Author Topic: Has anyone noticed this about their rear sight?  (Read 3588 times)

Offline justin2992

• Expert
Has anyone noticed this about their rear sight?
« on: October 19, 2004, 08:19:42 PM »
Has anyone noticed the rear sight groove not looking centered on the top of the slide, i.e., one of the peaks is thicker than the other? This is one of the new R9s slides marked "R9".  My old slide looked perfectly centered.
http://tinypic.com/dbssp
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 09:44:56 PM by justin2992 »
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
Re: Has anyone noticed this about their rear sight
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 12:31:10 AM »
Boy, that sure looks like someone sneezed when the machine was cutting the rear sights out. Mine's an "old" slide, and it's centered.

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 04:31:49 PM »
Boy, you just ruined my day! What do I make of this?

I still love my little jewel! Incredible that they could do
it at all, let alone for under a grand.

I'm off to the range this afternoon. I'm the boss so what
am I gonna do, fire myself? I'd like to see that conversation!

"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 05:10:26 PM »
I don't know what to make of it. I'm not sure if the sight channel is still centered relative to the slide or not.  I haven't done any real target shooting to know if it throws off the point of impact.
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 12:51:18 AM »
Only very very slight difference, but didn't notice until you mentioned it.  I guess if I looked at it long enough I could find more small quirks.  Yours seems to be more pronounced though.  Mine seems to be dead on with respect to to the sights....could just be me becoming more practiced, but I think I am shooting better with my new one.

what happened to your old slide?

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 01:48:39 AM »
The original slide was out of spec and I was having FTF and FTE stoppages on every magazine, pretty much like Incursion.  All is well with this one concerning reliability.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 04:07:56 PM »
Interesting Justin .......I have looked at my new one - absolutely dead center symmetrical.  Then went to safe to check my #1 R9s ....... and hey - slight off center.  Haven't mic'd it but only a few thou really... just perceptible.

In fact that discrepancy would in theory on mine be same as shifting a rear sight to right a bit - but despite that I almost always shoot a bit left.  Could well be that incongruity is doing me a favor!

Not fussed about it - not a problem when things get ''up close and personal''! :)  Glad your slide issue is resolved.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Jim

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 05:23:22 PM »
I just now picked up my new R9 and the dealer miked it and sure enough, the right side of the site channel was 5000's thicker than the left.  Not near as noticable as Justin's, but still a bit off.  I'm not bothered by this as a target pistol it isn't!!!  A 12 ft. defensive weapon it is!!!  Jim
Glock 23, previous R9S owner sold due to health problems.  Just enjoy the folks on this forum!!

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 02:08:42 PM »
Justin is going to get a new slide out of the deal to make it right -- his was apparently an anomally.

I also hear Justin is getting married this weekend.  Congrats!

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 02:19:43 PM »
[size=13] Justin is getting married this weekend.  Congrats![/size]

[size=18]WOT??!![/size]  ;D

Hope your wife to be is 2A Justin .... and trust you'll not be too distracted (  ;) ;) ) from visiting here as usual!  :D

Seriously dude .. many congrats .... Best wishes to you both. :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 02:20:25 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 09:42:24 PM »
Well, if it's an anomaly, it's a common one.  I picked up my R9s today, and both it and another I looked over at the dealer had the rear sight slightly off, just like in the picture above.  I sincerely doubt it will matter - if it still shoots close enough to point of aim I won't make a fuss, but if it makes it way off...
--Frank C. (FJC)