Author Topic: Input on a Forum Fundraiser  (Read 4318 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Input on a Forum Fundraiser
« on: December 22, 2004, 12:03:40 PM »
Hello all,

I am violating a cardinal rule of marketing today, by trying to do some market research on an easily stolen idea...  But I am among friends, right?  ;D

I was considering a fundraiser for his forum by selling a custom-made silicone bracelet (like the "Live Strong" bracelets) with debossed letters saying "RKBA" or something similar -- probably in "tactical black."

Unfortunately, the reality is that these things can only be done cost-effectively in large quantities -- like 1,000 units.  If you order that big, you can come in a little less than $2 per unit.    I think the "retail" would have to be about $5 per unit for this to make any sense.  Obviously, however, it is hard to make your money selling one bracelet at a time by mail.  Ideally, people or organizations would buy in larger quantities to sell/distribute on their own.

I am curious as to what you all think.  I love the idea of "spreading the word" and supporting our forum too, but its a fairly big financial risk and maybe a lot of work for the "profit" to be obtained.

Alternatively, I could place a small order just for the "immediate family" here -- but would have to charge closer to $10 per unit for it to make any financial sense for the forum.

What do you all think?
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
Re: Input on a Forum Fundraiser
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 01:43:40 PM »
Duane,
      Sounds like a great idea AND a lot of work for you..
I would be up to buy something like this (especially in TB  8) )

I know that there would be interest on other boards too I would think,never know right now with Christmas here though..

A "prebuy" might be the way for this?

Anyway you look at it = a ton of time for you..

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 02:30:27 PM »
Duane, I think this forum is worth supporting, and I'm sure many others here do too. Ordering bracelets in advance sounds like about a $2,000 risk, if I understand the numbers right, so it would be fairly easy for you to personally go too deep into the hole if things don't work out right. Hey, that's about 2 Rohrbaughs and some ammo.

How does this sound? Give the 200+ members of this forum a chance to pre-order spiffy tac-black Right to Bear Arms bracelets at a certain price with the understanding that if there is not enough interest here to make a profit to help fund the forum, the checks will be destroyed, not cashed (or members could send their check in with a SASE if the member wanted the check returned in case it's a no-go, or specify that it's a good-will donation even if the project doesn't fly.)  That would gague the interest level for the bracelets on this list without a lot of risk for anyone involved, and if it is successful here, extra bracelets could be ordered and peddled to other lists.     :P

Offline JP

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 05:48:13 PM »
Duane,
I'm sure there are others like me that are not aware what it takes to run a fine forum such as this. If you can come up with some kind of fund raiser and explain what we need to accomplish in the way of $'s needed, I would certainly be willing to participate. A wrist band or something similar might be worthwhile because in addition to generating some revenue it also gets the word out to those that are curious enough to ask where it came from.
NRA Patron
SAFR

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 08:53:36 PM »
Why don't you tell us what your monthly nut is to operate the forum. Then you could display what the "check book" balance is at the start of the month, what receipts you get in during the month, subtract the expenses for the month and show the month-end balance.

I know I'd contribute more if I understood the need better.
Welcome home

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 09:00:55 PM »
PS

I've seen a "donate" icon in the area where "search", "members" is on other forums. When you click on it you go to a page that has donation info, such as where to send money. That makes it easy to figure out how to donate.

I'm not a bracelet fan. I'd prefer to simply donate.

Welcome home

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 10:08:28 PM »
I should have made this clearer... I am not crying for more donations.  You guys have been very generous and the forum is doing fine.  That being said, its always nice to have a regular stream of income like advertising and such so I don't have to hit you guys up in the future...

The "awareness bracelet" idea is more interesting to me because it helps "the cause" and may actually allow us to have a national impact -- something that could unify us a bit.  In other words, I like the idea -- the fundraising aspect would just be a side benefit.

