Author Topic: Picked up a Colt I've been trying to find for awhile.  (Read 4692 times)

Offline thor447

• Master
Picked up a Colt I've been trying to find for awhile.
« on: December 11, 2011, 05:51:35 PM »
Hey everybody!  If you guys haven't noticed from my other posts, aside from obviously the Rohrbaugh's, I'm a HUGE 1911 fan.  I've had my eyes open for a Colt Custom Shop Special Combat for awhile now.  I finally found one in a small gun shop in Hinton, OK and had to get it before someone else did!  It has Colt's Hard Chrome finish which is super durable and will hold up very well.  It holds 8&1 due to the extended magwell magazines.  I ordered a set of magwell cut Rosewood Picazo grips from: http://www.esmeralda.cc and could not be happier.  This lady knows her stuff and these grips are absolutely fantastic.  Hopefully will have a range report for you all next weekend.  I'll unfortunately be unable to shoot it this week due to my work schedule.  Let me know what you guys think!

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:26:12 AM by thor447 »
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: Picked up a Colt I've been trying to find for awhile.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 07:49:27 PM »
Very well done indeed!

Awesome grips.  Love Esmerelda  :-*
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline birdman

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 08:09:40 PM »
    Thor, I don't remember if I've welcomed you to the forum, if I haven't (or even if I have ;)) then please be welcome. Your Colt is beautiful! And the grips set it off perfectly. A while back I bought a set of amboyna burl grips from Esmerelda for a Colt Defender and truly believe that they are the best looking grips I've ever seen. She does wonderful work!      Gene
birdman

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 08:16:15 PM »
Thor.  One exellent 1911!  Like everything about it.  You did good!    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 08:55:58 PM »
Thor, that is one fine looking piece...let us know how the range time goes once you get a chance.  Beautiful 1911 you have there...
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 11:09:52 PM »
Nothing better than a beautiful Colt with a pair of Esmerelda's great grips. Congrats on a fine 1911.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 12:32:38 PM »
Thanks guys!  I will send a range report just as soon as I'm able to.  I cannot wait to get some trigger time with this!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 03:15:27 PM »
Thor:

A hard-chromed Colt Custom Shop Special Combat 1911 with Esmeralda Rosewood Picazo grips is about as close to perfection in a handgun as this mere mortal believes is possible. Congratulations! That is what I call "a legacy gun."
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 12:01:41 AM »
Thor:

A hard-chromed Colt Custom Shop Special Combat 1911 with Esmeralda Rosewood Picazo grips is about as close to perfection in a handgun as this mere mortal believes is possible. Congratulations! That is what I call "a legacy gun."

Thanks Richard,
I appreciate your kind words.  I have pulled this thing from the safe nearly every day since I have owned it and cannot stop drooling over it!  A part of me wants to keep it in the box, wrapped up to ensure it's perfection and future value.  However, this thing is just begging to be shot!
- George Washington

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 12:08:42 AM »
Yup, piece like that needs to be shot....if given the choice, the weapon itself would choose to be shot.
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 12:19:45 AM »
Yup, piece like that needs to be shot....if given the choice, the weapon itself would choose to be shot.

I'm sure your right.  I only have 1 true display gun.  The WWII Invasion Of Italy Commemorative Colt for for obvious reasons.  The Special Combat will get ran through it's paces.

Here's the WWII Colt I'm referring to:

(and yes it has been thoroughly cleaned again since the photo's were taken.  After initially taking the pictures, I realized that it had been too long since this thing's last scrubbing!)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:25:10 AM by thor447 »
- George Washington

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 12:27:53 AM »
Pix didn't post, but would sure like to see.  I have a 1943 M1 Carbine, Saginaw Gear 'SG' all original.  High wood, flip sights, all the right markings and cartouche.  I even have the right SG magazine for it.  I did buy an aftemarket reproduction sling, but other than that, she's all original.  Love them war guns. 
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 12:28:34 AM »
Pix showed this time....beautiful weapon...
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 12:42:10 AM »
Ammo.  Picks didn't load the first time because I had to create a new album in photobucket, then go back and edit the [IMG] links to reflect it's new location.  All should be good now.
- George Washington

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 12:52:55 AM »
Any pics available of the M1 SG?  That would be neat to see! 

I got an original 1903 Remington 1st Series.  Picked it up after they shut down an American Legion and they had to sell of their inventory.  Original wood, bolt, etc... I learned that after the first series of 1903's, Remington, and subsequent manufacturers that helped spur production during the war (Springfield, Rock Island, HK, etc..) who made Remington's 1903 used 'S' shaped stocks.  Mine is an actual Remington.  I had a very lengthy history lesson from an old vet. at the Tulsa Gun Show and he educated me why his 1903's were $2500-$5000, while the booth next to him were selling rifles for $800-$1000.  He showed me how to tell original from fake bolts, wood kits, barrels, etc... which are commonly replaced on these rifles.  I learned that my first series stock added significant value to my old war horse!!  I told him how I had the original strap with it, but wasn't thinking one day and picked the gun up by the strap and it broke in two!  108 year old leather will do that!!  He informed me that the straps aren't really of significant value, but rather the strap mounts on the gun are what's important to have.  I found that interesting and later found a booth selling smaller items and he had 2 sets of original strap mounts selling for $200 each!!  I guess the vet knew what he was talking about! 
- George Washington