Author Topic: Does anyone carry in a rear pocket holster?  (Read 7311 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Does anyone carry in a rear pocket holster?
« on: November 28, 2016, 09:50:31 AM »
Originally my plan was to pocket carry a Rohrbaugh R9 for my primary and pocket carry another R9 (probably in the back pocket) for a backup.

But I didn't have the cash to swing it.

I just picked up an RM380 which is probably as close as I'm going to be able to get to having an identical gun to my R9 as a backup.

So now I'm starting to think about how to carry it.

I don't know if it's best to put it in the back pocket or.. .

I normally carry my R9 in my front right pocket, mi phone in the left pocket but I guess I could start using a phone holster.

I absolutely can NEVER have my guns show - at all - EVER - period.

I don't carry IWB but I have had my shirt come untucked on occasion and it's a no-go for carry.  Likewise, my gun absolutely cannot be visible even to someone in the next stall when I'm using the restroom.

It seems to me that pocket carry us the best option, but I'm open to suggestions.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Re: Does anyone carry in a rear pocket holster?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 10:33:57 AM »
Here in Florida, I wear my shirts all the time untucked and I have found that an OWB holster is the most comfortable and the easiest when it comes to accessibility. I don't know where you live, but it is going to be a bit cool here today @ 86. I love saying that.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 10:46:14 AM »
I should also have said that I have to wear a business suit / business attire.  That's one of the reasons I purchases a Rohrbaugh R9 in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 11:55:18 AM »

For absolute concealment I like pocket carry, or something even deeper--like a belly band or Thunderwear type holster. 

I don't like back pocket carry because I don't want to sit on the gun, and it loses some of the advantages of front pocket carry--fantastic security/retention, and discrete ready position.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 12:50:26 PM »
You could also consider an ankle holster or a tee shirt holster like the 5.11 Tactical.  With the 5.11 tee, you can leave a button undone hidden by your necktie, and it almost acts like a shoulder holster. It's a compromise, but it deeply conceals a gun at work.  For me, holster on left ankle with gun on the right works well in the car.  In a sketchy neighborhood, I pull my pant leg up so the gun is easily accessible.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 01:00:08 PM »
I picked up a SAR B6P for the car, it rides in a Gum Creek vehicle holster that sits just to the right of my right knee.  I have a 19 round Mec-Gar magazine in it with one in the chamber.

I have practiced quite a bit drawing, thumbing the safety and turning in the driver's seat.  It was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be, I can't tell you how many times I whacked the steering wheel with the muzzle or failed to get the safety off.  I have it down now though and I practice with Snap Caps for about 30 minutes and least once every 2 weeks.

I guess left pocket carry is no good?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 01:50:36 PM »
I tried outside the waist in a cross draw holster a few times while driving and the gun was readily accessible; but, you would have to conceal it somehow once you exited the vehicle.

Offline MICHPATRIOT

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 02:49:30 PM »
In dress pants that show a pocket bulge more than casual I opt for the smart carry that is worn under the pants it absolutely disappears and has an additional small pocket that will hold a small light or mag. The down side is draw speed, but with practice can be drawn reasonably fast and if you were to have your hand partially inside the front of the waistband in prep for a draw it can remain somewhat covert until the motion is finished, similar to hand on weapon in the pocket at the ready albeit a little odd to have your hand in the waistband but with a dress shirt the motion could be made to look like you are tucking in the front of your shirt if the draw is not completed..if you follow. 

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 08:49:24 PM »
When I was traveling overseas I bought a number of Propper shirts.  They were a knock off of the 511 gear that fit me better.  Since 511 dropped that style they are about the only game in town for hidden pocket shirts.

This type of shirt.
http://tacticalgear.com/propper-lightweight-short-sleeve-tactical-shirt-coyote-tan

What I liked was the zippered hidden large pockets in the front.  They held plane tickets, itinerary, passport, extra cash, etc. all secure and where pickpockets would have a hard time getting to it.  When I got back home, I found they work great for holding a small pistol.  I have carried my R9 that way. 

The zippered front make for easy access if you want to wear a shoulder holster.  (The front buttons are fake, there is a long zipper behind all but one of them) I tried a Kangaroo holster, but did not like it, but the shirt did it's part.

Some will complain about safety as they always do with shoulder holsters, and would probably have a fit about a lose handgun in your pocket.  But it has been a choice I have made in the past.  With the zipper being on the side, and the pocket behind the normal shirt pocket you can position the handgun so that it is easy to open up and get a good grip before exposing it.  You could put it in a small holster if you like, but that might add too much bulk.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 04:08:22 PM »
I favor front pocket carry using my R9 or, occasionally, a Seecamp and using a DeDantis Superfly holster.  In loose pants I add the flap to fill the pocket and stabilize the pistol (also takes out the "printing".  The draw is the fastest there is since your hand, if you are alert, is already on the weapon.  That holster is sticky and has never come out with the pistol during a draw.  When I'm in the car, the pistol resides in the side pocket (although I usually have a larger pistol with greater capacity in an unzipped leather case by my right thigh while traveling).  Works for me.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 06:07:29 PM »
I carry most of the time in my rear pocket, there are some drawbacks though. After time the leather flap that make the holster look like a wallet shows the shape of the gun and has to be replaced. Next not all pockets are created equal, sometime you can see the top of the gun if the pocket is shallow, or is the pocket is "tight" it is hard to get the gun out. I am lucky a I wear jeans most of the time to work, but when I have to wear 'dress' pants I have to choose what to carry that will not show. I work with many people that are LEO or Military and can spot a weapon so I am overly cautious.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Does anyone carry in a rear pocket holster?
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 06:54:19 PM »
I put my R9 in a DeSantis Nemesis and put it in my jeans back pocket, just looking in the mirror I can see the back of the slide - not sticking out above the pocket, but I can see down into the pocket and see the back of the gun. Maybe I need a different holster or something

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 07:11:26 PM »
I have done pocket carry with my Security Industries, like a S&W 60, but was too tall in my pocket. I took 3-4 pair of pants to a alteration shop and they put a 3-4 " extension on my right front pockets. It was like $6-$8 each and would be perfect for your situation. Look into it.

kevinqjhps
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 12:15:57 PM »

For absolute concealment I like pocket carry, or something even deeper--like a belly band or Thunderwear type holster. 

I don't like back pocket carry because I don't want to sit on the gun, and it loses some of the advantages of front pocket carry--fantastic security/retention, and discrete ready position.

I agree with Duane.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 04:01:50 PM »
One in ihefront pocket and one in a ankle holster. With two in pockets you are screwed if sitting down. With a ankle holster you can draw from sitting, laying on the ground, or even bending over to pull your pants leg up. Try a Blackhawk #1. It is a PERFECT fit for the R9 or .380.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one