Author Topic: 45 caliber  (Read 8703 times)

Offline Emjimb

45 caliber
« on: September 21, 2005, 07:18:31 PM »
Ok -now that my r9 is snug in my pocket -I am in the market for a 45 -do not really like the 1911 "cock and lock" -have considered the following -Maybe someone can reply -and thanks for a great forum .

HK sub compact
Sig p245
Para /either cco or carry 12 -like more shots
Ruger New ? P345

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: 45 caliber
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 07:27:40 PM »
Emjimb,

Recently, I've read some unfavorable comments about the Para.

My favorite would be a Sig, but I need a short trigger because of small hands.  One thing about a Sig, it should always work.

Teddy Jacobson, the well known pistolsmith from Texas prefers, in a small size,  either the Glock 36, or the sub compact HK.

I had the G36.  You hear people griping about it only holding six rounds.

Again, my favorite would be the Sig, or would consider the HK if it felt OK in the hand.

Bill
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 07:27:47 PM by Michigunner »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 07:57:19 PM »
Emjimb:

While I have always carried a 1911 "cocked and locked," the following is a link to a thread in which an alternative was discussed:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Other;action=display;num=1124060382

I'm still considering it.

As for my 1911, it started its life as a "plain-Jane," stainless-steel Colt Government Model 1991A1.  It has now been customized by Clark Custom Guns, and I am more than satisfied with the result.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 09:52:04 AM »
I was always reluctant to carry my Government model 'cocked and locked'.

Since we keep our finger off the trigger, it doesn't seem so dangerous anymore.

Still, I would be one of those chickens who carried empty for one month, just to make sure all was well.   ;)

Bill

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 03:07:13 PM »
Bill, I see what you are talking about. Its considered bad form if when you sit down there is a loud bang!!!

I've carried cocked and locked for years, its a comfort to know that everything is ready when you are.

Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 04:09:00 PM »
Tom, I carried the last two years with the chamber empty.

Now the R9 is 6+1.

It would be strange, otherwise.  There is no sense doing it, if you are not ready.  I just make sure it is always in the holster, and avoid any temptation to play with it.  It is strictly hands off when it is loaded.

Hope you don't get too much rain in the Dallas area.

We would like some here, because the Great Lakes are at low levels.

Bill

Offline LCP

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 10:33:01 PM »
My 45 carry experiences went from a Kimber CDP that I carried cocked and locked. I phased this one out for a glock 36. I thought that the narrow, lighter carry gun was the way to go.  Problem was that I just could not shoot the Glock 36 very well.  It shot low. I changed out the rear sights in hope that would help. It did not. The narrow profile of the 36 also made for uncomfortable practice sessions with that gun. I really gave it a long try but just could not shoot it well. It was traded for a Sig 239 in 40 S&w.  The Kimber sat in the safe for a long while and that wound up going for the cash to buy my R9.  I decided that I was probably not going to carry cocked and locked anymore.  It believe my problem with shooting the Glock was limited to the model 36. I now have a model 23 that I shoot very well and is very comfortable to carry and shoot.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 11:13:57 AM »
LCP,

I got too concerned about the light, short pull Glock trigger, and had a New York trigger installed.  The comfort level went way up.

I have a Sig P239 in 9mm.  It is one terrific gun.  Mine is hard chrome plated and the grips are premium selected Goncalo Alves.

It's one heck of a gun.

Bill

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 01:55:38 PM »
I have an older ParaOrd P12-45 and really like it. It gave me some problems early on but once I gave it a fluff'n'buff it's been 100% since. I also like Para's new DA trigger - it's very, very smooth. As for C&L, I wouldn't let it be a limiting factor. It is actually quite safe and, with training, will become second nature to you. With the thumb safety, grip safety, a good holster, and proper training, a 1911 is as safe as it gets.

The concern over 1911's is largely due to the cocked hammer 'looking' intimidating - the new safety by Cylinder & Slide is, IMHO, just window dressing - it does nothing to alter or enhance safety other than making it look less intimidating to the sheeple. The other concern, long since addressed - is a C&L discharging when dropped. Any gun can still theoretically have that happen but it's no longer as much of a concern due to modern safeties.

Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline LCP

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 02:34:08 PM »
Bill
I really like my 239. I used it to shoot a close range gunfighting class earlier this year. I have never had a single problem with this gun. My only complaint in its use it due to my being left handed.  The decock lever is not conveinent for a southpaw. I have been recently thinking of sending it back to Sig to have them convert it to DAO.  They do this for $120. including parts. I have not done it yet because I have been carrying the Glock 23. Although since getting the R9 I have gotten spoiled with its ease of carry compared to either the Glock or Sig.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 04:47:06 PM »
I really like mine.

Sometimes it catches on the holster, but otherwise it is as smooth as silk.

It's my favorite pistol,  great to take apart, but the R9S is the one for easiest carry.

Bill

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 04:47:21 PM »
LCP, thats what is nice about the 1911 type gun, lefties can shoot it too with a ambi safety.
Tom

Offline mefly2

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2005, 12:10:53 AM »
Although I carry a railed 1911 on duty, my sig has the "short" trigger (option or user installed) ... that might be a consideration (for Michigunner).  Just another $.02 from an over -the -hiller.
mefly2
   8)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 12:13:15 AM by mefly2 »

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2005, 09:31:06 AM »
mefly2,

My Sig has a short trigger, too.  It's just right.

I traded triggers with a guy over the internet, but asked a gunsmith to do the required work.

Bill

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2005, 06:21:47 PM »
In a pistol the .45acp is my favorite caliber.
Tom