Author Topic: Mag changing - pics and comment  (Read 4339 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Mag changing - pics and comment
« on: August 13, 2004, 03:13:11 PM »
Ok - this is my take - only!! ... far from definitive but - I have found one or two small aspects of this operation can simplify it a bit - beyond which I strongly recommend practice .. and more practice.  Suits me anyways.

BTW - pics are a tad basic - had to reach in front of camera for each shot and have remote in mouth - biting down on button to get each shot!! .. Flash was only way to get away from motion blur so - crummy lighting.  (always have to make my excuses!). ;D

1] This is my preferred hold at start of operation .... gun tilted slightly up and leaning to right.  Left thumb is applying pressure to release whilst left forefinger first joint is engaging on front of mag floor plate.  This is the disengagement phase.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2] Here mag has disengaged and left forefinger is pulling down as left thumb slides off mag release to take a rear mag hold. From here it just needs removed - with further downward motion leading us to next pic..

3] By twisting left hand slightly counter clockwise and sliding finger and thumb round (it's quite a fluid and easy movement) ..... the mag is held more precisely and removed totally.  Unfortunately even a loaded mag cannot drop but ... this removal process can be speeded up a lot with practice. As mag comes free of mag well it can be released and dropped as hand goes for spare.  Again, practice fluidity of movement.

4] Now we come to insertion of new mag - potentially where many folks will hang up.  The first critical aspect is engaging rear of mag against mag catch - applying rearward pressure against its spring.  You'll see I have the mag raked rearward at this point.  You then have a potential catching obstruction tho with the top round bullet.

5] To avoid that top round bullet fouling, the mag needs raked forward as in the pic ... whilst maintaining the rearward pressure against mag release.  In fact - right (strong) hand can move in sympathy with left to further expedite this manouver both in this phase and previous.  It's a transition movement.

6] Now mag is engaging and safely started things get routine ... just requiring the std heel of weak hand to slap mag fully home ... that is easy.

7] Completion of above move.

Now - I have not shown further than this but - if this was not a strategic reload and a new round needs chambered .. my approach is to rotate strong hand counter clockwise to bring slide over to left in this case, making gun horizontal with right side up...... as weak hand moves quickly to grasp slide between weak hand thumb and outer side of forefinger second joint.  Both hands then briskly move in opposite directions to very rapidly cycle slide, at end of which manouver slide is released smartly and gun is again rotated to upright with weak hand at same time sliding down to resume a two handed hold if desired.  IMO just as quick as staying with singe hand grip.

I could take some pics to show this if wanted but - hey - I am pretty much preaching to the choir for most part ... offering if you will a humble 2c, no more.

Oh and did I say ... PRACTICE!!!!!!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline shelb

• Expert
Re: Mag changing - pics and comment
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 03:41:10 PM »
Great job!  I bet you could link those togther to form a movie  :)

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 04:16:26 PM »
Thanks for the pictures.

From your process, it looks like removing the magazine requires a bit more force than would be achieved by just hooking the base plate with the finger and yanking it out, as I proposed in the other thread.

Only other suggestion:  many of us carry spare magazines in a pocket spare mag pouch.  Most of these pouches don't have anything to hook onto the lip of a pocket, and therefore can't be separated from the magazine while still in the pocket (Jerry Ahern's is the only exception I have seen).  So, bring the magazine up just as shown above, grab the pouch with the pinky of the gun hand, pull the magazine out of the pouch, let the pouch fall to the ground, and insert the magazine as shown above.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 05:08:29 PM »
Thx for your thoughts there Bill --- points taken and I think in fact we are not too far removed in approach .. tell ya what - drop by for a beer and we'll compare notes eh!? :)

Some of this inevitably is quite individual as far as the ''fine tuning goes'' - as to what works best.  Usually only discovered by trial and error followed by - yep - practice! :P
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 06:20:44 PM »
Thanks for the pix, Bill. Your method is well thought out and I appreciate your going to the trouble of providing the pictures.
Thanks again.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 06:27:29 PM »
Hi Chris,

I don't really have a "method" yet as I don't have a Rohrbaugh to play with, so I'm just guessing about what might work.  I checked your profile, and you probably aren't more than a couple of hours here.

9milmouse, while I'd love to claim credit for the photos, they are the work of Chris (R9SCarry) and not mine.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 06:28:31 PM »
Oops. Chris, I think I called you Bill.  :P  Anyway, many thanks for the pix. Much appreciated.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 06:29:51 PM »
Bill??  Me called Chris! ;D

9mil ..... gonna have to make you go non-metric now ... .356".mouse.  :D
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 06:57:33 PM »
Yeah, sorry. Me be .356" mouse now.   ;D  

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 07:12:16 PM »
So,do I understand correctly that the mag does have to be taken out with fingertip??
No problem as I have to do this with my Seecamp with an empty mag..Full, it drops maybe a quarter of an inch..
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2004, 07:33:51 PM »
Brenden ... once phase one achieved, mag emerges about 1/4" by itself if full - maybe half that empty ... should have added that ... thus making phase two start automatically to a degree.  Certainly, the slight emergence facilitates phase two without having to grapple too much with forefinger.

Once more tho - practice!
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Jim

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2004, 12:48:24 AM »
Hey R9SCarry,
Stellar pictures and great thread, thanks a bunch, I can't wait for my pistol to arrive so I can try out your great method..

Thanks,  Jim, (in the thumb of Mi.)
Glock 23, previous R9S owner sold due to health problems.  Just enjoy the folks on this forum!!