Author Topic: R9S Stealth Range Report - 130 Round day  (Read 14129 times)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: R9S Stealth Range Report - 130 Round day
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 12:08:11 PM »
Toad - given your posts, I'm certain that you are a "Shooter" for sure and that you take it seriously.  And having a very broad idea of your vocation, I am very glad that you do take your shooting seriously.  8)
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 04:58:11 PM »
In a recent issue of American Handgunner magazine, Roy Huntington reported on a word that his wife had coined to describe a Shooter. The word is "Gunist."

I like it.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_1_37/ai_n58471500/

Reinz and AT, you both undoubtedly qualify as Shooters and Gunists.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 06:57:15 PM »
Richard, I read that article just the other day.  About how it would be difficult for a non-gunist to run a gun business.  Good stuff.
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 07:54:07 PM »

It seems that we have more than just a few gunistical pup owners on the forum.

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 10:28:10 PM »
...a word that his wife had coined to describe a Shooter. The word is "Gunist."

See now... I would have gone with, "Shootist."

-But there are only about a million reasons, some personal and some otherwise.  8)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 11:14:58 PM »

"Shooter" works for me. That also happens to be the moniker of the catapult and arresting gear officer on an aircraft carrier--a very demanding, difficult, and challenging position.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »

"Shooter" works for me. That also happens to be the moniker of the catapult and arresting gear officer on an aircraft carrier--a very demanding, difficult, and challenging position.

I can only imagine what it must be to experience a catapult launch from 0 to 165 mph in 2 seconds!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 03:08:56 PM »

The high "g" force and acceleration during a catapult stroke is most welcome, especially on a black night.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2011, 11:46:26 AM »
In a recent issue of American Handgunner magazine, Roy Huntington reported on a word that his wife had coined to describe a Shooter. The word is "Gunist."

I like it.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_1_37/ai_n58471500/

Reinz and AT, you both undoubtedly qualify as Shooters and Gunists.

I am behind in my reading.  I have the latest Ameriacan HG and a few others stacked up unread in the corner.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2011, 11:49:17 AM »
Man that has GoT to be a RUSH!

Would love to do it.

I can only imagine what it must be to experience a catapult launch from 0 to 165 mph in 2 seconds!

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 11:50:55 AM by Reinz »

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 08:44:44 AM »
I wish there was a U-Tube video that showed an experienced hand shooting an R9 - so I could see the way they gripped the gun.  Instead, there is a video of an old guy grimmacing after each shot, and two young midwestern guys complaining about the recoil of the R9 - you know these two: "oohh Tad, I would rather shoot a caskil 454"  or with two shots left "oohh Tad, do I haave to"? (he was complaining about having to shoot the last two rounds)

I remember seeing those two videos as well - they actually gave me an (unnecessary) pause about buying an R9 at first. But then I also found this video of Karl shooting the R9 - I think Karl knows how to shoot it pretty durn well!

http://www.thingameez.com/vid-download/r9-karl-demo.wmv

Candidly I sort of enjoy giving my R9 to a friend or shooting buddy just to watch their reaction - which almost invariably ends up less like Karl and more like those two videos you reference. I think this supports what Douglas posted - that many people aren't really shooters and the R9 performs for those who are (and penalizes those who are not -  at least a little bit).

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 08:53:41 AM »
The R9 is for experienced shooters. That said, anyone can learn  to shoot it well (7 yards) with practice.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline Douglas

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 07:30:31 PM »
I wish there was a U-Tube video that showed an experienced hand shooting an R9 - so I could see the way they gripped the gun.  Instead, there is a video of an old guy grimmacing after each shot, and two young midwestern guys complaining about the recoil of the R9 - you know these two: "oohh Tad, I would rather shoot a caskil 454"  or with two shots left "oohh Tad, do I haave to"? (he was complaining about having to shoot the last two rounds)

I remember seeing those two videos as well - they actually gave me an (unnecessary) pause about buying an R9 at first. But then I also found this video of Karl shooting the R9 - I think Karl knows how to shoot it pretty durn well!

http://www.thingameez.com/vid-download/r9-karl-demo.wmv

Candidly I sort of enjoy giving my R9 to a friend or shooting buddy just to watch their reaction - which almost invariably ends up less like Karl and more like those two videos you reference. I think this supports what Douglas posted - that many people aren't really shooters and the R9 performs for those who are (and penalizes those who are not -  at least a little bit).

The Karl video is a good one. Illustrative.

To be clear: It's my view that an "experienced" shooter can be recoil sensitive. I mean, why not? One might just "not prefer" a heavy recoiling pistol. The difference would be that from your experience you would know your own preferences.

My take is that the R9 might surprise inexperienced hands. I mean, people blast away on TV and in the movies, full-auto, one hand, etc. If that is one's frame of reference, lighting off a full-house 9mm in a 13 oz. pistol might be eye-opening.  :o

An experienced shooter will be much less likely to be surprised. He will, in ballpark terms at least, know what to expect. Now, even an experienced shooter might then decide: "This is not for me, there's too much recoil." but I don't think you'd see the melodramatic exclamations from that shooter that we see in the confounding videos.

-AND... it is my opinion that the R9 just does not fall into that recoil category for nearly anyone. Based on my experience, I think those videos are largely some combination of inexperience and affectation. Mostly the latter. -Gun goes off and shooter says, "WHOOOOAAAAAAAA!!!" because it's fun to say. Out of all proportion. Some people do it when they smell something unpleasant; you know the type. -Same thing.

I've fired some big game calibre handguns, and handed them back to their owners with a, "Thank you. That's not one I'm going to need." I was never surprised that Newton's laws applied however.  :)