Author Topic: WTB Automatic knives  (Read 5827 times)

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
WTB Automatic knives
« on: November 03, 2017, 07:34:24 PM »
Auto opening knives are now legal in Michigan, so I'm looking for a Zero Tolerance 0650st or 610st. 

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
Re: WTB Automatic knives
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 11:25:01 AM »
There have been legal here in Indiana for quite some time. I have tried 10-12 and no matter the price they have one thing in common: ALL ARE JUNK.

If you want a toy, fine, but NEVER carry one for defense.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 09:25:35 PM »
I have some Microtechs and Protechs which seem to be of very high quality. Also. I own a ZT 0770CF which is manual assist but of extremely high quality with an Elmax steel blade.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 09:33:40 PM by tracker »

Online cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 10:37:56 PM »
I have a MicroTech. It is the furthest thing from "junk". It is extremely well built & I highly recommend it.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 08:48:08 AM »
Don't laugh but I carry and have had the same Gerber auto knife since 2008. I was issued this knife to take to Iraq, I also took it to Afghanistan with me as I needed a knife that would open with gloves (I was issued a second one but gave it to someone who did not have one).  This a heavy knife, tanto tip with serrations, and an glass breaker. This is a tough knife, kinda big, but tough, I know because it stopped/deflected a 9mm round and keeps on ticking. (thankfully I was not holding or wearing the knife when it stopped the round) Good luck on your search, oh and I have a Zero tolerance also as a back up but always carry the Gerber.

Like this one;
https://www.universalmania.com/products/06-tanto-automatic?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhYTbiMin1wIVRZV-Ch3L6gc1EAYYASABEgKMyPD_BwE
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 08:51:52 AM by dddonkey »

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 03:28:42 PM »
Look into A.G. Russell stainless one hand opening knife. It is opened with a small stud. It is as fast as a auto but built like a tank. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. I have used one for over 30 years. Takes and holds a edge with ease.

USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 06:37:12 PM »
FWIW, that A.G. Russell knife is now made in China. It was made in the U.S. 30 years ago.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 07:51:59 PM »
It seems like the ZT autos are no longer made and were $90-120 used a few years ago.  Now sellers are asking $450-700.  I might get the Benchmade Auto Triage.

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 08:05:26 PM »
Phil, Benchmade knives are good to go.  I've had two now, both have served me well. 

The female in my life has a few blue label ones.  She takes them out of the safe on occasion to look at them, then puts them back, LOL.

I know a some LEOs that carry them daily, and have for years.

Anyone who thinks that Microtechs and Protechs are junk doesn't know anything about those knives.  They are all top shelf.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 11:32:17 AM »
Phil, Benchmade knives are good to go.  I've had two now, both have served me well. 

The female in my life has a few blue label ones.  She takes them out of the safe on occasion to look at them, then puts them back, LOL.

I know a some LEOs that carry them daily, and have for years.

Anyone who thinks that Microtechs and Protechs are junk doesn't know anything about those knives.  They are all top shelf.

The Russell One Hand Opening Knife has TWO PARTS!!!!!!!!! The frame is SOLID stainless 1/4" thick. The blade tapers just enough to clear the cutout. The blade locks like it is welded on. With only TWO PARTS and a solid lock up it defines the K.I.S.S principal.

Most LEO's carry what is issued, or what they get a discount on, NOT what is the best tool for the job. 
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 11:52:23 AM »
Kevin, LEO down here are not issued knives, they buy their own.  Benchmade is the choice many of them make from my experience.  I am sure it is a compromise (like a lot of things in life) between quality and cost.

I am glad you like your Russell. I appreciate the feeling of confidence one has in a special tool that they can depend on.  However each of us has our own needs and wants that lead us down many paths for the personal equipment we rely on.  The OP opened a discussion on automatic knives, not non-assisted folding blade designs, that is what I am trying to address.  I think we all got that you don't like them.

Also explain that two part thing you focused on.  I can't understand how a folding knife only has two parts.  I get blade, handle (or 2 scales). But most I am familiar with also has some sort of pin that the blade rotates on, sometimes a bearing in it also.  Also I see a form of locking mechanism that has a spring and a pivot pin.  Now I am familiar with those folders that use a liner lock, but those are held together with a pin or two. Can't see how just two total parts would work.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 11:56:40 AM by MikeInTexas »

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 12:39:30 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  The knife I'm looking for won't be used in a war zone or used to cut the door hinges off a crashed helicopter.  I am just a ZT fan who is interested in an Auto knife now that they're legal in Michigan.  I already have fixed blades and folders and want to add an auto to the mix.   I wasn't really that aware of Benchmade, so thanks for the lead on them.  Anything with a 1/4 inch blade sounds too heavy for me for everyday carry.  Thanks again for the input.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 02:16:04 PM »
If you can't find one of the discontinued ZTs I highly recommend Protech as an alternative auto opener.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 12:27:25 PM »
I am also from Michigan,and feel the need to buy an auto knife since I'm now "allowed" to by the state!
I've owned different kershaws,ZTs and found them to be plenty quick with they're spring assist.
But I still want an auto!
Benchmade,microtech are top line and also fairly top price I believe ;)
I'm leaning toward the Kershaws launch line. They are around the hundred dollar line and look to get good reviews!
And one of my qualifications in purchasing,they are USA made! 8)
Good luck in finding what your looking for and have fun with it. Please let us know what you end up with,thank you...
B
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 04:27:33 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  The knife I'm looking for won't be used in a war zone or used to cut the door hinges off a crashed helicopter.  I am just a ZT fan who is interested in an Auto knife now that they're legal in Michigan.  I already have fixed blades and folders and want to add an auto to the mix.   I wasn't really that aware of Benchmade, so thanks for the lead on them.  Anything with a 1/4 inch blade sounds too heavy for me for everyday carry.  Thanks again for the input.

On my digital scale the Russell is 2.40 ounces. Two of my spring assist's came in at 3.48 and 4.68 ounces.

Also instead of 1/4 thick they were both just a fraction short of 1 inch each.

So much for size and weight.  ::) ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 04:34:45 PM by kevinqjhps »
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident