Author Topic: Is the trigger on the LCR as smooth as the R9 ?  (Read 4571 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Is the trigger on the LCR as smooth as the R9 ?
« on: October 22, 2014, 12:13:09 AM »
I'm really interested in the new LCR from Ruger, is the trigger as nice as the R9?

I hear a lot of good things about the trigger of the LCR but I don't see how that trigger can turn a cylinder and cock a hammer and be as nice as the R9.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Is the trigger on the LCR as smooth as the R9 ?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 09:11:58 AM »

My gunsmith said it is very smooth but I haven't compared one to the R9. Here is the one I have in mind:

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5456.html

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 10:42:33 AM »
I don't think the trigger is as smooth as the R9 but it is pretty good I think. My wife likes it and that is all that matters, happy wife happy life.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 01:14:53 PM »

I just checked with my gunsmith again and he said he bought an LCR .38 spl for his wife and the trigger was smooth enough at 7 lbs. that he didn't feel it was necessary to alter.

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 10:50:25 PM »
That is a good question.
I thought about it for a while, and had to do a side by side comparison.
They really are  surprisingly similar. My LCR is a very early .38 with the laser grip.
In slow deliberate fire, the LCR feels more springy, a little stiffer, and has a little a little take-up before the first "click" as the cylinder starts to rotate. It's  bigger grip frame probably offsets any perceptible disadvantage.
The Rohrbaugh is more consistent in that it doesn't seem to stack up or lighten through the trigger stroke. Buttery and direct is the best I can come up with. My LCR definitely has the smoothest trigger of any small frame revolver in my experience, but is not in league with my pup.
All that being said, neither one is a finger tip, ride the trigger, feel the break, long distance target gun in my opinion. When I shoot either of these pocket rockets, I grip it tight and pull straight through to the trigger stop, and then let the trigger all the way out.  When squeezing them off in real life, my booger hook doesn't feel much difference.
I like the LCR a lot and pocket carry it when I am going to be in an environment that is unfriendly to the Rohrbaugh's finish. I take special care of my favorite, and bring out one of my yard dogs for the dirty jobs.
  Hope this helps.
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 07:01:03 AM »
The LCR that I am interested in is the 9mm version, just to be clear.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:38:24 PM by C0untZer0 »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 08:58:26 PM »

The trigger pull should be the same as the .38 spl; the only difference is the moon clips for the 9 mm which is not acceptable to some.

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 11:05:12 PM »
I'll be the loyal opposition.

I had a borrowed LCR for my range report posted here a month or so ago; give or take.

I didn't like it.  :o

I borrowed it with an eye towards buying one. I found that I preferred the Smith J frame by a WIDE margin. Personal preference only.

I found an odd cylinder-rotation-thing with the LCR (reported elsewhere online) ...when I closed the cylinder and indexed it, it often (too often) wanted to just spin freely.

The trigger was fine, smooth I guess, but I like the two stage of the Smith better. Maybe that's just me and what I am used to. I also wish the R9 had a more positive return.

-Hey, I'm a Glock shooter.  :-X

I was grateful to my buddy for the loaner. I will not be buying an LCR.

Heck, now they are openly (and rather professionally) encouraging attacks against, on duty and off, as well as the families of, American cops. So my G19 has been moving up in the rotation.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 11:15:07 PM »

The G19 has been at the top of my rotation and top shelf close to bedside for quite awhile now.

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 11:52:31 PM »
That's my duty gun. Just got one with rails for a light, since my original doesn't have any.

I often think that, if I had to keep one gun only, it'd be my G26.

And it still probably would.

In Glock Armorer School they gave me a G17 to work on. To be honest, if I could carry one of those on duty I would.

Tomorrow. 

But overall, the G19 may just be the one-single-best combat handgun around, in a world of perfectly serviceable combat handguns, where everyone and his uncle has a preference.

I don't know.

It's one heck of a pistol.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 10:43:01 PM »
Looking at the LCR, I just appreciate the Rohrbaugh R9 more.

The LCR is 6.5" OAL, 4.5" high and weighs 17.5 ounces empty.  Obviously thicker than the R9.

Bigger, heavier and holds fewer rounds. :(

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 08:45:07 AM »
A sub-contractor on the build-out here at Critter Creek carries one of the .38 Spl LCRs.  I just had a chance to try its trigger and was surprised at how smooth it was.  It stacks just enough to notice immediately before the firing pin is released.  That's a good thing. I did notice some slight scoring on the cylinder, something I have always thought might be an indication of future timing issues in a wheel gun, but overall I was very impressed with the piece.  Nothing is going to replace the R9 in my pocket, but the LCR is definitely worthy of consideration for EDC.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"