Author Topic: gold dot  (Read 6612 times)

Offline ford999

gold dot
« on: March 13, 2012, 04:02:55 PM »
Hi all, Does anyone know the difference between standard gold dot ammo and gold dot le? Looked on their website and can't seem to find out. Ron

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: gold dot
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 04:23:30 PM »

I don't think there is any difference. Every box of Gold Dots that I have are labeled "LE." If you look on the Ammotogo website all of their Gold Dots are LE.

Offline 72AV8R

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 04:44:32 PM »
The difference is in the packaging (20 vs50), and the price. Tha LE ammo is roughly one half the cost of the non LE.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 05:52:32 PM »
Hi all, Does anyone know the difference between standard gold dot ammo and gold dot le? Looked on their website and can't seem to find out. Ron

Here is what Speer says the difference is:

http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/golddot.aspx

http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/gold_dot_prsnl.aspx

http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/lawman.aspx

The LE has brass casings and the regular (personal defense) has brass casings that are nickelplated for smooth feeding with the regular(personal defense) having a different powder configuration although LE has Gold Dot like ballistics so says Speer.

I like the LE and the 50 per box and as said above, half the price.

Edit to note:  The above info is not correct, in that I confused LE and Lawman ammos as being the same.  See post below. 

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:30:57 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 08:34:35 PM »

I beg to differ but my LE labeled Gold Dots also have nickel plated brass casings.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 08:51:56 PM »

I beg to differ but my LE labeled Gold Dots also have nickel plated brass casings.

Just quoting from the Speer web site. 

http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/gold_dot_prsnl.aspx

However, going back and looking at the website, LE and Lawman are two different kinds of ammo, so I'm going to stand corrected.  I also just looked at the casings of the box of LE, 50 rds, shot in the Boberg and they do look like nickel.   Just disregard what I said above.

I'm wrong!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:06:26 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline ford999

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 05:53:33 PM »
thanks for the info guys, knew I could get an answer here.

Offline Craigt

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 09:44:54 PM »
Is there any chance that the primers are different between Non-LE and LE?

I have been using Non-LE and since my R9 got it's new slide (original cracked) and a stiffer trigger spring (I believe) I have had no light strike failure to fires.  I bought a case of 124 gr LE a few months ago and since have hade numerous light strike failure to fires.  All these rounds would eventually fire after a second or third or fourth trigger pull.

Craig T.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 10:24:18 PM »

I have been using Non-LE and since my R9 got it's new slide (original cracked) and a stiffer trigger spring (I believe) I have had no light strike failure to fires.  I bought a case of 124 gr LE a few months ago and since have hade numerous light strike failure to fires.  All these rounds would eventually fire after a second or third or fourth trigger pull.

Craig T.

Now, from what I understand, they both are the same.   

Offline RickP

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »

Craig T.

I use LE and Lawman exclusively, and have had no problems. You might want to get some LE from a different batch and see if the light strikes continue. If so, a call to the factory may be in order.