Author Topic: R9 takedown - Bob's board design.  (Read 3070 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
R9 takedown - Bob's board design.
« on: September 26, 2004, 12:54:05 AM »
OK guys ... Bob and I have conferred and I've now put his text on my server as an html page ..... along with a drawing I made from that .... hoping it helps and is complementary.  Also, the pics he took which you may have seen on the ''R9 Cleaning''  thread here - are repeated so as to make a more comprehensive page.

I am sure that Bob (and I) will be glad to hear any suggestions and comments.  It is not set in stone I think he will agree and so is therefore maybe in part a starting point with further development possible .... as with all designs!  It is tho delightfully simple in concept and very often I think simple can be best.  So - here is where to go ....

Bob's Takedown Board
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
Re: R9 takedown - Bob's board design.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 11:55:56 AM »
Hmmm ... quite a lot of views ... but, no comments or questions?
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline JP

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 08:38:05 PM »
I did take a quick look,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and I and the first question that came to mind was the small plastic take down tool that was being looked at in an earlier thread, which I thought essentially did the same thing. I appologize, I can't remember whose design it was, but it seemed straight forward and portable. I don't have my R9S yet and haven't been in touch with this fine forum as much as I would like, so please pardon my ignorance on this issue.
NRA Patron
SAFR

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 08:58:34 PM »
Welcome JP! :)

Indeed, the other tool ... from Shelb ... is indeed a first class notion ... quite possibly all folks might need.

I think tho here, with Bob's idea ... he has tackled the logistics of holding the slide open during the pin removal phase .. plus of course the re-insertion, as well as having a position for the gun such that pin drift thru is easy and into a hole.  

This where many find it awkward, holding slide ''just so'', even with a chopstick in place - and . then driving out the pic..  Bob takes care of the slight variation that may be experienced where the chopstick is just too thick or thin .. and so his leverage against slide allows for that last final adjustment.

In the end tho - his idea is offered like many, ''as is'' ... another means to skin a rabbit! :D
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

BobJ

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 01:41:23 AM »
That's right, Chris- -if your method of skinning a rabbit ain't broke, don't fix it.    

The plastic insert from Shelb is a very good idea.  I would like to have one.  I do have a chopstick.  

The board concept is just something I thought of, experimented with, and was happy with the results - - even though it could benefit from some improvement.  As mentioned in the write up, I wondered how many would want to go to the trouble of making one.  

There are two main advantages I see for the board.
1.  With the lever, it is easy to manipulate the slide.  I can make small movements easily, to align the pin holes for either take down or assembly.
2.  For someone who might not have the strength and dexterity to manipulate the slide, and get the alignment right, it is much easier with the board.   [? 2 = 1 from different view point?]  

Sideline thought that probably should go somewhere else:
I thought I would never find a gun with enough power, and quality, and small size to be suitable for me to use for regular carry.  I just didn't want to carry any thing the size of  my HK USP Compact;  even a Kahr PM9 seems too much.  And, in central Texas, it is regularly hot and humid, making a coat, vest, etc very uncomfortable.  The R9 makes my day.  

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 07:01:26 PM »
For some, the *Take- Down Board* will be the way to go.  It is well thought out, and will greatly assist some folks.  

I admire a *thinkin' man*..
RJ=

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 05:02:38 PM »
Looks like a good design..

Too bad I am fairly inept at building things.. ::)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Incursion

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 07:48:34 PM »
I just stick an empty .22LR cartridge in the chamber and use a punch.  The .22LR holds the slide back by the perfect amount for the pin to align with the hole.