Author Topic: This is a "MUST" read for all R9 owners!  (Read 2726 times)

Offline Texas_Bob

• Sharpshooter
This is a "MUST" read for all R9 owners!
« on: August 19, 2004, 06:10:21 PM »
 Let my "experience" be for the benefit of everyone. When replacing the recoil spring assembly, the large recoil spring facing the muzzel needs to have the open end (shaped like a screw) facing downrange. The "flat" or closed circular end needs to go against the flange for the small recoil assembly. Those of you with good camera skills, I hope will read this and post a pic of what I'm talking about. If you assemble backwards(like I did) the front recoil spring will work it's way over the flange in about three rounds resulting in "slide-lock back." I had to "destroy" the large recoil spring in order to free the assembly. This is not entirely clear in the owners manuel. Talking to Eric, he asked me to post this as he sends me NC another spring and readies another "red sticky" to go into the owners manuel. Learn from my mistake. :)

Offline FJC

• Expert
Re: This is a "MUST" read for all R9 own
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 07:02:44 PM »
That's a common issue/problem on a lot of different pistols.  I think the Colt Defender chopped .45 I used to own would shut down quickly if the outer recoil spring was installed backwards.

I agree, though, it should be spelled out clearly in the owner's manual.   Thanks for the heads-up!
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: This is a "MUST" read for all R9 own
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 08:55:09 PM »
Yes indeed Bob .... that ''open'' end with just a clipped-off appearance does have to be ''contained'', within the end cap.  The ''finished end of course, bearing against the rear main spring guide stop collar.

My Pic in the thread on recoil springs does hopefully show this to a degree .... but methinks I'll upgrade that image to include this info .... best to make sure all know it.

Be good of course to add this to manual for new owners too as soon as practicable .. or even include a sigle sheet extra with that info, in the case.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the pic again . since I editted it ... for reference ......

« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 09:08:22 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.