Author Topic: Test for a Father-in-Law  (Read 18338 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Test for a Father-in-Law
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
Richard.  I sure hope Herself approves!    ;D    
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 12:50:10 PM »
Richard, I sure hope your tongue is Ok after bitting it that hard?! And any time is a good time to have 2-3 fingers of the angel's spirit.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 05:00:25 AM »
Maybe the CCW instructor will explain it to her. My guess, though, is that many people show up with guns which are a poor choice for CCW. People get what they can afford, or what makes them comfortable, or both.

Is she under some threat? If not, just let her carry it in her purse or something. Maybe get her one of those tactical purses, it will fit in that. Honestly, i don't see the big deal.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 08:09:39 PM »
J - it's not all about size or a threat.  

The so called gun is a Hi-Point.  Sugg. Retail of $135, usually sell for around $119; and used for $75-80.

Would you feel comfortable with your daughter driving from NY to LA in a 20 yr old Yugo ?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 08:22:55 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 10:59:04 AM »
J - it's not all about size or a threat.  

The so called gun is a Hi-Point.  Sugg. Retail of $135, usually sell for around $119; and used for $75-80.

Would you feel comfortable with your daughter driving from NY to LA in a 20 yr old Yugo ?

I'm not an expert on Hi-Points, but my friends tell me they work reliably. It may not be fancy, or expensive, but if it works and she can shoot it and she can afford it, well God bless.

I have noticed most people, including myself, on this board are a little older. Young people starting out can't typically drop $1,000ish on a firearm. That's probably why those of us who do have been around a little while. My Daughter is still 16, but she takes great pride in making her own decisions and funding them. Makes me proud too.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 05:29:52 PM »
J- I know what you mean.  ;)

In fact there was a write up I believe in American Handgunner about a year and half ago on the the Hi- Point.  I think it was the 9mm.   And surprisingly it had very good marks.

But  for me personally, I just could not trust my life or my family member's life to one.  It's just too hard for me to wrap my brain around. :D

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 07:01:12 PM »
Although it is only a .380, it weighs in right at two pounds loaded. Also, beauty being in the eye of the beholder, the item under discussion can be seen and evaluated at this link:

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handguns/380acp/hi_point_380acp.html

I am not on this forum to disparage another manufacturer's product, but I do have a plan that will take my step-daughter's self-defense weaponry to another level with no embarrassment to her husband.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 07:09:20 PM »
I do have a plan that will take my step-daughter's self-defense weaponry to another level with no embarrassment to her husband.

Richard, you being the gentleman that you are, I am positive that it will be a seamless engagement that will go off without a hitch, and no one will be the wiser.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 07:57:34 PM »

If I didn't know better it almost sounds like you would be willing to take the hi-point in on a trade........naah, couldn't happen.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 09:25:56 PM »
Or maybe offer to clean and inspect it for him.  And then accidentally lose an important part, thus having to give him one of his guns for replacement while awaiting the broken part that is forever on backorder.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 06:33:44 PM »
Or maybe offer to clean and inspect it for him.  And then accidentally lose an important part, thus having to give him one of his guns for replacement while awaiting the broken part that is forever on backorder.

Reinz:

That just became "Plan B," to be implemented if "Plan A" comes to grief. 
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2011, 11:59:58 AM »
Richard, I feel confident that your plan A is a much better one than plan B.  And as previously mentioned, I bet it is seamless.

Will love to hear how it all turns out.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 10:59:43 AM »
My preference, of course, would be to give my stepdaughter a Rohrbaugh, but given my instructions as laid down by her mother I am limited to $500 +/- for any pistol I give to her and am to avoid causing any embarrassment to her husband. Therefore, I'm working with my local FFL to implement "Plan A," which would provide them each with a "gently-used" Glock -- a Glock 26 (9x19 Subcompact) for her and a Glock 30 (.45 ACP Subcompact) for him. I'm thinking that should alleviate my concern while pleasing them both and doing no damage to his pride.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 11:24:19 AM »
Richard with Christmas on the way it could just br one of there stocking stuffers. ;D 

You can buy a new G-26 for $500 with free shipping off GunBroker.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=262852801

And a new G-30 for $549 with free shipping
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=263866592
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 05:14:57 PM »
Thank you, John. We're on the case.   8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"