Author Topic: R9SCarry's ammo report is now being criticized  (Read 5639 times)

Offline justin2992

• Expert
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: R9SCarry's ammo report is now being criticized
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 01:06:10 PM »
Ahhh, thx Justin .. I had just posted to ask Duane for a link .... off to look...............

Ahhh so Jim is commenting on some of the distorted bullets ..... well, perhaps i did understate somewhat on reflection but --- I have posted a reply anyways and am still myself not overly concerned that one or two ammo types behave less than ideally .... when others are perfect for the gun.

We'll see also, what the next test run shows when I get to it.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 01:38:29 PM »
Yep -- I think further testing is even more important now.

The fact remains that the Gold Dots work well and are a good quality premium ammo.

Some guns have done very well as a "one load" tricke -- i.e., the Seecamps and the Silvertips.  I don't think that will be the case here, but those looking to criticise the gun will cling to this as a "fatal flaw."

What about how "Glock Perfection" G-19s have trouble feeding Gold Dots?  Not all ammo works the same in all guns.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 04:49:50 PM »
 I would not let this bother me in the least.   There are always going to be those that will find fault with anyone's efforts to test ammo, or compare pistols or revolvers.  

I know a Gun Dealer that swore he would never own a Seecamp.  One day I walk into his Shop, to hear that he now, loved the SC and would never carry anything else.  Seems that he took one in on trade.  [Stole it]

I think the high cost and low availability, tends to bring this out...

RJ=

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 10:19:56 PM »
Chris:  

Lord have mercy!  I cannot understand some of these critics.  The Rohrbaugh pistols are not target pistols or sniper rifles.

I pulled up and read the High Road thread.  The postings by you and Duane are excellent.  A number of the responses on the thread seemed to come from people who could not, or would not, pay the price for a Rohrbaugh.  So be it.  There was a time in my life when I could not afford to buy any pistol at all, much less one as fine as the Rohrbaugh.  Fortunately, I am now no longer in that condition.

Stay the course, Chris.  Your range reports are absolutely first class.  Other than an intense academic interest, I am not sure that I really care whether an "up-close-and-personal" defensive pocket pistol "tumbles" its bullets or not.  After all, at seven to twelve yards, a tumbling bullet will just make a larger hole in the BG.  Also, one does not want maximum penetration with a purely defensive weapon.  (Now those last two comments should be enough to bring someone out of the tall grass.)

Regardless of all that, however, my range targets with the R9s have always shown clean, round holes with the two types of cartridge I have been feeding it -- Winchester "WB" 115 gr. and Remington Golden Saber 147 gr.  I stocked up on those before my Rohrbaugh arrived, and I have now about expended my supply of both.  I am currently carrying the GS 147s, of which I have about 25 left.  If my dealer receives my resupply order, I shall send you a box and then await the results of your final round of testing to determine which cartridge will be my choice for permanent use.  At this point, the Speer Gold Dots do indeed look impressive.

Thanks again.  

RS

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 11:38:08 PM »
Thx for the support Richard .... well, I am old and pretty thick skinned and am not gonna lose sleep over it!  

I have been a tad intrigued as to why my test on the 124 grain GS's was quite so bad.  I'll be interested to see what happens when I try the 147's.  If possible I'll attempt to make up two wet packs and so try and keep all rounds tested well separated.

My reports are essentially subjective tho - I try and be objective with my interpretations.  Of course, this is hardly top drawer ''pro testing'' .... more an appraisal by an owner/user, sufficient at least to give us all some sorta idea what to expect .......... something to maybe help us in our choice of ammo etc.

That is all it'll ever be really ... but my thinking is - ''better something than nothing''! :)

For time being - GD's will still be taking up residence in my R9! ;D
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline gunner930

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 04:45:49 AM »
 Like Richard said, "these R9's are not sniper rifles"! I doubt any attacker shot by one of those "worthless Gold Dots" would know the difference.  ::) However, I did some tests of my own 2 days ago with Gold Dots and other expansion makes. I will not post them as I'm no balistic expert at all and dont want to stress the poor folks that criticized Chris. I will say they were short distance rounds which I simply compared for myself the damage they each did to my pretend "attacker" and Gold Dots did the worst damage. Wether or not they expanded any certain way, I dont know but they tore the heck out of my "attackers" compared to the other makes I fired.
 That and Chris's A+ tests are all I need to know that Gold Dots are what I'm carrying in my R9s.  8)

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 08:54:40 AM »
Gold Dots are my pick, also..
RJ=

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 09:18:52 AM »
I posted a reply.

People like Seko watches. Accurate, attractive, and cheaper than a Rolex. But I've never seen a Rolex sale...

I deal with a lot of crazy people. In the last 5 days, I've had 2 involuntarily committed to mental institutions for testing and treatment.

I worry about my safety. My safety is important to me. THR debate is more about price and availability than either the pistol's quality or suitability.

The Rohrbaugh will become a cult gun like the Seecamp. I am a proud member of both cults. ;)

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 01:02:33 AM »
Hi George,

Laugh all you want, but I have a Rollex in my safe too. To be fair though, it belonged to my dad. I have always been happy with Pulsars.

Hi Chris,

Irregardless of any criticism, I really appreciate the work you did testing ammunition and am convinced that your results are valid. I have been stockpiling the 115 grain Gold Dots.

Frank

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 01:06:41 AM »
Frank - thx.  

Well .. next series should now include up to seven new types of ammo ..... for evaluation.  Once I have them all in .. we will get rocking and see what we have ..... which should add useful data to what we have already.

Even better I will hope - on which to base our choice of best carry ammo.  So far yes ... GD's (IMO) sure have it ... but who is to say we may not find something else just as good,.  We'll see.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2004, 09:53:34 PM »
George:

I used to have a Rolex Submariner, which I valued very highly.  I lost it to a band of five armed robbers in 1993 in the confusion surrounding the Abacha coup in Nigeria.  I now wear a less expensive but equally accurate Swiss watch.

At the time, I hardly noticed the loss of my Rolex, or my automobile, or my passport, or my fractured jawbone.  When I came back around, I was just surprised and grateful that I was still alive.  Four of the robbers had revolvers or semi-automatics, but it was the fifth weapon, locally known as a "Dane Gun," which really riveted my attention when it was shoved into my belly.  A "Dane Gun" is a homemade shotgun, usually 12-guage, which no sane person would ever attempt to fire.  It is small comfort, though, to know that your assailant may lose both of his hands at the same time you  lose your life.

Of course, I was unarmed when all of that occurred.  I also had the distinct discomfort of realizing what was about to come down about 15 seconds before it all hit the fan.  Only the military, the police . . . and, of course, the criminals . . . were able to carry guns in Nigeria at the time.  

If something like that doesn't make a man an avid supporter of the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution, I do not know what would do so.  All of which is yet another of many reasons why I so value my R9s and why I am so rarely without it.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2004, 09:59:49 PM »
Richard - that all merely amplifies our own, personal responsibilities for our own safety - and that of our loved ones.  Because - quite simply - no one can do it for us.  

I wish so much the anti's would see this... instead of branding us - the law abiding public ... as dangerous nuts! >:(
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site