Author Topic: S&W Governor  (Read 6410 times)

Offline Phsimone

• Master
S&W Governor
« on: November 20, 2014, 04:28:05 PM »
Hello all, I know this is a silly question but how many of you folks have had experience with the S&W Governor 410 revolver. ( I am sure there are several people with experience with this item) What do you think? I have fired a Judge before but am now thinking about purchasing a 410 and wondering what opinions on how they compare and any other information out there. Not interested in a derringer so if someone knows another alternative I of course would love to hear it. Thanks

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: S&W Governor
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 08:22:51 PM »
I have the Judge and like it for bedroom backup but have no experience with the Smith...I do suspect that it will be pricier and perhaps more elegant.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 11:16:17 PM »
I had a nice magnum Lightweight judge and sold it. If I were to buy again I would get the governor because it will fire .45 ACP in addition to backup9׳s comments.

My understanding is that .45 long colt is no more powerful than .45 acp due to powder improvements. Yet it's much costlier and hard to find.

I think S&W can run 3", 410 cartridges.

Both are a unique niche filler though. I decided to get rid of mine for doubts about penetration of the .410. That coupled with the tremendous size with only 5 rounds and a double action trigger made me give way to other concepts.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:13:30 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 09:58:08 PM »
Thanks gentleman, I am considering purchase for under the nightstand, car etc. The S&W takes 6 21/2" 410 shells or 45acp or long. You can mix your ammo with any combination from what I understand. A little large for CCW I guess. 000 shot should be more than sufficient for HD. Going to see if I can find one at my local GS so I can see how it feels in the hand.

Offline Rich3006

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 10:19:06 AM »
Not trying to rain on your parade, but I have never understood this whole .410 in a revolver for self-defense thing.  I remember when it was said a .410 shotgun was not sufficient for self-defense purposes.  If the .410 was not sufficient in a long barreled shotgun, I don't see how it would be viable in a short barreled revolver.  I think there are much better choices for self-defense weapons. 

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 12:38:01 PM »

I tend to agree with you, Rich. A .410 is better than nothing but there are better alternatives. Apparently, some others think so, too.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/taurus_judge_3inch.htm   

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 04:37:32 PM »
Well, I have done alot of reading and spent time watching video on the 410 through a 21/2 inch barrel. The information is all over the place. The videos show what I would also consider a mixed bag. Cannot count on a mixed bag for HD so I guess I will leave my 45 where it is. I certainly have confidence with it, at least for now and the moss 500 is also available fairly quickly in a corner of my security closet. Unfortunately my pistol accuracy has begun to suffer with the deterioration of my health, so I guess I will try and put in more range time to maintain the best skills possible as time goes on.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 06:11:43 PM »

You sound very well protected with a .45 and/or a 12 ga. As you know 10 ring hits are not required for HD.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 06:24:33 PM »
I just saw this Weatherby PA-459 TR8, made in Turkey, reviewed in "Shooting Illustrated" and as a result of your post I discovered that it is also available in .20 ga., which holds a lot of interest for me in a HD scenario. This shotgun is now offered in 7+1 capacity.

http://www.weatherby.com/product/shotguns/pump_tr/pa459_tr
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 07:13:08 PM by tracker »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 08:22:28 PM »
Not trying to rain on your parade, but I have never understood this whole .410 in a revolver for self-defense thing.  I remember when it was said a .410 shotgun was not sufficient for self-defense purposes.  If the .410 was not sufficient in a long barreled shotgun, I don't see how it would be viable in a short barreled revolver.  I think there are much better choices for self-defense weapons.

My bed room is approached down a 20 foot long hall and is dark at night.  The bedside H&K .40 with strobe is comforting as is the 12 gauge but I am right handed and the hall runs to the right of the door making it necessary for me to be exposed to fire an aimed shot with the pistol or to maneuver the shot gun around the corner effectively. The Judge with .410 self defense rounds (2 discs plus shot) would make a left handed unaimed shot down that hallway a "blindingly" effective first response to an intruder
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 10:40:27 PM »

If you could wake up out of a deep sleep and have the clear mind to pick up a shock and awe weapon in your left hand and a defense gun in your right hand you are on another level of alertness than I am on a good day.

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 08:05:11 AM »
Each of us have our unique problems when it comes to defending our homes in the middle of the night. I too have the twenty+ foot hallway leading out of my bedroom. The tough part for me is that my two sons have doors leading out into that hallway. It is difficult to think of all the scenarios which might take place without warning in the middle of the night while asleep. Which opening will be breached, the entire rear of the house is glass, rear door at kitchen is an option it too has glass. All doors are dead bolted with no thumb latches on the inside except my bathroom door off the pool deck which is a hurricane door. They would take a bit of time trying to break through and would be perfect for me, away from the kids and 10ft from my nightstand with some cover for me and a blind dead end to come through. Locks would probably have to be picked in the rest of the house which of course is a possibility. The entire rear is sliding glass doors, fairly well secured and would make significant noise to overcome. Oh of course there is always my 15 pound Jack Russell who thinks he is a Doberman who will no doubt make quite an incredible amount of noise and would show me where the threat is right of the bat. Or will they approach via the garage door which is hidden from view and would be the smartest route, through another 20 ft hallway into the great room. At least that hallway only has the guest suite on it and is used rarely occupied. How far will the intruder get into the home before clarity of mind is sufficient to react in the most effective manner? It is just a scary thought, which if something were to occur the adrenalin hopefully would be sufficient to put a defensive plan into play very quickly. I too have a strobe on my 45 and have actually walked through, when no one was home several defensive plans, locating cover on the different routes of attack. It is not something any of us want to be involved in but one must be prepared. Sort of like the idea of the 410 maybe 2 quick shots at 15 feet or so would stop an agressor, but........well with the 410 there seems to be a but or a maybe. You know the only way to feel comfortable with it would be to personally go out and get a hot and sends some rounds down range at say between 15 and 25 feet and examine what effect it has.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 08:51:06 AM »
I have a good friend who is in the home security business. His whole approach is to " discourage " the bad guys from entering your house. A camera system covering all angles around your home and a central station home alarm with cell phone and extra battery backup, along with an outside secure alarm that would wake up the dead, are excellent deterrents. He feels that a home protected like this will be passed over by the bad guys, in most cases. My friend who is a Sheriff agrees. What does he recommend for home protection?…a shotgun…a pump over a semi-automatic. Backup by 9mm semi-automatics with magazines that hold 14+ rounds. A safe room with a cell phone in it along with your home arsenal should do the trick.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 11:50:07 AM »
Well I can say I agree with the cameras,the alarm system (which I do have) Sounds like sound advice to me.

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 08:31:54 PM »
Just clarification, I do not have the security cameras. I am not sure how my HOA or neighbors might respond to a camera system.