Author Topic: Retiring the R9?  (Read 5564 times)

Offline Rich3006

Retiring the R9?
« on: October 16, 2014, 04:19:24 PM »
Like everyone else I have been watching and waiting about news concerning the fate of Rohrbaugh.  I have started thinking that maybe I should consider retiring my R9S since it may become collectable.  But what to replace it with?  I have casually been reviewing some of the other choices on the market and it seems either the Kahr PM9 or the Kimber Solo may be the choices closest in size to the R9.  Any thoughts on these pistols?  Do they carry in the pocket as nicely as the R9 does?  Anybody have any experience carrying either of these guns on a daily basis?  Any other options to consider?

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Retiring the R9?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 05:12:32 PM »
IMO nothing 9mm  caliber or above carries as conveniently as the R9.  Although the Solo is close, it is not the same, and it also must be carried with the safety on.  The best alternative if you are willing to go to a lower caliber is the Seecamp .32 (or the 380 if you can stand the recoil).  The deal is simply that there will not be enough increase in value of a single R9 to make it worth "retiring" the pistol that could conceivably save your life...now if you buy 100 of them and hold on, you might make a buck or two, but I would still carry at least one of them!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 05:16:21 PM »
I currently own all three of the pistols you named and have carried them all.

Neither the PM9 or the Solo will carry like a Rohrbaugh, both are larger and heavier.  I carry a Solo everyday and it is a great pistol and, for me, it is easier to carry than the PM9.  The square shape of the top of the slide of the PM9 makes it print more and feel larger than it really is.

Now the good news.  I feel both can be pocket carried easily, put it in your pocket and the second day you will not even notice it.

For me, both are much easier to shoot than the R9.  That is why the R9 sits in my safe.  I can get the seven rounds off faster and with more accuracy that the R9 with both of these pistols.  To me, that is the most important reason in choosing what you carry.  Both are +P rated which is important for a short barreled pistol in my opinion.

You might also look at the Boberg XR9s.  It is a very nice pistol, easy to shoot and probably the most accurate of the group.  It holds one more round, has a longer barrel than the others, and also is +P rated.  It is also the most difficult of the group to pocket carry in my opinion.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 05:18:30 PM by MRC »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 05:37:46 PM »
MRC, I basically agree with your assessment.  My Boberg shorty is a great IWB carry, but a little too big for my pocket...of them all it is the most accurate with aimed fire and the easiest to shoot.  My Solo STS had some initial issues, is easy to use and has good sights for what it is, but I need to put more rounds thru it before it will carry...I still think the SA character requires safety on, and I worry that in a panic situation I would forget the dang safety was there. 

Accuracy is great when you are aiming the handgun, but most confrontations result in move and pray and point and shoot, which is why 80% of rounds fired (even by police) miss the target...whatever each individual can use to get off rounds quickly and instinctively mostly on target would be the best carry I guess.  Having more rounds available and/or a faster reload would require a larger weapon with less comfortable and concealable character, but is still something to strongly consider with belt carry and a properly fitted wardrobe as a viable alternative.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
My problem with the R9 is when I am purposely trying to shoot fast (spray and pray), I will start to lose my grip and can't get all 7 rounds off with the accuracy I think I need to.  This does not happen with the Solo, PM9, or XR9.

I am on my second Solo and I have never had any failures with either.  I just wanted to trade up to the CDP to get checkered front strap and night sights.

I carry the Solo in a DeSantis Superfly with the safety off.  I have read several Solo reviews by the "so called experts" and several have recommended this as well.  I feel safe.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:22:55 PM by MRC »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 08:42:29 PM »
With a broken r9 I have been in a similar dilemma trying to figure out what to pocket carry.

I personally don't prefer pocket carry. Everything prints and wants to pull my pants down.

Knowing my prejudice, I could really only pocket carry R9 or smaller. I could only carry 9 or 380 with confidence.

Only really 4 choices FOR ME since the solo and Kahr 9 are too big for me to pocket carry comfortably.

1) R9 and it doesn't shoot like my Kimber Solo as MRC pointed out. Aside from some muzzle flip (manageable) and 2 fingers on the gun it fires like a bigger gun IMO. Over 1500 rounds on mine now. Flawless with proper ammo. Finally, in an effort to get mine to become reliable I broke it. Rats.

2) Kahr 380 which is the same size as the R9. I have not been able to come up with the right ammo for this gun to prove itself reliable yet though. LOVE how the guns shoots. Very accurate. You can dump 7 rounds and the little gun is smooth as a pocket 380 could be, but even after a trip to the factory I still have some bugs to work out. Thought I had it worked out.

3) Seecamp 380... NOT. Belly gun IMO. I could hit a silhouette center of mass, but I aim at the crotch to do so. It HURTS the trigger finger badly too. Ouch.

4) sig 238 not my style. Don't like cocked and locked in my pocket. I know the thought that it's the same as a striker fired pistol, but not to my mind. Just doesn't feel right. Nice gun, but not for me.

Even though I like certain polymer guns for reliability the ruger, smith and keltech have no place of interest FOR ME. 

I want to get the Kahr 9, but with the issues of reliability out of the 380 I'm a bit gun shy.

I currently opt to carry iWB 6 days a week when my shirt is untucked. More comfortable for me. Sunday is a pot luck of either ankle carry, belly band or pocket carry if my pants aren't too tight for comfortable, concealed carry. Not real happy with these options, but I'm committed to carrying as much as I can.

If you are a dedicated Pocket carrier and your R9 makes you happy I would personally carry it. It will probably end up left to a kid and I imagine it would be of far greater value with some good old fashioned wear from dads daily use than if it were pristine. That's how I look at it anyway.

That being said I can't bring myself to scratch up certain guns  I own either. They aren't the ones I carry though.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 08:46:15 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 07:04:40 AM »
I have been carrying a Glock 42 in a pocket holster
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 02:05:58 PM »
Did anybody look back at the older Kahrs...like the K9.  All SS...no plastic.

It was one of the first smaller 9mm and was just a bit heavier as I recall. 
I don't remember the size difference...but it was a really nice gun.
Tough to find now...but not high dollar.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 02:49:39 PM »

Wait until January and get a Glock 43 in 9mm....  I hope.   ;)

Not as small as an R-9, but still should be a damn nice gun based on my testing of the Glock 42.

Speaking of that, the issue of Shooting Illustrated with my Glock 42 review is on newsstands now!

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 07:37:17 PM »
The Seecamp 32 is a true pocket pistol - the seecamp 380 is OK, but you will never run a lot of rounds through it. It really depends on 'How you carry', and naturally the bigger the caliber the better.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 11:47:21 PM »

Wait until January and get a Glock 43 in 9mm....  I hope.   ;)

Not as small as an R-9, but still should be a damn nice gun based on my testing of the Glock 42.

Speaking of that, the issue of Shooting Illustrated with my Glock 42 review is on newsstands now!

I will have to look up you G42 review. That's really cool.

As for the "43" I will look forward to that release. Sounds like you do have some insiders info maybe😏

I like pretty guns. And wheel guns. And weird guns. I like Glock too ; ) polymar or not they are effective.

January shot show is around the corner.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)