Ultimately, I think its probably too much work in my already over-busy life...  Anyone want to steal the idea?   ;D

Today I did find a place that would do them in very small quantities -- but at about $3.50 each.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
Re:Forum Fundraiser - How about this?
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 12:12:17 AM »
Duane - I like the way your mind works! Check out this site: http://davrow.us/index.htm. It looks like someone has a similar idea already up and running. I'm always up for a creative idea, especially to help out a cause like the 2nd.

For a future fund raiser specifically for the forum (if needed - and who could turn down the opportunity for more funds?) would there be any chance to get Eric to sell an R9 to the forum at cost and then sell raffle tickets at say $25 each, 5 for $100, for a chance to win the gun? Even at retail, the break even point would only be 40 tickets. I'm sure there are many, many shooters that would jump at chance to get this gun for only $25 - I know I would. You could even have a set number of tickets available, say 200 - so when that many are sold you know that one ticket gives you a 1/200 chance of winning.
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 12:46:46 AM »
Cool.  I though about "awareness ribbons" like that too -- but thought that most people put them on cars, and I personally don't want to tip anyone off that there might be a gun in my car...

Nonetheless, they are nice magnetic stickers and I just ordered one for me and one for my Dad.

I have searched the net high and low though, and can't find RKBA awareness bracelets.
Duane (DDGator)

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Input on a Forum Fundraiser
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2004, 12:48:06 AM »
>>OK...I'm with Stupid.  What does the "k" stand for in RKBA...?  I like the idea of the bracelet, and I'm not a bracelet guy either...but might be encouraged to.  Regardless - I would buy at least one, maybe more, without question...!...especially if Black.

Regarding the gun raffle idea - definately need to have open number of tickets for sale.  Because at 5 for $25 I'll take at least 10...maybe as many as 20 tickets.  Maybe more...?...TW<<

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2004, 12:58:09 AM »
RKBA is fairly standard shorthand for the "Right to Keep and Bear Arms."

Lotteries like you guys are suggesting can be legally problematic.  In Florida you can't do one unless you are a registered 401(c)(3) non-profit organization.  Even then, you can't require a "donation" for a ticket -- you can only have a suggested donation and if people ask you have to give them a ticket for free.  I went through a huge problem with this for the American Cancer Society when they lost their butts on a Hardley Davidson raffle.  Unfortunately, I don't see a raffle like that happening.  Sorry!   :'(
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 12:58:41 AM by admin »
Duane (DDGator)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2004, 07:14:14 PM »
Didn't post earlier - not really a lot to say usefully.

I will tho just say that - I think Duane any venture such as you propose, could just be way too much extra work for you, plus risk etc.  The idea is fine .. laudable even.

OTOH - as far as ''forum health'' goes - on that score I reckon we are easily a big enough team to take care of ''running'' funds and so keeping that separate - it is well manageable.

Like Dick - I am not really a bracelet fan either so - not sure you'd sell enough overall.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2004, 09:37:19 PM »
I generally don't wear bracelets (haven't since the ID bracelets I used to wear in primary school) and generally don't wear gun-related clothing to avoid clueing someone in to the fact that I am armed.

An RKBA bracelet might not be a bad way to violate my usual rule as I could be selective about when I wore it.  However, if it were in black, it would have to be a finish that wouldn't chip off like paint will, or I wouldn't be likely to wear it.  That would increase the cost, and would make me and probably others think more carefully before buying one.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2004, 09:59:27 PM »
Chris -- I agree with you, its probably too much work.  I wish somebody would do it though...

I am not a bracelet fan either, but I would make an exception here.  The beauty of an RKBA bracelet is that it is subtle -- it could be a conversation starter or not -- your choice.

These bracelets are like the "Live Strong" type -- silicone -- it will never wear or chip.  Nor is it much of an investment -- $5 max.

Again -- its more the idea of spreading the word that I like -- the fundraising aspect isn't necessary -- just a by-product.   Maybe I should post the idea elsewhere and hope somebody will steal it!   ;D  At least we here will know the truth of where it came from!
Duane (DDGator)