Author Topic: Loving my new Kimber Solo... 1700 rounds and counting.  (Read 64500 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Loving my new Kimber Solo... 1700 rounds and counting.
« on: March 13, 2014, 09:25:02 PM »
Well I went out and bought a BRAND NEW KIMBER SOLO. As you can tell the mixed reviews didn't scare me off.

So far I'm glad they didn't.

Today we shot about 43, 124 gr gold dots and 40, 124 grain lawman.

Shot 100%, but big deal. That's what it's supposed to do right?

I will obviously run another 220 or so through before it can be trusted for EDC.

What was so impressive? Glad you asked : ) this thing blew out a single hole (at a whopping 7 yds). That's not impressive to you? You haven't seen me shoot then. Lol.

Seriously it was very shootable. I liked it quite a bit.

For those of you familiar with the 938 I will say that the recoil is not as gentle as the 938, but I definitely shot it more accurately. I had both on the range today and did some side by side shooting and the 938 is smoother.

Oddly the Solo has a flip to the muzzle that is a bit stiffer than I expected, but I was shooting it so well I guess I can train around it.

Love the rounded edges. Size is that of 938 or pm9 from what I saw in reviews.

Laid it over the R9 and the barrel is about 1/2-3/4" longer. Slide is a wiggle wider. Other than that it's basically the same. You notice the extra width and length in pocket carry if you're used to the R9. It's hard to beat an R9 for size obviously (ok impossible in the 9 semi), but with the broken R9 and no factory to turn to, its a reasonable exchange (so far) until I get my R9 repaired and reliable. Not a hater. I still want to love my Rohrbaugh... BUT

I've heard there are some bad ones out there, but I've heard pretty good reviews from more experienced shooters. Thus far I'm happy. Early in the game though. 

Also, as a side note, I did pretreat this weapon with the frog lube and the hair dryer. I was pretty impressed. It was the first one I did like this and it was pretty cool stuff. I've used it for cleaning and lubing, but not pretreat. Check it out.

Anyway FYI I paid $675 + tax in case you're in the market for one.

Give me some feedback if you have any.

Wish I could post pics. I don't think I can from an iPad. Anyone know?

Also, also, it rides beautifully in the crossbreed IWB made for my shield. Most comfortable IWB I've carried yet.

Take care fellas. I'll post more as I put more lead down range.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:43:23 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline trident

Re: Loving my new Kimber Solo + Range Report on it
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 11:12:37 PM »

I guess we can agree to disagree on a few points. I own many small firearms, the solo and r9 are a couple.

The solo is a much larger and blocky gun compared to the r9, heck just look at how much material the trigger guard
on the solo has compared to r9 .

Solo is much heavier.

I do agree  the solo shoots well but I can shoot r9 with no sights just about as good.

I really like both guns but they are NOT even close , imo.

The finish on the solo is poor quality...expect odd wear and loss.

Btw...watch the slide stop when you reassemble the solo ,the spring must be in correct position. Its the main reason for the solos bad rep, reassembly error.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 12:18:35 AM by trident »

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 02:00:34 AM »
Hey Josh.  Congrats on your Solo.  You may want to check out my review of it, primarily for what I feel is the biggest drawback of the pistol.  Ammo selection is going to be tough.  Finding something that will reliably expand from a 2.7" barrel is a tall order.  Here's a shortcut to the only reliable expander I've found so far.  Remington Golden Saber Bonded 124 +P.  http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/kimber-solo-carry-stainless-pocket-carry-without-compromises/ 

Rohrbaugh is an easier carry, no doubt about it and has a longer barrel, but it has ammo limits too.  Solo has all the features you expect on a full size pistol, but still fits in your pocket.  I will be upgrading my Solo to the Carry DC model as soon as possible for the night sights, checkered front and back straps, and bitching all black colorway.  Since it just hit the market, the prices on them are a bit zany right now.

Like a doofus, I'll probably end up keeping the R9 and stainless Solo too.   

Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 07:42:23 AM »
I have both the Solo and the R9 also.

The barrel length difference is not as much as the specs show.  I measured them both with a calipers and the difference is less than .1".  The freebore of the R9 probably helps velocity some but the rough ream marks in the barrel, that Rohrbaugh finds acceptable, lowers the velocity about 30 fps to make the barrel length comparison a wash.

For me, the ease of shooting and accuracy between the two is not even close with the Solo being far better.  Admittedly the R9 gives acceptable accuracy for what it was designed, but I much prefer the "big gun" features of real sights, conventional mag release, and reliable striker fired ignition. ie. no light primer strikes

All in all, I will gladly carry the extra weight everyday, and I do.

Besides, as Josh pointed out, Kimber has warranty service..

