Author Topic: Am I the only one?  (Read 5003 times)

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
Am I the only one?
« on: August 16, 2004, 12:18:55 AM »
As I read all the posts on this site, I seem to be the only one to own a R9. I have serial number 153 so I would assume some else has one somewhere.
With my eye sight and glasses, I have to choose to focus on sights or target. One will be out of focus. I do faily well at 7 yards and can cover my hits with my hand.(usually) I have sights on every other gun I own and in a stress, fast moving  situation at night, I don't think they would be that important. Only at the range........

These are my thoughts and yours may vary.

Offline shelb

• Expert
Re: Am I the only one?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 12:42:27 AM »
I can see the logic of not having them, but was afraid I would feel akward without them at least for range practice anyway.  Sights probably wouldn't come into play in a close quarters encounter that the R9 and R9S was designed for.

I would love to see a picture of your R9.......I've only seen the pic of one on the Rohrbaugh website.   :)

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 12:59:46 PM »
I'm not a photographer but here goes:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 07:10:33 PM by doctordun »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 02:45:11 PM »
Thx for the pic .. first one I have seen outside of their site.  Strange tho - it is about 50k file size, which is good but .. about 1280 pixels wide!!!!  So pic sitting it seems in a large black area!  Could be cropped really!

I am pretty much with Shelby re sights choice ...  prefer to have than not but agree tho in a stress situation they will probably not be used to a great extent.  I have some ''BrightSights'' paint spots on mine and do find that helps with aquisition but having old eyes also .. focussing on irons is difficult these days.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 02:52:29 PM »
thanks for the pic!

I has a different look without the milled in sights.....I like it!

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 03:16:10 PM »
I think the Rohrbaugh folks may have been surprised at how many of us opted for the sighted version, once it was offered.
It would be interesting to learn what percentage of their output have sights and what percentage are without. I ordered my Rohrbaugh with sights because I figured I could always file them off if I just absolutely hated them. I actually use them and am glad I have them, although I agree that away from the range they may just get ignored.

I don't think the serial numbers reflect whether or not the pistol has sights. My serial number is just a little bit lower than yours doc, but it is a sighted unit. I'm pretty sure they make the frames in batches and then assemble the top end with whatever kind of slide is ordered.

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 03:25:32 PM »
I understood that the R9 and R9S each had their own serial number sequences. I believe I have #153 in the R9 series and some one else has #153 in the R9S series.
Again, this would not be the first time I've been wrong. I can think of at least one time before I was wrong, but no one was looking, so that doesn't count.

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 11:18:28 PM »
Hi doctordun,

I notice what looks like a tiny gouge on the left side of the frame just in front of the trigger guard in your pic.  I wondered if you notice any other defects in the gray frame finish.  
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 01:59:42 AM by justin2992 »
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 12:21:04 AM »
I have somehow got a couple nicks on the anodized aluminum. I sent it in for an extraction issue which they fixed. I don't know exactly how the nicks got there. I email Eric and he told me that they are working on something that we could use to fix small nicks such as I have. If I try to polish the nicks, I will expose a lot more shiney aluminum. The nicks are very tiny. Hopefully the Rohrbaughs will come up with something.

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 01:22:14 AM »
Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black Metal Touch Up is my best idea so far.  "Color will vary from deep gray to black depending on alloy."
You could probably apply just to the gouged area with a splintered toothpick.  I believe it darkens from gray to black the longer you leave it applied.
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 01:48:05 AM »
Thanks. They are so tiny I hardly notice them.

Regarding the reason I started this thread, I believe I'm the only member of this forum who owns a R9. I feel like an orphan.

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 01:59:18 AM »
Also, are the contours on the dust cover area of the frame in front of the trigger guard a little more rounded on the right side compared to the left?

Offline dkochan

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 09:36:11 AM »
I also have an R9.  I found the sights on the R9s to be useless because they are too small for me.  When I handled the R9 for the first time at the 2004 SHOT Show I found that the R9 points naturally.  Besides, at seven yards I can shoot five out of six rounds within the zero points area within 5.02 seconds when drawing from my front pocket.  (The sixth round ended up in the #1 point area.)  The R9 is a close quarters weapon.  If I want to shoot a gun a with good sights I move up to my Kahr PM9, P9 or Glock 19.

Offline doctordun

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 11:31:42 AM »
Justin,
It is totally symetrical on both sides. At least, I can't tell any difference.