Author Topic: A "Frog Lube" Epiphany  (Read 23474 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
A "Frog Lube" Epiphany
« on: October 24, 2011, 08:56:15 PM »
My long-standing preference for Ballistol in the cleaning and maintenance of my firearms is well documented on the Forum. In another thread in this section, Tracker provided a link to a product known as "Frog Lube." For reasons stated in that thread, I ordered a supply of the product:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Cleaning;action=display;num=1315826245;start=5#5

The Frog Lube arrived today and I tried it on my highly prized R9. It worked great, and the label of the Frog Lube CLP provides that it is "all natural, non-toxic, environmentally green." It's odor is very mild and reminds me vaguely of wintergreen.

But for the acid test, I presented it to my little wife, who does not like the odor of Ballistol. She looked at the bottle suspiciously, opened the cap with great care, and waved it gently beneath her nose much as if she were testing a bottle of cologne.  

"I like it," she said.

This is an epiphany! Hallelujah!

Thank you, Tracker.

I should also note that the label of this product contains two items of particular interest: (1) the image of a small memorial ribbon with the words "[size=10]SERVICE DISABLED VETERAN OWNED BUSINESS[/size]" and (2) the image of the American flag with the words "[size=10]MADE IN THE U.S.A."[/size]

Carry on!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 10:55:31 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: A "Frog Lube" Epiphany
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 10:31:54 PM »

You are welcome. I have applied the paste to the exterior surface of several guns and it seems to have a positive effect that I haven't seen from any other product. Only time will tell about the lubricity and cleaning benefits extolled by the web site.

Offline cep55

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 09:06:50 PM »
I just used Froglube for the first time, on my FWB target pistol and my Les Baer, and I am very excited to know about it. Seems to be a great maintenance product in between major cleanings, and i love that it's non-toxic, green, and smells a lot better than most other products!

Thanks for the tip, Tracker.

Christina

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 07:22:20 PM »
I will have some Frog Lube on the way on Monday, I came across a guy willing to trade some for 650 pieces of 45acp brass. ;D

I'll let you know how I like it after I get a chance to try it out.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 06:25:55 PM »
I'm thinking...being a Toad and all....that perhaps I should sign up for some "Frog Lube"...okay, okay, that just sounds wrong....but I do want to try it...   ;D
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 03:42:50 PM »
Frog Lube looks interesting, but I want to see more detailed information on the rust test and the lubricating properties.  Earlier Rohrbaugh Forum threads on CLPs, lubes and cleaners referred to performance to ASTM (American Society for Testing & Materials) lubricity and rust resistance standards.  In watching all the Frog Lube videos, and searching thru the web site, I did not find performance to the established test procedures. 
I haven't posted a photo lately but here goes one of the rust testing.  Note that it ran for 11 weeks, not 3 or 4 days. 

Still, Frog Lube looks promising and environmentally friendly, so I will be watching this space for the experience of Forum Members with it.  I'm still a big fan of EEZOX and recently bought a long-term supply.  :P

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 06:14:19 PM »
My Frog Lube is on the way and should be here in a couple of days. I was shooting my D-19, Mossberg 500 and S&W 629 and have not cleaned them yet because I wanted to use the Frog Lube. I'll post my first impressions after I try it.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 11:13:25 PM »
SSlater....like the visual of a pic...speaks volume...
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 11:54:14 PM »
I also favor Eezox. I have used it for many years. When I bought my first Seecamp many years ago that was the product they recommended to use.  www.eezox.com
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:57:43 PM by Jack_F »
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 11:18:33 PM »
Well my Frog Lube arrived today, a full 4oz bottle of the liquid a full 8oz bottle of the paste and a 4oz paste about 3/4 full along with a brush and a new micro cloth. Traded for 650 pieces of 45acp brass. ;D
  If it works a good as it smells it will be some great stuff.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 07:27:47 PM »
Brownell's Monthly Web Bench arrived in my in-box today.  They now carry Frog Lube.  That's a pretty good testimonial.  Looks like I'll be trying Frog Lube sooner rather than later.  Still would like to see more info on performance to ASTM standards.

Steve

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 03:53:43 PM »
On page 73 of the January/February 2012 issue of American Handgunner magazine is an advertisement by Extreme Gun Care (www.extremeguncare.com) stating that EGC is now a nationwide distributor for FrogLube and that "FrogLube came in as the number one gun cleaner in American Handgunner." It would appear that the word is spreading.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 06:14:19 PM »

Frogs, Seals, and Toads are top notch in my book.

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 06:23:58 PM »
 ;D
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline ExtremeGunCare

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 09:26:12 AM »
Hello Richard,

I just noticed your post this morning.  When we got word that American Handgunner named FrogLube Number One Cleaner for 2011, we were elated!  Here at EGC, we specialize in Detail Gun Cleaning.  We utilize FrogLube on every firearm coming through the door.  If anyone has an Ultrasonic Cleaner, that is the way to go!  Harbor Freight has Ultrasonic Cleaners in the upper $70's.  We have cleaned 300+ firearms with using the liquid FrogLube with not needing to change out.  We take the drippings and put them back into the Cleaner.

We had FrogLube come up with the ad that was placed in the American Handgunner (mentioned above).  EGC is a Distributor of FrogLube.  We offer Dealer Pricing.  We currently have a sale going on (Dec 1st-9th) 20% off MSRP,while supplies last.

Good Shooting,

Jason Lumetta
ExtremeGunCare