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 09:11:03 AM »
I also have both, the Kimber in stainless...a beautiful piece compared to my all black and deadly R9.  The R9 pocket carries MUCH better IMO.  They are pretty much equal for IWB/OWB.  The Solo is a joy to shoot and mine has, with care to reassemble correctly (slide stop spring), been pretty reliable (if not entirely so, but I've only put about 100 rounds through it).  The Solo sight picture is better for sure, and the +P capability is nice to have, although I think the jury is still out on how using +P ammo will affect such a small pistol over time.  All that aside, I carry the R9...ease of carry and the fact that other than on the range, the lack of "big gun sights" would not matter to me in a 3 to 10 yard confrontation.  Similarly, proper shot placement in an emergency is less likely to depend on sights than on practice in anticipation and presentation.  I do think that for all of us the important feature for EDC is how the handgun carries and how it fits the hand and eye...what you like and trust is what you should carry.  Absent my trusty R9, I would carry the Solo without a doubt unless a larger carry piece was possible.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline rcm11

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 09:10:18 PM »
Got a chance to shoot my brother's brand new Solo DC with the lasergrips today.  He got to shoot my Rohrbaugh.  There is no denying the fact that the Solo shoots WAAAAAAAY better and doesn't beat up your hand. 

I use a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster, and guess what....?  Right there on the packaging of the holster are the names Kimber Solo, and Rohrbaugh R9.  They both fit the holster perfectly, and to anyone who notices the size difference in these 2 guns while holstered in the pocket, I have got to seriously question them.  I'm 5'10 and weigh 185 and was wearing Adidas nylon sweats today while pocket carrying (I only pocket carry).  For the life of me I can't tell the difference in weight or size.  Where I can tell the difference is in shootability and feel in the hand.  My hand grips the Solo far easier and more naturally for sure, and the Solo I tried now has me wanting a laser grip on my carry gun. 

I'm buying the new black DC (deep cover) version of the Solo and will sell off my other R9s and keep my Stealth.  I was shooting Winchester white box through the Solo without a single problem (147gr).  Also tried 2 magazines worth of Federal Premium HST 124gr., which is what I carry in my Rohrbaugh.  My brother offered up the chance for me to carry his Solo for awhile but didn't want to reciprocate by carrying my Stealth.  He shot just 1 magazine out of it and put it down and watched me shoot his gun, while I didn't want to give his Solo back.  Unbelievable....  I really, really am sold on the Solo DC version, which apparently just came out, according to my brother.
Rohrbaugh R9 Special Forces
Kimber Super Carry Ultra
Wilson Combat Ultralight Carry Compact

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 09:43:18 PM »
Lol. Well i will let you guys that are smarter than I go through the detailed minutia.

It's a keeper as far as I'm concerned, but I'm kind of a doofus too. I will keep it and the R9 unless I couldn't afford to some day : ) I just like quality, compact pistols.

I definately look forward to being able to carry the R9 with confidence, but until then...

Here is what I found on the range today.

100 rounds of 147 gr gold dot.

100 squeezes. 100 bangs.

That makes for 180 consecutive successfully fired rounds. So far, flawless from the box.

Shot a little 1 handed.

Shot weak handed.

Intentionally limp wristed.

Nice pistol.

Deciding to carry it as I have nothing else in the safe that I feel is a better piece as we speak. I have a see camp 32 and 380. Too small for primary carry for me since I can comfortably carry a bigger weapon (ok I admit it. I'm a wimp. I can't stand to carry uncomfortably. So, it's not a bigger gun, but it's bigger than a Seecamp). Maybe summer. (that .380 hurts!)

Have a 938. Don't like the 1911 platform in my pocket or iwb as much as single action striker. Just makes me nervous. I know it's virtually the same thing as having a striker back, but i just have this little voice in the back of my head whispering when i carry it. Lol. I also don't like the idea of lint or debris getting in the hammer back area.

Shield,G27 etc., too big for this wimpy civilian. it would be different IMO if I was an off duty officer probably. I would want the extra fire power I think.

Don't have a kahr, but I understand it's the same size as the solo. Wouldn't mind owning one.

R9 is broken (if you aren't following other post or whatever). Also, couldn't get it to really run reliably (yet).

So all in all I really like this thing. As far as coating, the R9 is definately deficient in that area IMHO. My R9 rubs off of the AL quite easily. I don't know about the slide on either personally.

MRC: I should have said the overall length is 1/2"-3/4" longer than the R9. I incorrectly said the barrel was longer. It is the same as the Kahr and 938 (and probably others). I can't imagine why they didn't make it the same overall length as the R9. I think they could have. Wish they would have personally. Love the accuracy, but as Seecamp states it well, this is a 7 yd or shorter affair and almost no one uses sights in an actual battle. Less than 6 rounds fired in poor lighting, so I could take a smaller size to purchase better carry comfort, BUT that said they didn't : )

Ljutic: I will check out your review.

