information that i have never thought of before. 

i like that this forum seems to be full of nice people who stick to the subject and respectfully share opinions, and i REALLY like that mr. rohrbaugh himself posts threads.  (remington had better get it right!)

great job, duane.  long live r9 and this forum!