Author Topic: R-9s First Impressions  (Read 3080 times)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
R-9s First Impressions
« on: August 15, 2004, 01:43:02 PM »
My turn!   ;D  For those who are still waiting...

The R-9s arrives in a very nice black hard plastic lockable case with egg-crate foam inside.  The gun is packed with 2 mags, a nice rubber-coated cable lock, and a spare spring.  The manual is well written and designed, with more info about the gun and its design than your typical cookie-cutter manual.

The gun's size is suprising if you haven't held one.  Even my wife who is somewhat ambivalent about the appearance of guns, commented that it was "pretty cool."  The tri-color with the stainless slide, dark annodized frame, and blue grips is very nice.  The grip panels were somewhat nicer in appearance on one side than the other -- but I think that is the nature of working with carbon fiber.  I see the same variations on $200 knife scales.

The slide works very smoothly.  The trigger pull is long, with some stacking at the end, but very smooth.  This is a much better trigger pull than anthing else in its class.  Much beter than an out-of-the-box S&W J-frame pull.  The trigger reset is so smooth and slick I though something was wrong with it at first.

This is my first gun with a heel-type mag release.  I didn't think I would like it.  I think I do.  There is something about the inherent simplicity.  You can visually inspect the gun to ensure the mag is seated properly.  I know that the majority of failures I have had with a semi-auto are the failure to completely seat the magazine on a reload.  

The magazine quality is apparent.  Index holes for every round.  Easy to load.  Stainless steel.  Sweet.

This gun exudes quality construction.  So far... I am not disappointed a bit.  I think it only gets better from here!

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
Re: R-9s First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004, 02:55:52 PM »
Cool, Duane. Glad yours arrived safely amid all the confusion with the weather. Those of us that got lower numbers with no "R" didn't get the spare spring included. I think it's very thoughtful of the Rohrbaughs to include it, more evidence of their desire to treat buyers of their product well. Let us know what you think after a few rounds. It does take a bit of getting used to, even if you've been shooting other small pistols. Long trigger stroke, long reset, bit of a lift when it goes 'bam."  

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 03:05:13 PM »
Sounds good Duane!  Indeed ..... no amount of description will quite be enough, compared with seeing, holding and general handling.  Most who have seen mine have been somewhat in awe .... re size, feel and of course the very obvious extremely high quality of engineering.

I again have been tweaking ... sorry - but lifted the pic a bit!  (Meddlesome ol' phart I am!)

:P
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 03:15:50 PM »
Cool, glad you finally got yers... RJ can't be far behind.  :)

At what serial # did they add the R prefix? Did they start from 100 or 0 again when the R was added?

Offline Texas_Bob

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 03:20:08 PM »
 If the wife thinks it's kinda cool, bet you'll be ordering a second one soon. Showed mine at the range yesterday to a RO that had never seen one. After he put three rounds in the 10 at 7yds, he said he's going to start saving $$$ right away. I bet a second one is in your future.

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2004, 03:24:07 PM »
Great!!  Glad to hear of your first experience with the R9S.  The decision to include a spare recoil spring must be fairly recent.  The R9S that I recieved around a month ago did not come with one.  It doesn't take long to get through 500 rounds for a new pistol, so its very cool that the Rohrbaughs decided to include this.