Author Topic: Glock 42 or Ruger LCP?  (Read 6057 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Glock 42 or Ruger LCP?
« on: November 10, 2014, 04:38:17 PM »
My younger step-daughter, who has her carry permit, recently expressed a desire to own a small pistol chambered for .380 ACP to serve as an "indestructible truck gun" to reside more or less permantly in the console gun safe of her automobile. She says she doesn't want to use her highly prized S&W .38 Special or R9 for such purpose. To my way of thinking the best selection to meet her description would be either the Glock 42 or Ruger LCP, and I intend to give her one or the other as a Christmas present. However, since I neither own nor have yet shot either of these pistols, I would appreciate knowing what those of you having experience with each of them might recommend. Because of the sensitivity of the Glock triggers (I own a G17 modified with a "New York" trigger and an action job by the legendary Teddy Jacobson - "Actions by T"), I am leaning toward the Ruger in this instance but am open to persuasion.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 04:52:45 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: Glock 42 or Ruger LCP?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 05:03:01 PM »
Richard  -  Of those two choices, I would certainly go for the Glock over the LCP.

Ruger makes good serviceable pistols and for a car gun I might suggest a LC9 since she already shoots a R9.  If a 380 is more to her liking, how about a LC380?

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 05:13:40 PM »

I own both, carry both.  For a "truck gun" I would definitely choose the Glock 42.  Easier to handle, easier to shoot, and size isn't a big deal.

I might recommend the Glock 42 over the LCP for carry too, but that is a closer call.  ;)

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 05:52:01 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen! I highly value your opinions. The Glock 42 it shall be.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 06:59:11 PM »
The plan has come together for my younger step-daughter's Christmas gift. I have now taken delivery of a NIB Glock 42 together with a rear slide cover plate engraved with her initials, NDZ Performance grip frame insert plug, Joe Man Gear "Mercury" trigger guard, monogrammed leather pocket holster by Braids Holsters, Inc., of Myrtle Beach, SC, and Speer Gold Dot 90 Gr. .380 ACP HP LE Ammunition. I think this will be a Christmas gift she will treasure.

Thank you again, gentlemen, for your recommendations.

Edit: Corrected typo.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 09:16:07 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 07:19:56 PM »
Please feel free to include me as a step-son anytime you want!
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 08:25:14 PM »
Well done Richsrd...a gift that will be cherished for the lifetime that it protects.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 08:58:18 PM »
Sounds like it has the Richard touch.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 10:01:19 PM »
Thank you all.

It was fortunate that I had only a son by previous marriage. I found it easy to raise a son. My philosophy was to teach him to swim, fight, ride, shoot, hunt, fish, and respect women. The rest, I assumed, would fall in place. And so it proved to be. He could swim before he could walk and is now a marine biologist with a Masters degree from St. Andrews in Scotland who spends about as much time under water as out of it.

If I had been given a daughter to raise I fear I would have built a bubble around her and thereby incurred her lasting resentment. You all know those "Ten Rules for Dating My Daughter," the tenth one of which ends with the words, "The camouflaged face in the bushes will be mine." It is probably better in my case that I acquired my two beautiful daughters as fully grown ladies with advanced degrees. And when the husband of the younger of the two proved to be unworthy it was my distinct and extraordinary pleasure to handle her divorce. (The defendant hardly knew what hit him.)

But enough introspection. Happy Thanksgiving to you all! My beloved little wife is finally on the mend, family is coming to Critter Creek, and life is good again.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 10:15:33 AM »
With Thanksgiving over and my younger step-daughter gone back to her home, I was able to take out her Glock 42 Christmas present and install the NDZ Performance grip frame insert plug and rear slide cover plate engraved with her initials.  The Joe Man Gear "Mercury" trigger guard is also shown in the box of the first photograph.

This is one fine little pistol, just as Duane described in his review, the link to which is posted here:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=7520.0

It was all I could do to restrain myself from taking this G42 out to the range for a firing session.  However, the pleasure of that first session should be that of the soon-to-be new owner.   8)

_____

Problem: I now want a G42 for myself. I certainly don't need one, but I find myself wanting one. I may be having what one of my friends calls "a Glock epiphany."   :-\
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:29:12 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 03:17:38 PM »

Richard  -  Go ahead and buy it, need has nothing to do with gun purchases.  Wait until you see the new Wildey Pistol/Carbine set I have coming in.

The trigger guard is an interesting product, thanks for posting.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 03:56:11 PM »
Problem: I now want a G42 for myself. I certainly don't need one, but I find myself wanting one. I may be having what one of my friends calls "a Glock epiphany."   :-\
« Last Edit: Today at 12:29:12 PM by Richard S »

A wise man once told me that the older you get in life, not everything has to make economical sense.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 05:39:32 PM »
To quote Ten Bears in "The Outlaw Josie Wales," you gentlemen "speak words of iron."

I'll undoubtedly treat myself to a G42, but here is why I really don't need another .380:

And, MRC, I can't wait to see a photo of that Wildey pistol/carbine.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 05:42:09 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"