Author Topic: Backup pistol for R9S  (Read 3477 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Backup pistol for R9S
« on: November 12, 2005, 07:57:10 AM »
This is a new one, but larger than the R9S.

http://www.kel-tec.com/plr16pr.htm
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 07:58:42 AM by Michigunner »

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
Re: Backup pistol for R9S
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 09:07:48 AM »
I better order a shoulder holster for that one! ::)
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 10:54:14 AM »
Newt, I'd feel better if it had something under the barrel to hold on to.

It does have a strange appeal.  There might even be a waiting list.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 03:02:30 PM »
This piqued my interest yesterday when I heard of it first.

I am ambivalent about it right now - in principle - I want one!!  Practically tho I wonder whether it will perform well enough and not be just a loada problems.

Maybe wait a few months after it ''hits the shelves'' and see what feedback there is.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline WoodstockDoug

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 08:55:37 PM »
Wow, I just love Kel-Tec.

I hear plenty of people complain about theirs, so I guess there are some quality control issues, but I own 2 Kel-Tecs -- a P32 and a Sub-2000.  Both have many, many hundreds of rounds through them, and both have been completely flawless without any fluffing, buffing, modifying, and, in case of the Sub-2000, it even went almost 500 rounds without cleaning and was still flawless.

I hadn't seen this one before, but it sure makes me want one.  I just wish they'd make it in 7.62 x 39 or 9mm instead of .223.  I've never been interested in .223... it just seems so light.  I don't care how many millions of feet per second, or how many foot pounds of energy, or any other "technical" data -- when I pick up one of the rounds, it just looks like an overgrown pellet to me.

Then again, I don't hunt squirrels, rats, rabbits, wombats or marmots, and when I put a hole in a piece of paper, I want it to be big enough that I can see it from 20 feet away without binoculars.  

Someday I will probably add something in .223 to my collection, and I had assumed it would be a Su-16, but I'm liking the looks of this PLR-16.  Heck, if I have the money, I'll probably end up buying both........... someday.  With a new baby on the way, an addition to finish on the house, and plans to go back to school for another degree, I don't think the day for adding new calibers  to my safe is anywhere in the near future.  But I do thank you for the link and a new toy to daydream about.

:)

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 12:00:33 AM »
Newt, I'd feel better if it had something under the barrel to hold on to.

It does have a strange appeal.  There might even be a waiting list.

I do not think in MI that we can do the "forward grip"-they would consider it a short barrelled rifle then.. :( :o

It is still an interesting looking platform to throw some high velocity rounds thru!! ;D 8)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline mefly2

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 12:22:02 AM »
Right ... my info also is that ATF registration / approval is required for fwd vert grip. Otherwise excellent concept.
  mefly2