Author Topic: Factory Aluminum Grips  (Read 5598 times)

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
Factory Aluminum Grips
« on: April 27, 2017, 06:58:15 PM »
I just found these factory aluminum thin grips.  Does anyone have any experience with them? 

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Re: Factory Aluminum Grips
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 07:29:00 PM »
Yes, they look great but due to the metal on metal (Aluminum grips on an aluminum frame) they loosen up halfway through one magazine. That is why we decided not to offer those after a short period. They do look nice as a BBQ Gun addition however. Unless one of you guys using those little rubber O-ring setups. . . . . those may work. We never tried that. We just used the Loctite medium grade on the screws, allowed them to dry overnight and still. . . . loose grip panels after not even one magazine. Sad that happened. We have a bunch of those lying around somewhere. Might just scrap those as "unsafe". I think my brother Karl has those in his stash. . . . not sure anymore where they are today. Anyway, that's the story on those grip sets.

Regards,

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 07:54:37 PM »
Has anyone tried making a gasket out of a thin piece of rubber inner tube between the grip and frame? 

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 08:42:15 PM »
Has anyone tried making a gasket out of a thin piece of rubber inner tube between the grip and frame?

Inner tube material would be way to thick in my opinion.

I think that paper gasket material might work.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 09:56:17 PM »
How about something thinner like a single layer of a latex balloon? 

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 09:58:42 PM »
I was also thinking about a single dab of clear silicone bathroom caulk.

Offline Brian

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 05:13:55 PM »
Eric,

I'm always looking for original grips to use to make molds from.  I can then make my Carbon Fiber grips from those molds.  If you happen to have a set of these or any others you can part with, I'd like to hear from you.  My email is BRIAN@DESIGNERGRIPS.COM or you can give me a call at 404-863-7640.

Thanks
Brian

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 05:36:00 PM »
Does the molding process damage the grips?  You can borrow mine if it doesn't.  Phil

Offline Brian

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 04:54:30 PM »
I appreciate the offer Phil but I'll pass on it at this time.  The molding process does not do any damage to the grips but I like to be able to keep the original grips because the molds wear out over time and use.  I have 2 different styles right now and am always looking to get more.   Below are the styles I currently have molds for. 

Thanks again for the very kind offer,
Brian@DesignerGrips.com

I currently have the original flat style available as well as the ones shown in the photo which have a slight dome to them and fill the hand better.

PS.  I just made up a new batch of DRT's (Disassembly / Reassembly Tools)

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 07:58:55 PM »
Eric,

I'm always looking for original grips to use to make molds from.  I can then make my Carbon Fiber grips from those molds.  If you happen to have a set of these or any others you can part with, I'd like to hear from you.  My email is BRIAN@DESIGNERGRIPS.COM or you can give me a call at 404-863-7640.

Thanks
Brian

Hello Brian,

Not ignoring you, just busy this weekend. I'll give you a buzz this week and we can talk.

Happy Father's Day.

Regards,

Eric
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.