Author Topic: Kahr PM9 & CM9 just got 1/8" longer  (Read 4932 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Kahr PM9 & CM9 just got 1/8" longer
« on: May 01, 2011, 11:07:42 AM »
Kahr is moving to a new tapered front nose from the blunt front that most people probably recognize.  The top picture shows the new design, with the slide now extending past the frame.

People who are getting the newer pistols are reporting that they are about 1/8" longer than the older design.  

Kahr's website isn't updated with this information and doesn't show the new length measurments.  Kahr used to be 5.42" overall.  Kahr hasn't published the specs for the new design but I think it changes the OA length to 5.545"  Although it isn't larger by much, the new design makes the PM9 & CM9 larger than the SIG P290.

The design change is discussed here:

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6538
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 11:10:07 AM by C0untZer0 »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Kahr PM9 & CM9 just got 1/8" longer
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 01:44:12 AM »
I bet the holster makers are just gunna love that!

The last thing you want to due if carrying concealed is have the new style gun in an old style holster.  Pushing the gun down snug will force the slide to retract a little bit.
Then when you draw, there may not be enough stored energy in the recoil spring to fully drop the slide  without a little help.

Opps!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 12:50:27 PM »
Kahr mishandled the whole thing.

Even people who are purchasing the firearms are not aware of it.

Kahr's website has new pictures of the new tapered design accompanied by the old specs, and their website is presenting old info - both on the appearance and specs of guns that consumers will not get if they order.  I mean what you order will be different from what is presented on their website.

Yes - the holster makers are scrambling.  They didn't get any advance notice.

What's worse is that Kahr's own parts department doesn't seem to have been prepared in an way for it either.

They didn't make a change in the nomenclature, but the parts are different - there are different recoil springs now, but there isn't a system in place to identify which springs any particular customer is ordering and no way to get them the right springs.

You have to count the coils - compare your old spring with the new replacement that you receive to ensure that they sent you the part that you needed.

And that could go for holsters also,  Kahr doesn't seem to be putting out any info on it so it would be up the holster makers to somehow designate their product as to which Kahr design a particular holster was designed to fit.  Right now, you could purchase a Kahr PM9, get the new design, purchase a holster specifically designed for the Kahr PM9, and not have it fit or work so well because it really was designed for "the other" Kahr PM9.

It's a mess right now - really mishandled.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 04:15:04 PM »
Not too professional for the corportate world, a real cluster..

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 08:39:28 AM »
Did they change the Slide size or the Frame size?

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 09:50:04 AM »
It appears that just the slide extends a bit further from the frame.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 09:50:19 AM by Reinz »

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 12:53:14 PM »
It's being talked about on the Kahr forums, but from what I can tell, the new PM9 weighs 15.10 oz empty.  Kahr's website lists the PM9 as 14oz, but they haven't updated the specification info on their website.

They did change the OA length posted on their website from 5.3 to 5.42 (new tapered), even though they didn't in all cases post new pictures or update with the new weight.   So, when I surmised that the new length was 5.545", I was wrong.  The new length is 5.42", the old blunt nose length was 5.3"

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6807