Trident: idk, not even close?? It's the closest thing out there perhaps. Dehorned and smooth to me. Not blocky. High bore axis. You can shoot the R9 as well with no sights? If you say so sir. Agreeing to disagree is cool with me. Wasn't really wanting to be too comparing, but it's gonna happen I guess : ) I will be happy to get my R9 fixed. I will happily pocket it over the Kimber if it as dependable or more so. It is smaller and thinner and better looking and I can deal with a few compromises to achieve that, BUT there are compromises.

And rcm11 is correct. It doesnt beat up your hand.

Great 1st impressions : ) I should have gotten the laser grips !

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 11:50:20 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 10:13:42 PM »
Well I cleaned the Solo today after putting 180 rounds through it.

Looked really good inside other than being dirty. Almost no shaving or metallic dust at all. The R9 always had metallic dusting. I never could get anyone to reply of it was normal or not. Do any of you have an opinion here.

So I took the solo out back and ran another 57 flawless rounds through it. 7 more 147 gr gold dot and 50 federal hi shock ($25 on lucky gunner) 147 gr.

Ran great again.

That makes 237 total flawless rounds now.

Still haven't read ljutic's article yet. I will and I need to know what this guns weak point is. The little spring thing you have to catch when inserting the slide stop seems a bit wimpy and suspect to me, but we will see. I think I'm looking for 1000 rounds on this gun to put it through its paces; however I may wait til I get my R9 back from the factory just in case things go south. Lol. I'm out.

John Stuart Mill

Offline trident

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 02:43:47 PM »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 03:39:26 PM »
Wow nice work Trident. Very efficient way of comparing.

When you say that they aren't event close, I'm guessing you meant in build quality or something?

I originally ASSUMED you were speaking of size, but I'm not sure that's what you were getting at now that I look at this comparison. Perhaps i should ask what did you mean when you said they aren't even close?

What did you mean when you said they aren't even close?  :-\

Well I just received a bunch more ammo, so expect more range reports from me.

I will go ahead and try some non recommended 115 gr WST since I happen to have so many that I bought for the R9 that won't run em.

So trident or Lj or MRC or anyone who cares and has an opinion: why didn't Kimber make this pistol as short as the R9?

I have a suspicion. What's your take?

Also, Lj: where do I find your review on the solo? Can you send us a link please sir?

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 03:57:28 PM »
Like I said, I carry a Solo because of my proficiency with it and not because of size.  I carried a Rohrbaugh for about 6 months and I could not tell it from a Kahr P380.  In fact I used the same holster for both.

The Solo is much more to pocket carry in my opinion but it still works fine for me.  Everyone is different.  I have carried a PM9 and a Boberg XR9s in my pocket also with no trouble.

I took the barrels of both the Solo and the R9 while cleaning them, inserted a cartridge and measured the  barrel length that way with a calipers.  The Solo barrel is longer than advertised and the R9 is shorter.  The R9 has less than .1" more length.  With the rough bore on the R9, they chronograph nearly identical.

The Solo is longer because it is striker fired vs. the hammer fired R9.  This takes extra length behind the chamber to accomplish.  In my pocket the main determining factor is weight and slide thickness as far as ease of carry.  Length does not make a lot of difference in my opinion.  That is up to a point also.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 05:41:53 PM »
Great insights. Thanks MRC.

I would like to see pics of RCM11's all black model with crimson trace. Are you still waiting for delivery or do you have it?

John Stuart Mill

Offline trident

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 07:44:58 PM »
If you own both you know...solo is a brick compared to the r9. I like both a lot and am not prejudiced , its just reality.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 08:05:09 PM »
If you own both you know...solo is a brick compared to the r9. I like both a lot and am not prejudiced , its just reality.

I do not know if "brick" is the right term, but I agree, there is a big difference.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 08:11:39 PM »
Seems a bit extreme, but ok I accept that as your opinion.

I'm pocket carrying it now and I would rather have my R9 truthfully, but this isn't bad really TO ME.

I have been carrying it IWB and I've personally loved it. Very comfortable and it doesn't bang on my leg all day. Even the R9 isn't my favorite thing to put in my pocket all day. I'm picky though.

How much heavier is it anyway?

I think 13.7 (R9) compared 17.1(solo) if memory serves me right (it usually doesn't.)

Well thanks for the contributions to forum. And I think it helps to have someone with a contrary opinion so things don't get carried away in a one sided fawning.

The comparison pics were very helpful too.

John Stuart Mill