Author Topic: First day R9s stealth - report card  (Read 9308 times)

Offline accur8shot

First day R9s stealth - report card
« on: August 29, 2009, 02:16:51 PM »
I took my new R9s stealth to the range today.  First of all, thanks to Tom for helping me acquire it.  I fired 50 rounds of Winchester Silvertip 115gr and 15 rounds Speer Gold-dot 115gr.

No FTFs, no FTEs at all.  All rounds went through the pipe like they should.  It should be noted that in preparation for the range I lightly oiled the firearm inside and out (I am always surprised to hear how many people fire their new weapons right out of the box without doing this).

First 2 magazines - target 21 feet, two handed grip: all but 1 round in 9 inches. That 1 round was the first one, because I had completely miscalculated the trigger pull. LESSON HERE - patience is a virtue on the trigger pull.  smooth but long.  Also, KEEP A FIRM GRIP.  This little monster wants to jump out of your hand, but the recoil is no worse than a Kel-tec P3AT.  Incidentally, the first time I took a Kel-tec P3AT to the range, it went 'click and no bang' on 5 rounds out of 50.  I gave it back to the owner and told him 'not what I'd choose if my life depended on it'.

Second 2 magazines - target 21 feet, one handed grip: 4 rounds in 9 inch circle, all other rounds still on body.  Not nearly as hard to shoot one handed as I expected, but - again - keep a firm grip.

I was afraid to shoot lefty with a one hand grip, because I know I'd lose the weapon.  

SUMMARY:  

LIKES: superb accuracy (for its size), manageable recoil for a pocket gun, excellent workmanship and - so far - reliability.  

DISLIKES: mag release - I still struggle with this, and I can see that there's no way I could change a mag at combat speed.  I'd also like to see 'stickier' grips.

For me personally, I will fire 1 or 2 magazines through the R9s each time I go to the range with my other pistols.  With other compact or full sized guns, I am extremely accurate... this one is going to take some getting acquainted with for me to be confident.  My R9s will never be my primary carry - I can carry a CZ75 PCR in waistband with no issue.  But on those occasions where I want a BUG, or where my clothes won't allow for the CZ, or if I need to go super stealth, the R9s will be with me.  

Grade: B+
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 02:18:46 PM by accur8shot »
Walther PPS * S&W 642 * CZ75D PCR * Intratec Tec-9 * FN Herstal TPS Shotgun * FN SCAR 16S * S&W M&P15 * LWRC M6A2 * DPMS LR308 * TDI Kriss SBR * Rohrbaugh R9s Stealth * Safari Arms 1911 * Ruger MkIII

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: First day R9s stealth - report card
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 04:19:06 PM »
Excellent report.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 08:24:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the report. That is quite an
array of tactical weapons you show in your inventory.
How do you like the TDI Kriss SBR .45?

Offline accur8shot

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 10:24:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the report. That is quite an
array of tactical weapons you show in your inventory.
How do you like the TDI Kriss SBR .45?

Thanks, Tracker.  Regarding the Kriss, the whole order process was a debacle and even involved Chuck Kushell, CEO at TDI (note to anyone in South Florida: avoid Ace's Indoor Shooting when purchasing a firearm).  I ordered it in January and just picked it up on Tuesday, so I'm pretty eager to put some rounds down range but haven't yet.  I was happy to see it get the top vote on Weaponology.  
Walther PPS * S&W 642 * CZ75D PCR * Intratec Tec-9 * FN Herstal TPS Shotgun * FN SCAR 16S * S&W M&P15 * LWRC M6A2 * DPMS LR308 * TDI Kriss SBR * Rohrbaugh R9s Stealth * Safari Arms 1911 * Ruger MkIII

Online tracker

• Grand Master
is
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 10:57:17 PM »
Someone told me to be wary of any name that starts with
chief, ace, coach, or sir [viz., Allan Stanford].
It sounds like you ordered one of the first offered Kriss custom
weapons. Please keep us posted.  

Offline accur8shot

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 01:19:50 PM »
Tracker, I wouldn't disagree with that quotation after my experience with that shop.  Anyway - here's a shot of both together for comparison.  (and thanks to SIGQUICK for the CFs - they look great)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 01:22:56 PM by accur8shot »

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 02:55:09 PM »
Thanks for the great photo; an awesome pair of aces.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 06:56:25 PM »
accur8shot:

If I have not previously welcomed you to the forum, I do so now and thank you for the range report.

As for that R9/Kriss combo, I must say that you do have superb taste in personal weapons!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline accur8shot

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 08:04:40 PM »
Thank you very much, Richard - great group of people here. I'm a big fan of the evolution of firearms in general, but have an inclination toward tactical weapons.  It's very similar to computers - I think it's wild to see how more power is being packed into smaller, lighter packages as time goes on... and both the Rohrbaugh and Kriss are certainly a testament to that.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 11:45:08 AM »
accur8shot,welcome from Texas as well, enjoy both firearms. good show with the pup. Thanks for your business. Tom
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 05:20:36 PM by theirishguard »
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 04:30:12 PM »
Welcome and thanks for the photo, please do a range report on the Kriss also.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 08:15:34 PM »
Dino:

Until Accur8shot posts that range report, this link may be of interest. It's enough to help a man forget for a moment all the expense and required paperwork.   8)

http://www.kriss-tdi.com/
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 09:45:28 PM »
Remember the Judge's ruling on reloading abandonment and buying
any gun you wish.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 10:46:41 PM »
I like the idea of buying any gun you wish!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kjkcrjCvNQ

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 08:33:02 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 07:36:50 AM »
Remember the Judge's ruling on reloading abandonment and buying
any gun you wish.

Yes, and I've been attempting to balance "need" vs. "desire" ever since I first read about its development.   :-/
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"