Author Topic: Empty Chamber  (Read 12794 times)

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
Empty Chamber
« on: August 19, 2004, 07:27:36 PM »
How many of you carry your Rohrbaugh with an empty chamber, as recommended in the manual?  I'll start off by admitting that I don't. I use holsters which cover the trigger, and I carry the little gem with a round already in the chamber. 8)  

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: Empty Chamber
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 07:52:15 PM »
Well, first off, I don't even HAVE a Rohrbaugh !! :'(  :P ::)

But if I did, it would be in a damn good pocket holster and have a round chambered.. ;D
RJ=

Offline shelb

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 07:53:10 PM »
An empty chamber = one less round I can use in an emergency......not to mention the extra second or so to chamber a round.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 08:00:49 PM »
That is ridiculous lawyer crap... (no offense intended).  All gun manuals say never to carry a gun loaded.  The Glock manual says that different procedures may be employed by highly trained law enforcement or military personnel or something similar.

The gun is designed to be carried with a round in the chamber.  No other method makes a whole lot of sense to me.  I am sure the Rohrbaughs would tell you the same thing -- especially if their lawyer wasn't looking...  ::)
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 08:02:02 PM »
I'm bad too, I keep a round in the chamber and when I carry a revolver I keep a round ready in the cylinder.
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 08:13:52 PM »
I'm with DDGator on this one.  And I'm a lawyer -- a Second Amendment lawyer, but still and all a lawyer.

As for my personal opinion, if you carry a defensive DAO pistol without a round up the spout, you might as well have a rock in your pocket.  In such a weapon, the effort required to pull the trigger and a quality holster covering the trigger and its guard are the safeties -- coupled, of course, with the good judgment and training of the person carrying the weapon.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 08:40:33 PM »
Honestly, I wasn't encouraging flames toward lawyers, I should have seen that coming. I know we have several fine members of that profession on this forum. I'm just interested to see if anyone actually does carry with an empty chamber.

It's too bad the standard wording can't be something more appropriate and useful, like "carry in a suitable holster that covers the trigger so the firearm won't discharge accidentally" or something similar that reflects what is really needed for safe carry for whatever the particular weapon is.

I like the rock in the pocket analogy, RS.   ;D

Offline Texas_Bob

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 08:43:34 PM »
Well, first off, I don't even HAVE a Rohrbaugh !! :'(  :P ::)

But if I did, it would be in a damn good pocket holster and have a round chambered.. ;D
Any holster maker you care to reccomend?

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 08:47:34 PM »
Just agreeing with the ''choir'' here but yeah ..... in-very-deed ..... one ''up the spout'' for diddly sure.  

This lil pup is about as safe as an auto gets .... with that long but smooth 7 lb trigger pull .... heck, to achieve ''blast-off'' really does require a whole lot more than some accidental pressure exerted.

I also carry ''chambered and ready'' with revo ... no empty chamber ... and IMO the pup is every bit as safe as any revo in this respect.  Totally.

My only concession to empty chamber is with S/A's .. my 1911 and BHP .. I carry those condition #2 .. purely because I came to S/A carry so late that I have not the degree of self confidence for cocked and locked.  OTOH - if have my P97 or P95 on board then - condition #1 ... they are D/A-S/A and decockers ... and as safe as the pup.

The ''empty chamber'' in manuals is purely to satisfy the legal dept as far as I have ever been aware.!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 09:07:59 PM »
9mil.mouse:

No flames were perceived.  Besides, there are "lawyers," and then there are "Lawyers."

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 09:38:09 PM »
9milMouse is not to blame for any lawyer bashing -- that was me that started it.   :P

The lawyers here on the forum know that I meant no disrespect.  In fact -- I think the will agree that language is crazy lawyer talk.   ;D  Its hard to define, but I know it when I see it!  
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 10:06:48 PM »
DDgator - heretofore and henceforth known as the ''administrator'' of this forum ... herewith doth decree that you - ''the membership'' ... all torts excepted - be hereunto and henceforth .... under said administrator's first phalanx ... otherwise to be known as ''thumb''.  Retribution shall be extracted should members step out of line or transgress in an excessive and unseemly fashion, not withstanding mediating circumstances and exceptions.  Should excesses leed to banning proceedures, a lien will be taken on private ownership of pistol R9 (Rohrbaugh manufacture).

A poor attempt at ''legaleze''  :D ;D :D ;D
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 10:25:16 PM »
Chris:

Not bad.  Not bad at all.  Do you have time to enroll in law school at night?  There is an excellent one in your area.  I suspect that our cause is going to need every good "Lawyer" we can get in the coming years -- and I'm becoming old, my friend.  I'm becoming old.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 10:36:57 PM »
[size=13] Do you have time to enroll in law school at night?[/size]

No way Jose!!!!  ;D ;D

I too Richard am becoming old .. which is of course all relative .. but I know my limitations (I think!). :P
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2004, 10:47:33 PM »
Chris:

Oh, well, then . . . we're just going to have to circle the wagons and depend on some of the Young Turks of the Forum to carry on when we're gone.  

However, in the words of Dylan Thomas, I do not intend to "go gentle into that good night."  I intend to "rage, rage at the dying of the light."  

Enough.  I'm out of here for today.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"