Author Topic: One good thing  (Read 3818 times)

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
One good thing
« on: August 18, 2004, 09:10:05 AM »
 I wasn't thinking about,"...how many more days before I get my pistol?" , for the past few days.  Sweltering in that *high humidly*, with no A/C, eatin' Hot Dogs, drinking  *Crystal Light* with little or no ice.  :'(

But, still We were so lucky, some people had nothing...
RJ=

Offline gunner930

Re: One good thing
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 12:33:22 PM »
 Hi RJ, yes you are lucky to have faired so well. I know everyone here is glad you did.  :) We all thought DGater would get the brunt of it and then it changed so fast.
 I know our weather people are very good today with the complex radar systems, but it just goes to show they still cant predict the future. Mother nature has its own ideas.
 I went through a no power situation myself except being in upper east TN, it was from a heavy snow. Talk about cold!  :o  After that I also bought a 5000watt generator. Its enough to power the lights and heat a couple of rooms. The bigger things like stoves, water heaters, can be used but only one at a time. I recomend about 8000 to 10,000watts. That would be enough to run your Fridge and A/C plus some lights. Also, get one with a 5gal fuel tank and wheels. These things are heavy.
 I had a large piece of household wire (most extension cords cant handle alot) with two male 220v plugs made and plug mine into the dryer outlet. That way it powers both sides of the fuse box and 110v fuses work on both sides so you can have power anywhere in the house. With breaker boxes where a 220V switch is on one side, this may not work. This saves alot of cost of a switchover box but you must ALWAYS pull the "main" whenever the wire is connected so the power workers dont get juiced down the street, and pull all your fuses or breakers exept what the gen. can handle at one time.
 I do recomend having a trained electrician do it. I did but he made me promise not to tell as code requires a switch over box so the "main" and gen. are seperated always. Switch overs are just so much more money. This way is very safe as long as you BE SURE the "main" is pulled. I even put warning notes on my wire and gen. as a reminder.
 Oh well, I know this is not a generator forum but like carrying a gun, its following the good ole scout motto of "Be Prepared". Hope this helps anyone who may need a generator...
Gunner930

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 04:37:55 PM »
Gunner930

Thanks for that *electrical tip*.   I may do something like that, in the near future.  

Would you believe that there were two men found dead in their home, very near here .   They were running a generator inside the house !   I thought every one knew better than that... ::)    I imagine they were afraid someone would steal it during the night.  

Also, I heard a report of gasoline being stolen from some of the *out of state* utility workers trucks, as they were helping restore the electrical power in the area.   >:(
RJ=

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 06:21:13 PM »
RJ:

As your self-appointed attorney and risk-management consultant, I ask only that you also get a switch-over box.  (You, too, Gunner.)

I know that neat trick which Gunner describes.  We occasionally used it in West Africa when the power "went missing."  Back there, however, electrical codes, building inspectors, and potential law suits weren't very high on our list of concerns.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 07:54:01 PM »
  **Switch over box**

For sure !!
RJ=

Offline gunner930

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 04:05:12 AM »
 Richard, I hearby appoint you as my new "free advice" attorney.  :)  Yeah, I was thinking after I posted the "no switch over box" idea, it may have not been a very good recomendation. I'd hate to think someone was electricuted because of advice of mine!  :'(
 Just dont anyone be powering an A/C and fridge off of a regular extension cord. Big fire hazard there! After hearing about the guys with the generator in the house, I also recomend not only a smoke alarm but a carbon monoxide detector too.
 Yes, if we spend the money for a good "Be Prepared" gun like the R9's, then we should spend it for a switch-over box for our generators too.
 Seriously, Thank You Richard!
Gunner

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 09:21:22 AM »
I saw a prototype of a General Motors produced fuel cell generator. Impressive.

Offline gunner930

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 02:46:14 PM »
 Hmmm, thats another thing with a generator. To run about 2 days takes alot of gasoline. If the power is out all over town, the gas stations are without power too. Hopefully you could drive a decent distance and find an open station but otherwise you need a good bulk of gasoline stored.
 I have about 60 gals in 5gal containers stored in a well vented outbuilding a good ways from the house. Only because in my situation, due to snow and ice, there is a chance of not being able to drive to a nearby town.
 One safer option is a generator that runs off natural gas if its available where you live. They are more costly but no worrys about having fuel or keeping it fresh.
 George, where did you see that prototype? Very interesting...
  Gunner

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 03:09:18 PM »
Ever thought of a generator that was electrical powered ?

......... never mind.      :D
RJ=

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 07:38:37 PM »
General Motors is based here in Detroit. They are really promoting their fuel cell generator big time. I suspect that they think the generator will be easier to market than a fuel cell powered car. The concept behind a fuel cell is that a chemical reaction between hydrogen and oxygen creates two things--water and electricity.