Author Topic: The Rohrbaugh "Life-Plan"  (Read 1685 times)

Offline bluegun

• Sharpshooter
The Rohrbaugh "Life-Plan"
« on: September 05, 2006, 11:43:48 PM »
Less than informative title, but I didn't know exactly how to convey what I want to ask.  Here's the deal:  I got my R9, went to the range, fed it diverse ammo, had no problems.  Cleaned and lubed it, waited a while, then did it again.  No problems.  So after about 200 rounds, I cleaned and lubed it, loaded it, put it on my belt.

Now it's, what, six months later . . . and -- I'm wondering about all the steps to follow.

Can somebody tell me what they think the best way to care for and use the pup is, over, say, a 30 year period?

Thanks.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: The Rohrbaugh "Life-Plan"
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 11:49:17 PM »
bluegun,

My R9S was highly reliable.  There were no problems of any kind.

Then, I cleaned it and carried it in my pocket for five months with no cleaning or firing.

After five months, I tried it and got one jam out of each of three magazines.

I believe that it should be cleaned more often, perhaps once a month, or even more frequently.  

Bill

Offline bluegun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 11:53:33 PM »
thanks for your info bill.  do you think i have to worry about either recoil or mag spring "getting stale" over the long haul?

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 12:07:00 AM »
Hi bluegun,

I'm not qualified to give an opinion.

I would abide by the factory recommendation which suggests the recoil spring be replaced after so many rounds.  The recoil springs are inexpensive.  I got three in one order.

My R9S was sold because of a little arthritis.  My plan had been to clean the gun once every four weeks, and shoot one magazine of carry ammo to make sure it was utterly reliable for one magazine.

Bill

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 08:33:14 AM »
My personal opinion is, once you've satisfied yourself that the gun is 100% reliable, shoot a couple magazines of your carry ammo every 2-3 months, then clean & lube the gun. This keeps you familiar enough with the gun but it isn't digesting so many rounds that it will wear out within a few years.
Basically the same thing that Bill said.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 08:33:58 AM by harrydog »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 10:07:57 AM »
My personal opinion is, once you've satisfied yourself that the gun is 100% reliable, shoot a couple magazines of your carry ammo every 2-3 months, then clean & lube the gun. This keeps you familiar enough with the gun but it isn't digesting so many rounds that it will wear out within a few years.
Basically the same thing that Bill said.

Ditto!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 11:15:36 PM »
I am about same as Harrydog - tho at times the pup goes with me to the range and requests get made to try it!!  That usually gives it enough excercize if I haven't done it!

I have not changed recoil spring in a long time depite gun sitting idel - mainly because I feel I will have to go thru a small ''break in'' period once more - and also - reckon that in the extraordinarily small likelehood of needing the fella in extremis - even a lighter spring is unlikely to prejudice function.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.