Author Topic: Bug carry  (Read 4095 times)

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
Bug carry
« on: March 16, 2005, 09:24:35 AM »
When carrying the R9 as a BUG in the pocket, is it better to carry in your right (assuming right handed person) pocket or your left?  Is the BUG taking the place of additional mag carry for your primary weapon?  What would cause you to go for the BUG?  Is it just there in case primary weapon is out of ammo?  In that case wouldn't it make sense to carry in the left pocket so you can go for it with your off hand while still maintaining readiness with your primary?  Or is it there in case you lose your primary in a struggle/fall?  

I guesse I'm asking if you carry a BUG; Why do you carry one, where do you carry it, and your reasoning behind it all.

Sorry for the twenty questions, just trying to get it straight in my head.  I think this line of thought has cemented my need to take a course.  Thanks.

-Ryan

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Bug carry
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 01:55:27 PM »
First, let me say that I don't carry a BUG.  I have plenty of confidence in my carry guns and don't feel the need.  I do (usually) carry one reload.

For me, if the R-9 was carried as  a back-up, I would carry it in the weak-hand pocket for draw if my primary was gone, inaccessible or malfunctioning.

If I were going to choose between a reload and a BUG, I would pick the reload.  In other words, I wouldn't pass on the reload for the primary weapon in favor of a BUG -- but THAT is clearly just my personal opinion.  Others may favor the "New York Reload."  My thinking is that I am more likely to need more ammo for my primary (and by definition, most effective gun) than a BUG.  In reality, of course, I am unlikely to need either.

I also think... and this is a bit controversial and some people may jump on me for this and say it shouldn't matter... but...  I think that in the event something bad happens, the fact that you (assuming you are a non-LEO) carry TWO guns, when most people carry NONE, makes you a bit more likely to have been looking for a fight to a jury.  I know that isn't right, and I know I shouldn't care -- but I do.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Jim

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 04:31:35 PM »
Duane, I also would be concerned regarding the two gun issue, its unfortunate, however a reality in our society of afixing blame..  Better to have a high quality reliable weapon and only carry one with an additional mag..  Jim
Glock 23, previous R9S owner sold due to health problems.  Just enjoy the folks on this forum!!

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 08:26:00 PM »
First, the legal issue:

It doesn't matter what gun you carry, the fact that you were carrying a gun at all can be twisted to show that you were looking for trouble.

You carried too powerful a gun.

You carried too much ammo.

You carried too big a gun.

You carried too small a gun.

You carried too deadly ammo.

You shot too many times (because your less effective ammo didn't do the job).

You get the point.

The key to staying out of court is:

1)  Act reasonably.

2)  Be prepared to explain and demonstrate why you acted reasonably.

3)  Be prepared to deal with the possible false accusations.

Many pplice departments, including the five largest ones in the country, encourage or require backup guns to be carried on duty.  Many departments even issue backup guns.  There are good reasons for this, all of which make carrying the backup gun explainable as the actions of a reasonable person.

Reasons for carrying a backup gun:

1)  In case your primary gun malfunctions.  ANY gun - or anything else made by man - is less than perfect.  Glocks are the most trouble-free handguns on the planet and I had one break during an IDPA classifier.

2)  In case your primary gun is taken away from you.  It might be getting overpowered as happened to a deputy in Atlanta not long ago, or you may be facing too many guns to have any chance to draw your own.  The backup will generally be smaller and better concealed, giving you more opportunity to wait until and opportunity to draw can be created.

3)  In case your dominant hand is injured.  I often carry my primary gun at 3:30 (belt buckle at 12:00) and my BUG in my left front pocket.

4)  In case you run out of ammo for the primary gun.  Generally BUGs are carried in locations where extra ammo for the primary gun would not have been carried anyway.  I often carry 2 spare clips for my primary and still carry a BUG.

5)  So that, given enough advance warning of a bad situation with insufficient opportunity to escape, you can arm a competent but unarmed companion.

Generally my BUG is smaller, less powerful, and less accurate than my primary gun, and if I haven't made it to cover by the time I have to reload, I am in deep doo doo to say the least.  So, I am not counting on a NY reload.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 08:45:19 PM »
Bill:

I was working off-line on a reply to Ryan's original posting, but you have eloquently expressed everything I had in mind.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 09:12:12 PM »
And speaking of BUGs, here are those used by my little wife:

[img][/img]

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 10:43:03 PM »
Thanks Richard.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 11:00:15 PM »
I don't regularly have a BUG  - right now until clothing gets reduced, SIG 226 is all I have.  Sometimes tho R9 takes BUG status and goes in right pocket - or occasionally in ankle rig.  Also might even put R9 in fanny pack from time to time.

Actually - just realized I told a lie!!!  All the time of late my NAA mini revo in .22 mag has been living in top right shirt pocket!  So yeah - I have a BUG even as I type.  Sheesh - that's good eh - forget it's even there LOL  ;D

I do always favor BUG position for strong hand tho.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 12:05:31 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, gives me some food for thought.  I agree that to the regular sheeple, with their heads er . . . in the sand,  :) would look unfavorably on you no matter what you carried or how much.  Just the fact that you carry is damning enough to them.  I think my general take on this is that I carry just one weapon (not counting the knife).  I figure the 13 .40 S&W in the Glock should be plenty, but I think when I carry the R9s I will carry an additional magazine with me.   I think carry in the off pocket would be logical if I carry a bug, note to self:  practice with left hand.  I guess I'll try it out and see what happens.  Thanks again.

RS- I really like those grips on your minis.  Real nice touch.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 12:06:36 PM by Rocnerd »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 12:21:28 PM »
Ryan:

Thank you for the comment on the Stag grips.  I had them made for my wife's two Minis.  The Minis are hers, not mine, which she will be quick to tell anyone who asks.  (I'm lucky if I even get to shoot them now and then at the range.)  

RS
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 12:24:17 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"