Author Topic: Grip question  (Read 9378 times)

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Re: Grip question
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 02:13:43 PM »
Were the blue/black carbon fiber type grips standard on models or just sold as an accessory? I bought a R9 yesterday that comes with the normal factory grips and also the blue/black. Anyone know? 

Thanks,
kevuinqjhps

You guys were busy here while I was riding my BMW upstate! Geez . . . . anyway. . . . Kevin: The original style Blue/Black CF grips were on the very early R9 pistols. Then we went to G10 from a local CNC guy and then the Hogue's. The newer style VZ Blue/Black grips were originally only for the Tribute models, but the Remington came into the mix and all bets were off at that point.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 02:17:07 PM »
The gun Kevin bought on GB had VZ black/blue grips like were used on the Tributes.

They are not the regular CF grips that the original R9's had.

Before the Remington sale, VZ had a whole range of aftermarket grips for the R9 on their website.  They had solid or checkered milled in.  Different laminate materials were available like micarta and carbon fiber.  The colors included blue, black, grey, red, pink, white/black, green and brown.  If you go to the VZ website and look at the 1911 grips you'll get an idea of the range of options.  As far as factory VZ, the Tribute had the blue/black as mentioned above.  The Custom had black VZ.  The coyote brown had brown VZ.  I'm not sure if you custom ordered the VZ from Rohrbaugh if you also got the G10.  Eric?  I would assume if the gun came with both, it probably came from the factory with G10 and he got VZ as aftermarket.

The guns never came with two sets of grips, unless. . . . the client ordered his R9 that way from the factory. We had a number of people who did just that! They would order optional grips, I would build the gun using those, but I would also include the stock gripset with the purchase. The rest of the information here is correct.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 02:18:45 PM »
The gun Kevin bought on GB had VZ black/blue grips like were used on the Tributes.

They are not the regular CF grips that the original R9's had.

How could Tribute grips end up on a basic two tone?

Near the end, we sold whatever we had available to make our clients happy. Selling the VZ Blue/Black CF grips was one of those things we did sell to "regular customers" at the end of our run.

ecr

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 03:17:40 PM »
Were the blue/black carbon fiber type grips standard on models or just sold as an accessory? I bought a R9 yesterday that comes with the normal factory grips and also the blue/black. Anyone know? 

Thanks,
kevuinqjhps

You guys were busy here while I was riding my BMW upstate! Geez . . . . anyway. . . . Kevin: The original style Blue/Black CF grips were on the very early R9 pistols. Then we went to G10 from a local CNC guy and then the Hogue's. The newer style VZ Blue/Black grips were originally only for the Tribute models, but the Remington came into the mix and all bets were off at that point.

That is what I thought.  I liked the looks and tried to buy a set from VZ and they told me those were only sold to the Rohrbaugh Company.

Later I was told they sold out what was left on their sale page and I missed them.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 04:26:55 PM »

Thanks,
kevuinqjhps

Hi Eric,

Hope you had a good ride.......then again I don't think I EVER hd a bad one. The R9 I bought, but won't get to my FFL till Tue/Wed. have the blue/blacks and a very low three digit R number so this must be one of those. 

So much info we learn every day. If I sent you a mini recorder think you could just note details like these so we can keep the info going?

Just a thought.:):):):):):):):):):)
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2017, 05:18:46 PM »

Thanks,
kevuinqjhps

Hi Eric,

Hope you had a good ride.......then again I don't think I EVER hd a bad one. The R9 I bought, but won't get to my FFL till Tue/Wed. have the blue/blacks and a very low three digit R number so this must be one of those. 

So much info we learn every day. If I sent you a mini recorder think you could just note details like these so we can keep the info going?

A low three digit is probably from around 2005.  If VZ first made their blue grips for the Tribute, a 2005 wouldn't have factory installed blue VZ grips with the standard set also included.  It must be aftermarket VZ.  Low three digit should have factory carbon fiber. 

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2017, 08:20:46 PM »

Thanks,
kevuinqjhps

Hi Eric,

A low three digit is probably from around 2005.  If VZ first made their blue grips for the Tribute, a 2005 wouldn't have factory installed blue VZ grips with the standard set also included.  It must be aftermarket VZ.  Low three digit should have factory carbon fiber.

Well it is a G-broker gun so God only knows the history of it and how it got what it has.

kevinqjhps
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2017, 07:21:52 PM »

Thanks,
kevuinqjhps

Hi Eric,

Frankly, and with respect Kevin, that would be too much of a burden on me as I have many other projects going on and I need my mind clear for my artist license, if you will. Best is that I stay active here and answer those sort of things as we go along and the question pops up. I think most folks here enjoy the interaction with this crazy guy anyway.  Ha haa . . . . .

Photographs of your new to you R9 when she shows up please..........

ECR