Author Topic: Empty Chamber  (Read 12795 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Empty Chamber
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2004, 11:16:29 PM »
Richard - indeed - circle the wagons! :)  ''Go gentle'' .. haha .... no way - rage all the way!

Sleep well Sir - later.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2004, 11:19:32 PM »
Remember the Lawyer Calhoon, on the "Amos and Andy Show"?

"What we has here, Andy, is a case of "Korpus Delitti"
 or something like that. :-[
RJ=

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2004, 11:42:32 PM »
[size=13] a case of "Korpus Delitti"[/size]

Wasn't that ''flagrante delecto'' RJ? ..... Oops no - maybe not!!  ;D ;D
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2004, 12:05:07 AM »
It has always grated on me when actors in the movies chamber a round in their automatics for dramatic effect. No professional would ever carry a modern, high quality automatic without a round in the chamber. Every automatic I carry has a chambered round when I carry it.

With that said, many of the automatics, pocket and otherwise, made in the 1920s, 30s, and 40s,  before this modern age of litigation, were, due to their design and the materials used in their construction, unsafe to carry with a round in the chamber. I still have a couple, that are in my safe for sentimental reasons, that belonged to my Grandfather. One of them is a striker fired Ortgies .32 that, due to a poorly designed striker and sear mechanism, could go full automatic in your pocket.

Just a thought on the subject.

Frank

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2004, 12:10:31 AM »
I routinely hear the sound of a Glock's hammer being cocked in the movies when the actor gets serious about shooting someone...  Give me a break.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2004, 12:26:38 AM »

[size=13] could go full automatic in your pocket.
 [/size]

Shooter - the mind boggles!! What if the ''jewels'' got in the way .... ouch!! ;D
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2004, 12:40:01 AM »
This lawyer has a different take on the "warning" issue.

By not structuring the warnings to correspond to the actual way that the gun is designed to be used, aren't they encouraging users to ignore the other, better thought out warnings as well?  

If someone were killed because they didn't have time to chamber a round, would their relatives have a claim for causing the death by providing improper instructions.

Haven't they therefore actually increased their potential liability by not recommending carrying the gun with a loaded chamber and covered trigger area?

::)
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2004, 01:11:04 AM »
Bill .... this almost seems a ''catch 22'' .... the gun maker is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't!!

I guess - perhaps - the manual couold cover both aspects.  Viz .....

''It is recommended for maximum safety to keep the chamber empty.  However to maximize self protection a chambered round is desirable, at the discretion of the owner''!!!

Some way to cover all bases???
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2004, 01:19:35 AM »
First, there are enough lawyers on this board to make up a fairly large mob.

Second, from Rohrbaugh's lawyer's point of view, you cannot have an AD if the firearm isn't loaded. That is why that stupid language is in there. It is simple CYA boilerplate. From a practical point of view, the language makes no sense. It is like buying a car with the recommendation that people remove the engine to avoid traffic accidents. If people wanted a horse they would buy a horse.

As to legal language--if you want to write as a lawyer, you need to capitalize everything. Something happens to people when they go to law school. They forget how to write, or at minimum, forget third grade grammer rules. It drives me nuts.

Another bit of trivia, lawyers consume more highlighters than any other group of people in the world, and not just in one color either.  We need a rainbow. Even with multiple colors, lawyers will then underscore the highlighted text in ink as well, just to be certain nothing is missed. As a result, the only text that is "highlighted" is the text not highlighted.

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2004, 01:47:38 AM »
It's a good thing Gun-Tests didn't bother to read the Rohrbaugh manual. Imagine the added criticism they could have come up with.
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline sbrenner

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2004, 06:08:21 AM »
My firearms are always loaded. One in the tube.

On and off duty.

Firearm in pocket or right hip in a Fobus paddle holster.

Under a one pocket T-shirt. Yes, my wife doesn't like it.

Because they always have little holes in them.

I do not know it she even likes me after 39 years?

I can wait to get the R-9 s. The longer I wait on my order the better it will be. I have faith. Rohrbaugh said I may have in in Oct. and I will be happy when I get it No rush.

I plan on it being in uniform shirt pocket or left  front pants pocket.

Everything in its time.

And Just purchased a 2003 motor bike V-Star 1100 cc.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2004, 12:43:53 PM »
Bill .... this almost seems a ''catch 22'' .... the gun maker is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't!!

I guess - perhaps - the manual couold cover both aspects.  Viz .....

''It is recommended for maximum safety to keep the chamber empty.  However to maximize self protection a chambered round is desirable, at the discretion of the owner''!!!

Some way to cover all bases???

If I were writing the manual, I would start with the idea that the gun is intended for people who are properly trained in its use, and encouraging any untrained purchasers to seek proper training.

I would then list the basic rules of firearms safety, saying that it should be unloaded unless being kept in a high state of readiness.

Then I would list the proper precautions for a high state of readiness (covered trigger when holstered, never sotred in any manner that could possibly permit anything to enter the trigger area, locking the gun up when not in your immediate control).

I would then throw in a complete and nasty-sounding list of the potential consequences if the above precautions aren't followed (serious injury or death, liability for anything or anyone your bullet hits, liability for a child getting hold of the gun, liability if the gun is stolen and used in a crime, etc.).

I think that would cover them as well as anything.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline gunner930

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2004, 08:18:43 AM »
 Chambered and ready to "Rock & Roll".  8)  I do have a .22mag NAA Mini I also carry in which I leave the hammer on an empty chamber because there is no trigger guard and they are single action only anyways. I just dont trust the half cocked safety in my pocket.  

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2004, 08:49:27 AM »
Gunner930

The current NAA Mini's have a safety notch between the charge holes.   The hammer can be safely lowered into this notch, and be between two of the five live rounds.   If your Mini is not this configuration, NAA will convert it free of charge..   :)
RJ=

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2004, 09:56:33 AM »
Duane, Gunner ....... can either of you give me a weight on the NAA Mini??  Never even seen one close up - and wondering what the ''pocket burden'' actually is.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site