Author Topic: other pocket carry pistols  (Read 10337 times)

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
other pocket carry pistols
« on: June 27, 2012, 12:17:51 PM »
Over the years in the firearms business, I find myself specializing in carry firearms at this point. I've been a Seecamp dealer for 30 years and Rohrbaugh since they first started shipping the R9. I've been very successful with these 2 lines and have only had about 6 guns returned to the factory. In order to increase sales I have added Stag Arms with their line of AR15s. In addition I have a line of piston kits for AR15s to convert over to a better running system. USFA is also a line that I have for the cowboy in all of us.

But I am still looking for a couple of good carry guns to add to my mix in order to increase sales. So I ask this question to a group of fine folks with wide range of experience and opinions which I value. Which guns, models and caliber in different price ranges would make good additions to my offerings and why?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: other pocket carry pistols
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 01:44:32 PM »
Tom:

North American Arms might be a line of carry guns that would complement your current offerings. As you know, they offer a number of models ranging from the .22 mini-revolvers to the .380 Guardian pistols. Since they are not as expensive as the Seecamp and Rohrbaugh pistols but have good reputation for reliability, they might fill a niche market for you. 

http://northamericanarms.com/sales.html
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 02:39:50 PM »
You might be late to the party, but Heizer should have some legs if they ever start shipping them out.

Pocket carry on a budget, I've been eying Masterpiece Arms as a less expensive Seecamp sized pistol.  Hoping to get a T&E from Masterpiece and avoid duplication with Seecamp.

You can also go the Ultra High End 1911 route with Wilson, Nighthawk, Baer, and Brown.  Not sure if the margins are fat or thin, but the base prices are crazy high for the top of the line customs.

Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 08:21:44 PM »
Wilson,Baer, etc, is a great idea.   If you need a stepping stone in between- from Colt, Springfield; STI is tough to beat.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:24:04 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 08:54:38 PM »

I agree with Reinz on STI with the "T" standing for Tripp as in Virgil. He is no longer associated with them but the legacy is there.

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 09:54:30 PM »
Tom,

I think that it all depends on quality and caliber of the weapons that you want to carry. Beretta makes some good 'tip up' barrel weapons but they are in .22 and .32 caliber. I think that these are both great weapons and I own them to include the 'jetfire .25' which is not made any more. Then there is the kel-tech stuff which I have never had a problem with but many people don't like, I have had more problems with my Taurus than my kel-tech.

If it were me I would go with the Beretta's and maybe the North American Arms.

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 10:00:20 PM »
Over the years in the firearms business, I find myself specializing in carry firearms at this point. I've been a Seecamp dealer for 30 years and Rohrbaugh since they first started shipping the R9. I've been very successful with these 2 lines and have only had about 6 guns returned to the factory. In order to increase sales I have added Stag Arms with their line of AR15s. In addition I have a line of piston kits for AR15s to convert over to a better running system. USFA is also a line that I have for the cowboy in all of us.

But I am still looking for a couple of good carry guns to add to my mix in order to increase sales. So I ask this question to a group of fine folks with wide range of experience and opinions which I value. Which guns, models and caliber in different price ranges would make good additions to my offerings and why?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. Tom

I really like the S&W M&P pistols. I have a M&P9 4.25 Pro, M&P9 Full size, M&P9 3.5" compact 9mm and 9mm Shield. I have the 5"Pro 9mm on order.
They have interchangeable palmswell grips.....ambidextrous slide stops.....reversible magazine release.......crowned muzzle....stainless steel slide...stainless steel chassis ....picatinny rail.... comes in 9mm,40S&W,45acp  plus a full size 22cal for cheap practice

The best thing about them is how easy they are  to shoot. I let students in my CCW classes who are having trouble shooting their guns use a 9mm M&P and their shooting has always improved.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 10:02:12 PM by Jack_F »
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 11:00:08 PM »
Wilson,Baer, etc, is a great idea.   If you need a stepping stone in between- from Colt, Springfield; STI is tough to beat.

Great idea.  STI covers 1911 from top to bottom.  Wide body, single stack, entry level, and full blown race.  Plus they're in TX with you.  You can't beat the Spartans for entry level value. 
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 11:14:23 PM »
. "other pocket carry pistols" Sticking with the title of the post I think 1911s are not in the running, at least not in my pockets.

Sig seems to be hitting the pocket carry market pretty well with new models, or the Kahr line.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 11:19:42 PM »

Pocket carry on a budget, I've been eying Masterpiece Arms as a less expensive Seecamp sized pistol.  Hoping to get a T&E from Masterpiece and avoid duplication with Seecamp.

Been there done that.

The comparison that comes to mind is a Interarms Star .45ACP to a Colt.  :o
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 01:02:29 AM »
Been there done that.

The comparison that comes to mind is a Interarms Star .45ACP to a Colt.  :o

Ditto
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 11:48:17 AM »
The full offering of 1911s is covered. The small pocket type pistol like our R9 And Seecamp is still in question. As it seems I have the high end covered, however, I'd like to offer some more budget priced pistols. The suggestion of North American Arms has merit. The S&W Shield is also interesting. What about the Ruger .380 and 9mm and Kahr? Then there is the Diamondback line. What experience do you guys have from an end user point of view? Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 01:42:53 PM »
Then there is the Diamondback line. What experience do you guys have from an end user point of view? Tom

If you value this, "and have only had about 6 guns returned to the factory".  Then stay as far away as you can from Diamondback.  While I have had reasonably good luck with mine, there are dozens of others with problems.  I've started seeing problems myself recently after about a year and 1k down the pipe of my sub 250 off the assembly line DB9. 

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 09:41:47 PM »
The full offering of 1911s is covered. The small pocket type pistol like our R9 And Seecamp is still in question. As it seems I have the high end covered, however, I'd like to offer some more budget priced pistols. The suggestion of North American Arms has merit. The S&W Shield is also interesting. What about the Ruger .380 and 9mm and Kahr? Then there is the Diamondback line. What experience do you guys have from an end user point of view? Tom

Tom,

I have played with the Rugers and liked the .380 and the SR9C (my favorite gun right now 100% reliable and accurate) but I did not like the LC9 because of the trigger and the safety. I am a big 1911 guy and the safety was just wrong and I did not think that I would be able to turn it off in a hasty situation. I wanted the Kimber Solo but no one had one at the time so I ended up with the Taurus 709 slim (should have got the kel-tech). I have no experience with the diamondbacks.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 09:52:08 PM »
. "other pocket carry pistols" Sticking with the title of the post I think 1911s are not in the running, at least not in my pockets.

Yes, I did read the title before posting with pause, the content of the post threw me a curve.

My apologies to Tom.  :)
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE