Author Topic: Today We Give Thanks  (Read 3078 times)

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Today We Give Thanks
« on: November 25, 2021, 12:11:09 PM »
Good Afternoon Everyone:

I'd just like to acknowledge today as a day we all traditionally give Thanks for everything we have. Our Food, our homes, our modes of transportation, our means of employment, etc. . . . . . . however, we must give thanks first and foremost for our spouses and children, our families, our friends, our health, and to our forefathers who managed to make the last frontier settlement on Earth hundreds of years ago one of the greatest, Our America.

These times are most difficult in so many ways. It is best for us to try and keep a bright outlook on the future. Our future. America’s future. With God’s Blessings, we can achieve this.

With sincere love, I wish you all. . . . . A Very Happy Thanksgiving in this year 2021.

Respectfully Yours,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh and Family

Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Today We Give Thanks
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 09:20:21 AM »
Well said Eric.  My wife and I each suffered minor health disasters separately on Saturday.  Most of the week was spent in ER’s, doctor’s offices and labs.  In consequence our Thanksgiving dinner was a spinach salad with toasted almond slivers, raisins, bacon and cheese, a really tasty and filling meal for which we gave thanks.  Family and friends make us whole.  Those of us who’ve been around a while understand that no one is guaranteed another day….we needs must enjoy the day we have, and be thankful for it.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 06:38:13 PM »
Amen to to that Sir.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 06:59:07 PM »
Eric, We do have a lot to be thankful for, but sometimes forget the simple things or take them for granted.  Thank you for the reminder.

Backupr9, I hope things are going better for you and your wife.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 07:19:20 PM by wildmanwill »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 08:49:53 AM »
Thank you both.  The wife is healing and moving around with a rolling walker.  I face multiple tests next week but remain confident that a good outcome is likely.  As we get older our horizons close in a bit, but life remains a wonderful gift. 

Eric, I shot ol’ 4700 last week.  What a joy to hold and shoot!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 05:13:56 PM »
That ole' R4700 was a special R9 I made for a good friend of mine. I'm glad she has a good home. My friend John would be happy to know this.  Stay well, my friends. Good health is the most important thing we have to be aware of and achieve if at all possible.

ECR

Offline chrisodasso@comcast.net

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 09:43:18 PM »
I’m thankful for everything, not the least of which is getting to know many fine people on this site.
I wish a painless and solid recovery, to you, backupr9 and your wife!
At 62 and now having age-related troubles, I’m beginning to understand the wisdom of the words.
Best wishes, all!
Chris

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 09:43:25 AM »
Thanks Chris, but at 62 you are just middle-aged.  Wait until you are on the far side of 78.  At 60, I noted that things rattled a bit when I hit a bump.  At 70 they rattled a lot.  At 75, pieces started to drop off!   ;)
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 09:55:11 AM »
Thanks Chris, but at 62 you are just middle-aged.  Wait until you are on the far side of 78.  At 60, I noted that things rattled a bit when I hit a bump.  At 70 they rattled a lot.  At 75, pieces started to drop off!   ;)

Oh no, as someone whose age still starts with a 5, beginning to wonder what I've gotten myself into................... :D

Take care all,

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 11:25:39 AM »
The only thing that improves with age is behavior, but vertical and on the green side of the grass is a good thing.

Offline chrisodasso@comcast.net

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 01:00:51 AM »
I love the sound of that, “middle-aged”.  :). Thank you.

I sure have not adapted well to the 60s.  Even if all goes smashingly, definitely a lot less years left than the ones I’ve already ran through.  It has had me… nervous.

Okay.  I’m done crying like a baby.  I WILL live better than I have lived before.  I’ll make one year better than twenty I’ve wasted in the past, worrying about…. take your pick, none of it ever amounted to a hill of beans!

If I reach that far side of 78, I’ll remember to take it in the good spirit, with gratitude and humor, like my friend has displayed.

Night

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 08:43:42 AM »
My wife & I will be on the East Coast near you soon. If you need our help in any way, please let me know. My wife is an eldercare professional who loves to help people. Reach me anytime at 941.961.3550.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2021, 09:57:00 AM »
Chris, well said!  Good advice once offered to me:  Be strong, live honorably and with dignity.  When you don’t think you can, hold on”.

Cargaritaville, your offer is generous and greatly appreciated.  For the moment we have everything in hand.  My younger son is a Delta Pilot who lives near Orlando and is available if needed.  Several tests loom this week and next.  Depending on results we will likely proceed with a DC cardioversion and perhaps a pacemaker if necessary.  My dad lived to 88.  He was a better man than I, but in this one thing I would like to at least match him! ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 12:41:37 PM »
 Several weeks ago my wife went in for surgery of a basal-cell carcinoma on her lower right eyelid. It was scheduled for early morning but they discovered that she had a heart rate of 34, so the surgery was cancelled. We then went to a Cardiologist who confirmed the problem and by eight o'clock that evening she had a pacemaker. She had the basal-cell removed by Mohs surgery this morning and all is well, apparently.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2021, 03:24:26 PM »
We can all gripe about the problems with medical care in the U.S., but it is a quantum leap better than most anywhere else, and miracles are performed every hour of every day somewhere in this great country.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis