Author Topic: Loving my new Kimber Solo... 1700 rounds and counting.  (Read 64514 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
The Solo seems to have frame inserts to take the grip screws which look to be easily replaced at the factory. 

Pictures look to me like either you have worn springs or a bad extractor or both, but I do better with hearts and lungs than with gunsmithing for sure!  Send it back for some remediation at Kimber.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master

Anything will wear out with prolonged use; on March 15 you reported "237 flawless rounds." Why keep shooting it until it fails?

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master

I'm still impressed with the little beast. 1400+ rounds and finally a hick up.

Tracker: After I get it back I will be excited to see if it is as reliable as it has been since day 1. If so I obviously won't need or want to do that again, but someone had to test the gun's limits.

Now if we can get guncats to finish his 2000 round test on his collectible R9. Just kidding.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 09:58:11 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Re: Loving my new Kimber Solo, BUT SHE WONT LOCK OPEN ANYMORE + other issues 😳
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2014, 08:53:45 AM »
I was out to the range, finally, last week testing the XR45s successfully.  Shot my XR9 for a recoil comparison and a new to me P7.

Finally I pulled the Solo out of my pocket and fired all 7 rounds of the ammo I had been carrying for about 3 months.  All on target, no problems.  Loaded back up and went home completely confident.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2014, 09:19:37 AM »
Sounds smart MRC.

This will probably be close to what I do with my small guns from here on out. I admit I was excessive. I can tend to be kind of an abusive sort, torturing my stuff. I found it somewhat enjoyable reaching the limit of the Solo and then pushing it a bit more. Well now I know.

I almost found it necessary in light of my poor success with the R9. I was so delighted to keep shooting it, racking up a perfect score with the correct ammo. I don't feel bad about it. I will be excited to find what is wrong with it. If it's only a spring and an extractor I will be happy to get it back and carry my 1400+ round Solo. I am confident the gun is structurally sound still.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2014, 09:39:18 AM »
I think it is part of human nature to push the limits on everything.

I swear that some of my friends are trying to find ammo that will not work in their carry pistols.  I ask them what they are trying to prove and they have no legitimate answer.

Good luck.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Loving my new Kimber Solo... It's going back to Yonkers NY after 1400+ rds👍
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2014, 09:57:38 AM »
I will be interested to report on Kimber's service to ya all.

FYI- 100% reliable using 124/147 grain quality ammo through 1400 rounds until it hit the wall. Very impressive for a pistol only slightly larger than the R9 IMO.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 09:46:31 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2014, 05:02:12 PM »
I heard P7 so I have to say how cool the P7M8 is

BEST PISTOL EVER  !

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2014, 05:56:03 PM »
I heard P7 so I have to say how cool the P7M8 is

BEST PISTOL EVER  !

That is what it is, P7M8.  I purchased it used from Arne Boberg.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2014, 09:15:36 PM »
Is there a practical side to the P7M8 or is it merely collectibility/investment worth?

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2014, 09:46:26 PM »

The practical side is that it is the best shooting most reliable 9mm on the planet.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2014, 09:50:25 PM »
Is there a practical side to the P7M8 or is it merely collectibility/investment worth?

I certainly did not consider the P7 as an investment when I bought it or consider it a collector's item.

Everyone I have talked to that owns one has liked them very much.  It is an intriguing design and I have always wanted one.

the "squeeze cocker" would take some getting used to if I were to carry it for protection, but really works well and safely when at the range.

I will let you know how I like it probably next spring.

tracker  -  When I picked it up I was talking to my Dealer about it and mentioned Arne said it was extremely accurate for him.  The Dealer said he had one and it was accurate, but he hated the "squeeze cocker".
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 09:53:19 PM by MRC »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2014, 10:12:11 PM »
To each his own but I squeeze every gun I shoot. The P7 is not the most beautiful or ergonomic pistol but there are some very good reasons for the increasing prices on them and it is not just because they are out of production. HK could not continue to make them because of the high production costs; they will outlast all of the CNC/MIM pieces of junk on the market today. Glock, of course, is in a class all by itself.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:18:31 PM by tracker »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2014, 07:03:13 AM »
tracker, you are probably correct about the squeeze part.  It is something you do without thinking on everything you shoot, but it is something you are very conscious of with the P7

My Dealer by the way is the most experienced and best pistol shot I know.  He builds his own target guns and was disappointed in his 10 place finish in the Master Class Bullseye Competition at Camp Perry this year.  He won it in 2006 with a score of 2629.

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #134 on: September 03, 2014, 08:19:44 PM »
1400 rounds is amazing

You must have callouses and tunnel carbil  by now. I bet 99% of Solo owners shoot 2 boxes and call it a day