Author Topic: Why I bought a Rohrbaugh.  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Why I bought a Rohrbaugh.
« on: October 15, 2004, 11:10:04 PM »
I bought a Rohrbaugh because I wanted the most powerful and well-designed pocket pistol currently available.  I selected it as an up-close-and-personal defensive weapon.  

I have been reading all of these postings by some other Rohrbaugh owners about the hundreds of rounds they have run through their weapons and their various reports on the subjects of FTEs, FTFs, and "OMGs."

I got in line for a Rohrbaugh about three years ago after its prototype had been revealed.  After having settled on a Walther PPK .380 as a pocket gun back in the '70s, I had gone to a Colt Mustang Pocket-Lite .380 in the '80s, and then to a NAA Guardian .380 in the '90s.  Then came the Rohrbaugh. . . .

When my Rohrbuaugh R9s No. 132 arrived, I stripped it down, got to know its inner secrets, put it back together (with some difficulty the first few times), and took it out to the range.  That experience is chronicled somewhere near the early portion of this Forum.  Suffice it to say that there were no malfunctions.  I estimate that I fired some 67 rounds during that first session before my right hand begged for mercy.  Since then, I have fired it only occasionally.  I don't think that I have exceeded 150 rounds total.

My point is this:  The Rohrbaugh is not made for target, competition, or recreational use.  It is the smallest, quality 9mm pistol yet produced.  I have absolute faith that my R9s will perform as intended if, God forbid, it is ever required to do so.  Whenever I want to run a few hundred rounds through a beautiful pistol at the range, I always take my Clark Customized Colt 1991A1.  That beauty doesn't care how many rounds you run through it -- but then you can't carry it in your pocket either.

RS

« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 10:15:23 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
Re: Why I bought a Rohrbaugh.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 12:09:07 PM »
Very well said Richard. My only disagreement with you is that I purchase all of my holsters from Ron Graham and you get yours from RJ Hedley. The only reason for that is that RJ is your friend and Ron is mine. I have admired RJ's holsters many times and have been tempted, particularly when I saw some of the beautiful monogramed holsters RJ made for you, but Ron also does excellant work and is my friend.

Frank
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 12:09:55 PM by shooterjb »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 08:18:32 PM »
Frank:

Both RJ and Ron are true gunleather artists, and they both deserve the accolade, "Gentleman and Scholar."  I was priveleged to be present back on the "old" NAA Message Board some years ago when they "passed the pipe of peace."

RS

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 01:40:12 PM »
I didn't come into this as early as you Richard but - my philosophy is much the same.  Having recently got my #2 R9 ... I have put approx 50 rounds thru ... and it is now proven, cleaned and lubed - and is set up for carry duty.

My first one has been more used than perhaps I would have liked, because of ammo testing etc .. but that now is going into partial retirement.  Plinkers they certainly are not ... rather, they are guns with one sole purpose.

I have admired leather from several sources .... and as I said elsewhere .. feel almost privelaged to be in the company here of some very fine holster makers.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 09:34:07 AM »
Hi Richard,

I was on the old NAA Board too and I couldn't agree with you more about both of them being "Gentlemen and Scholars".

My Guardians have been in the safe though since I got my R9s.

Best Regards,

Frank