Author Topic: First Range Report  (Read 17128 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: First Range Report
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 07:20:09 AM »
Reinz is right on the mark, as usual. The attraction of the P7M13 is its rarity. While even some P7 Cult members refer to them affectionately as "bricks" or "boat anchors," the going price for a NIB P7M13 these days in the community of P7 collectors can be . . . shall we say . . . impressive.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline docboss

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 11:29:44 AM »
Yes. "Impressive" is a great word. I think I will move this topic to the "Other Guns" forum listing, but thanks. Now, could you guys give me some advice about the VZ grips? Which type is best for grip, cushioning, appearance on a stealth, etc? Do the VZ grips make it harder to draw the firearm from a holster? Are the dimensions (width) the same? I use a Galco IWB but would also like some advice about the Recluse front pocket holster. Thanks for your help.  ;)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 11:37:29 PM »
Doc - VZ did an outstanding job on their grip design for the R9.  Size wise is excellant, the only differece is a bit of extra girth with palm swells, not too much, but just right.  Now the gun does Not feel like a piece of lumber. 

As far as looks, that will be up to you.  To me, you can't beat going with the Carbon Fiber Black or the G 10 in Black Cherry, Black Gray,or Black Hyena.  They all look great in their own right.  I have been so pleased with the Carbon Fiber, that is all I put on 3 of my R9's.  I'm not interested in the checkered or anything else.
Peruse the VZ threads and you will see various pics to get ideas from.

I have quite a few custom holsters for my R9's, unfortunately none of them are the Recluse, so I have no input there.  However, they have proved themselves an excellant sponsor to do business with.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:12:58 AM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline docboss

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 07:08:20 PM »
Latest report: Ammo is getting a little scarce. My order with Ammo-to-Go is pending. I went to the range and shot 12 rounds of GD 124. No issues and all center mass at 7yrds or so. Then I decided to try some spare Federal white box, Range and Target 115 ammo. Yes, I know Rohrbaughs are ammo "intolerant", but I thought I would try anyway. After 36 rounds of Federal "stuff", I was shocked! I had one "stove pipe" while shooting one handed, which I think was a "limp wrist" issue. The firearm shot well, securely and accurately with the Feds.
What am I missing? I have read volumes on folks with failures to feed, fire, extract, etc. with bargain ammo. Did I just get an exceptional version? Sorry, but if someone complains about Rohrbaugh reliability, I must wonder: Do they clean and lubricate properly? What is different? The "pup" has greatly exceeded my expectations. Doc  ??? PS. Local ranges are either selling ammo for range use only or asking patrons to bring their own ammo.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 10:29:58 PM »
Doc:

You have "broken the code." Thank for that fine range report.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2013, 01:28:03 AM »
Yep ammo is getting scarce.

I bought a ton of ammo last October or so when it looked like Obama might get re-elected.

Now to buy ammo you need to travel back in time to before the election...